The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 5, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Hans

Browning X-Bolt

Has anyone handled or used the Browning X-Bolt? What did you think of it? Did you like the detachable magazine or not?
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 5, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Horseman

I haven't handled one yet but I have read enough to have formed an opinion. The magazine seems like an overcomplication of a simple thing. It is rotary and all plastic if I'm not mistaken. It reminds me of the over engineered T-bolt magazine which is also riddled with plastic. I expect the X-bolt to be an excellent performer considering the A-bolt has proven itself for two decades IMHO. The only thing I don't like is the plastic anything on a rifle in this price range. There is plenty of competition in this price range as you know.
Old January 5, 2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Hans

The main reason I am considering it is because I am looking for a rifle in .25-06 that is less than 7 lbs. for a deer/antelope rifle. There aren't very many options, other than the Rem. 700 Alaskan Titanium and the Sako Finnlight, which are both quite a bit more expensive.
Old January 5, 2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Wildalaska

I have handled one and started a thread on it, but I cant find it....the thread I mean...

The magazine is polymer, not plastic and deceptively simple.

Browning has a winner

WildtheyshootnicetooAlaska ™
Old January 5, 2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Horseman

I would look at the Kimber 8400 in 25-06. They are lightweight, good shooters, hand checkered, superb triggers, and look and feel like a custom rifle. The claw controlled action is smooth as glass and they are very neatly glass bedded. I have heard of mixed results with accuracy, but my experiences have been excellent with more than one 8400. I own several Brownings and the Kimber in my opinion is a definite step up. Street price around $950 for the 8400 Classic. Whatcha think?
Old January 6, 2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Hans

I didn't realize that Kimber chambered a rifle in the .25-06. It actually looks more like what I am looking for. I want a rifle that I can pack into the mountains for a week long mule deer hunt, as well as a lightweight rifle I can put a bipod on for antelope hunting where long range shooting is sometimes necessary. The Kimber looks like it would fit the bill nicely. Thanks.
Old January 6, 2008, 09:32 PM   #7
BIGR

Have not read up on this rifle. What is it supposed to be an A bolt with a detachable magazine?
Old January 6, 2008, 09:35 PM   #8
zoomie

Here ya go Wild...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273167

Now I've helped you out...
Old January 6, 2008, 11:12 PM   #9
theoldgringo

Polymer.......plastic.......I don't care...........Whichever it's made of the bottom line is, the only reason to put such a material on a rifle of this repute is to further line the deepest pockets of their ever demanding stock-holders.

To buy one? It certainly gives me cause to hesitate. Semper fi, gents
Old January 7, 2008, 04:07 AM   #10
Hans

Thanks for finding that thread, I tried the search before I started this but it wouldn't work. Thanks.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:52 AM   #11
Wildalaska

Quote:
Whichever it's made of the bottom line is, the only reason to put such a material on a rifle of this repute is to further line the deepest pockets of their ever demanding stock-holders.
On the other hand, to the consumer, it represents a durable part that wont rust...

Have you ever seen detatchable steel mags after a 5 day rainy hunt in Alaska ?

"Nice dude, oil up that baby once in a while if you leave it in the skiff"

WildbetthestockholderslovesyntheticstockstooAlaska TM
Old January 7, 2008, 09:18 AM   #12
billindenver

On my hunting rifle I want as much polymer as I can get. One, it's lighter...two no rust..and three not shiny. Better yet, make it polymer done in camo and I'm smiling.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the wood on my citori but it is a skeet gun and looks pretty in such an environment. My other scattergun and all rifles are for hunting and those are exposed to snow, rain, mud and rocks....no wood there.
Old January 7, 2008, 10:00 PM   #13
BIGR

Put a finish similar to whats on Remingtons XCR on the x bolt and then they got them an all weather gun. I assume the X bolt is some sort of stainless. Stainless can still rust under certain conditions right?
Old January 8, 2008, 11:02 PM   #14
projp

Hello all, post #1

Any word on delivery of the X Bolt?
I have been told any where from Dec 07 to Summer 08 by various learned people, but every one seems to be just guessing. I have been keeping an eye on Davidson's with no luck yet. Any solid info?
Thanks
Jeff
Old December 8, 2008, 06:46 AM   #15
tmbol

X-BOLT

12-8-08

Just purchased x-bolt in 7mm-wsm, feels great, looks great [composit stalker], don't beleive it will rust too easy, 1/2 to 3/4 in. 3 shot groups at 100 yds, 139 gr. hornady sst and RL19 powder, approx 3200 fps, light weight.

I like everything about it, especially the magazine!
Old December 8, 2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The mag is like a giant 10/22 mag---VERY TOUGH---you could drive a truck over it and it will be ok.
-------Metallica
Old December 8, 2008, 09:24 AM   #17
sureshots

Not My Cup Of TEA

I was real excited after reading and researching the new X-Bolt. I had already decided to buy one. I went with money in hand to Gander Mountain,spotted the Brownings and laid my eyes on my first X-Bolt. Picked it up, looked it over and man was I dissapionted. It certainly did not impress me at all. It was just A slightly dressed up A-Bolt. I liked the stock grain and finish but that was it for me. It was just not my cup of TEA.
Old December 8, 2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Horseman

The thing I noticed right away is they point better than possibly any other rifle I've ever handled. Very slim in the wrist and forearm. Very light and compact. Most people I've heard who handle them remark on how nimble it feels. Very similar feel to a Kimber 84 or 8400 if you're familiar with them.

I sighted in a couple of new X-bolts this year as a volunteer for an open to the public sight in program. Like any A-bolt I've ever seen, the 2 x-bolts were great shooters. They both shot groups well under 1" @100yds using factory ammo.

Last edited by Horseman; December 8, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:24 PM   #19
Kent E

I agree with the horseman, handling the x bolt fits like no other. I'm holding out for a stainless stalker in 308. I haven't been able to get a hold of one yet.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:25 AM   #20
Deerhunter264

i have an x bolt 243 and i think it is a really good gun./ the clip is realy nice./it is also a very light gun and i like it for when i am walking around hunting ./i can carry it all day with no problem./
Old December 20, 2008, 12:31 AM   #21
RedneckFur

All the gun shops around here have dozens of brownings. Aparently they're very popular around here, but I never see anyone shooting them.
Old December 23, 2008, 02:51 PM   #22
Kent E

Actually, I never hear of people talking about them. Although, they have a very good reputation and people who do have them seem to like them very much.

If anyone sees an x-bolt in .308 stainless, give a holler, I want to know when they are coming available so then I can pester my local gun shop
Old December 26, 2008, 10:52 AM   #23
browntailguy

I have been in the market for a new 25-06 in stainless that weighs less than 7 pounds as well. I have handled the X-bolt and it mounts really nice, the recoil pad is very soft and the action is quite smooth. I compared it to the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless and the action on the Tikka is silky smooth (a lot smoother than the x-bolt) weighs less and is $280 cheaper than the x-bolt for the stainless version. I own a couple brownings and a couple tikkas in the whitetail hunter and love them both. But for me, if I were going to be walking the plains out west or up the up the mountains in cruddy weather I would choose the Tikka T3 Lite ins Stainless. It may not be the sexiest looking gun in the world, but it is a tool and damned accurate. Just my .02 cents
Old March 4, 2009, 07:53 PM   #24
Susquatch

X-Bolt Magazine

Just thought I should add some new info to this thread in case others search it. I've had a real good look at the X-Bolt and I love it. Especially the new magazine which is the primary subject of this thread. I agree with another poster, "You could drive a truck over it". It is NOT plastic as most people know it. It is a tough polymer composite - the kind they make light weight structural parts out of for things like fighter jets. You could not make this magazine out of steel or titanium and if you did, it would not be as good.

Perhaps one of the clip's best features that is made possible by its high-strength polymer construction is the "in-line" way that it holds cartridges. They are not staggered like in normal magazines. They are all held in a continuous curved line. This makes it possible to hold each individual bullet by both of its case shoulders so that the bullet tip can never hit the front of the magazine and can never get damaged by the guns recoil movement the way that tips are in most other guns.

To describe this work of art as "cheap plastic" is a little like describing the rocky mountains as piles of limestone. This clip is like the rockies in some ways. It is rugged, beautiful, inspiring, and worth way more than the price of admission.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:24 PM   #25
Albertaguy

I just purchased a 2506 Stainless Stalker in xbolt and love it. The magazine is much nicer feeling than a metal one and the bullets feed great. I also love the feel of the stock. Using 115 gr ballistic bullets loaded for my old 2506 the xbolt shot 1 1/2 inch groups, and with 75 gr ballistics it shot 1/2 inch groups. Now I have the fun of seeing how much I can tighten those groups when I start reloading specifically for this rifle. I have a Tikka T3 in 22-250 and like it, but now I wish it was in an xbolt.