The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 12, 2008, 05:02 PM   #26
BillCA

Hoppe's works well as a cleaner and it contains a light oil that will help protect the gun's finish too.

If I want a bore really clean, it seems that RIG #44 bore cleaner really gets the job done, but it's more expensive than Hoppe's.

That said, after a heavy shooting session, I pull the grips, field strip the gun and put it in a pan with about 2.5" of Hoppe's while I clean up and put away ammo, brass, etc. After 20 minutes or so, the gun is easily cleaned and I can soak another gun while cleaning the first.

I don't waste it either. I keep an old, partial bottle and pour the "used" Hoppe's back through 3 coffee filters to reduce the particulate contamination.
Old January 12, 2008, 11:00 PM   #27
skeeter

Anyone else use it as an cologne? I get comments about it being so exotic smelling.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:45 AM   #28
tomf52

Hoppe's #9 is a good product that I will continue to have on hand but I have to admit after carefully cleaning one of my rifles recently I followed up by putting a wet patch with "Ed's Red" down the bore and let it sit for a few hours. I then ran a clean, dry, tight fitting patch down the bore and was amazed at the ammount of fouling still in there. I will be doing some more comparative cleaning tests in the future to further prove or disprove this find. Google "Ed's Red" to find the formula. Cheap, simple to make but don't let it get on any stock finishes or plastic parts if you include the acetone in it's formula.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:59 AM   #29
JWT

Works great for soaking choke tubes to remove the 'burned on' plastic wad residue. Soak them in Hoppes for about and hour and the crud brushes off easily. May be one of the older solvents, but still works very well.
Old January 13, 2008, 12:11 PM   #30
Wildalaska

Quote:
I get comments about it being so exotic smelling.
I get those comments no matter what I wear

WildcocoAlaska TM
Old January 14, 2008, 06:17 AM   #31
BillCA

Quote:
I get those comments no matter what I wear
Maybe you need new laundry soap?
Old January 14, 2008, 12:57 PM   #32
Tempest45

As well as Weapon Shield works, there is no need for Hoppe's 9 any longer IMHO. Especially with foaming bore cleaners to get any copper build up.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:24 PM   #33
ZeSpectre

Hoppes #9 cleaner gives me an instant headache so I don't use it anymore. I've switched completely to Weapon Shield (along with some outers foaming bore cleaner for copper fouling).
Old January 14, 2008, 02:19 PM   #34
UniversalFrost

hoppes is good stuff and I buy it in the BIG bottles from Midway, but my all time fave is the CLP. I got hooked on this stuff while in the service and still use it to this day on everything for just about any use including cleaning (still use a good bore solvent like butch's, etc..) and also for a lube/preservative when storing.

Hoppes is always a good standby, but give CLP a try (get the large spray bottle version).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 17, 2008, 12:49 AM   #35
schmellba99

I've been using Hoppe's for 20 some odd years, and my grandfather before that. I've got a shotgun from the early 40's that has never been cleaned with anything other than Hoppes, and probably has had 250k rounds (or more) pumped through it. Never had a problem, and I adhere to the old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

I've tried CLP, and while it works ok, I wasn't really thrilled with the results. Leaves too heavy of an oil finish. It works great for my MP5, but I have to be careful with my trigger group - if I shoot a lot of rounds and use CLP to clean it with, I either have to give it a couple of shots of carb cleaner and then RemOil afterwords, or let it sit upside down and "drain" for a couple of hours before reassembling the weapon. Too much oil is just as bad as too little oil, and CLP tends to be on the "too much oil" side more often than not.

One thing to remember about cleaners - too harsh a cleaning agent can damage the metal inside your barrel. It might only be a few molecules thick, but using harsh chemical agents over time can eventually cause enough damage to the bore of the firearm to create problems. Stick with what works, and something that has been around since the invention of firearms is still used for a reason.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:35 AM   #36
joneb

Quote:
I got hooked on this stuff while in the service and still use it to this day on everything for just about any use including cleaning
I'm a Hoppe head myself, got hooked when I was a kid
I use #9 as a powder solvent after that I may use other solvents for lead and copper fouling.
Old January 18, 2008, 07:11 AM   #37
rgates

Hoppes is what I always used and went back to after trying something new that didn't work, that is untill Weapon Shield. I now use it for everything except heavy copper. Then it's Sweet's, followed by Weapon Shield. Everyone I've let use my Weapon Shield became a convert.
Old January 20, 2008, 06:54 PM   #38
tegemu

I'm one. It's great on guns and makes a great cologne too.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:51 PM   #39
JBP55

Weapon Shield and TW25B
Old January 20, 2008, 11:37 PM   #40
armedandsafe

I've been using it since the '40s. I used it in Northern Alaska for years without any gumming problems. Perhaps because I always wipe down after cleaning? hmmmmmm

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old January 20, 2008, 11:52 PM   #41
UniversalFrost

like i said in my previous post. CLP is my fave now, but I still use hoppes.

discovered CLP while in the military and use it every time I clean and lulbe a gun, reel, etc...

always wipe down after use and no problems. Did have some problems with my reising (full auto .45ACP), but learned to really limit the clp and wipe extra thorough.

my bro and dad still swear by hoppes (dad has been using for at least 20-30 years and probably since the 50's but I would have to ask).

bro uses hoppes because he "borrows" it from my dad when he visits. he sometimes borrows my CLP when I am up there, but I kindly borrow it back before I head back south.

hoppes is still second best for me and is easy to get at just about anywhere (gas station, bait and tackle store, wally world, etc....).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 21, 2008, 10:12 AM   #42
JRAR78

I use Hoppe's # 9 Solvent and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil in all of my firearms.