The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 29, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1
BlueDragon

Ive been bit by the revolver bug.

Never thought it would happen i admit, i have always been fond of semi auto's, in terms of looks and function. However i am starting to want to do revolver shooting more and more. I used to own, and i use the term "used" to own a Taurus 38 copied after a Smith&Wesson M10 but lent it to my grandpa for home defense duty, and he wont ever give it back, or even let me take it to the range :barf: And i must admit i miss shooting revolvers. I want something cheap yet effective, for both play and carry. I have been looking around in the usual places, and i decided i would like a Rossi 68 as i really like shooting the 38 special round, annnnd because i really want a snub nose gun partly for ease of CCW and partly because i just think snub noses look cool. My question is this, are these guns any good? just because i like how they look dosen't mean their preformance is just as good....so yeah i would like to know all i can from people who have them or had them in the past. Also does anyone know of any place that might be selling them?
Old December 30, 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Neophyte1

Ruger

BlueDragon: Sir; I prefer Ruger. The long life, strength, looks, and availability of 'Rugers' service. Several different models SP101- GP100- Single Six; barrel lengths, from 2-6" stainless, or blue.
Rossi I personally know nothing about.

By the standards of most
Old December 30, 2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

Spend the extra couple bucks and get a Ruger.
Old December 30, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
38splfan

Ruger.

I agree with the others about the Ruger. Great guns, lots of fun at the range and comfortable to carry (The SP101 anyway) They build great single actions, too.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUT.........

That's not what you asked about

You wanted to know about Rossi. I don't have experience with the .38's, but my dad and I "shared" a Rossi 972 stainless .357 until I was 21. Great gun. Soda can accurate at 50 yards and closer, and reliable with reasonable factory loads. No Buffalo Bore or anything, but standard factory stuff should was fine. Awesome gun IMHO.
I can't tell you about the other models specifically, but overall, they are decent guns. Also, they were just recently bought by Taurus, and the quality has gone way up.

I'm sure they're not bad guns. And should serve you fine.
Old January 7, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5
JeffLrrp

go Ruger. Long after the Rossi has been broken down, the Ruger will be there
Old January 7, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Sgt.Fathead

Save as well as you can, pick up any spare change you see (I do, my motto being, "Find a penny, pick it up, 99 more and I've got a buck!"). In short, get a Ruger and join us in owning a well near indestructible, excellent shooting wheel gun.

Rossi makes a great door stop or paperweight when it breaks.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:57 PM   #7
JaserST4

Another Ruger vote here, I have the SP101, built like a tank and the cosmetics are very good. I've seen a few folks say they are slightly rough and triggers not quite up to a Smith, but other than that, rave reviews.
Old January 7, 2008, 03:54 PM   #8
KingofAttendance
Registration in progress

I like to go around to shops and shows looking at used Colt's and Smith's. Usually great deals.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:21 PM   #9
BillCA

+1 Kingof...

Save your nickles & dimes and look for a previously-owned S&W revolver. I'm seeing some nice guns made in the 50's and 60's pop up that look like they were someone's nightstand gun. Many of these look like they were fired once, cleaned and never used. As the last of the WW-II generation ages, their children are forced to do something with their parent's revolver when mom or dad dies or moves into a nursing home.

Take your time and look for a used specimen that is still tight and shows that it was cared for. Often times you'll end up with a better gun for the same price as a new Taurus or Rossi.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I'm seeing some nice guns made in the 50's and 60's pop up that look like they were someone's nightstand gun. Many of these look like they were fired once, cleaned and never used
Don't be afraid of stainless guns that show a little cosmetic wear either. If they are mechanically sound a little work can restore them to full beauty.

I found this Smith m60 very cheap. It was mechanically very sound and appeared to have seldom ever been fired...but it had obviously been carried alot and was dirty, scuffed, scratched, and worn.

A little 600 grit sandpaper, some oil, and a little buffing and it looks like new again.

(oh, and new grips of course)

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 7, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:50 PM   #11
dbsoundguy

Bluedragon...
Here is the only section i know of on Rossi in a forum..
There is some pretty good info in there...Might help
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?board=19.0

Quote:
A little 600 grit sandpaper, some oil, and a little buffing and it looks like new again.
Playboypenguin...
that sure does look new, beautiful gun

The S/W are great, especally if you can find one at a good price,and they seem to stay around forever...

The Taurus line has come a long way and though not perfect are turning out to be pretty good guns for the price also....

Good luck on your search

Devin
Old January 8, 2008, 01:16 AM   #12
BikerRN

I would get a used S&W without the "lock" or a new or used Ruger.

There's an old saying, "You get what you pay for." In the case of a handgun I would spend a little more now to get something of quality than pay less now but have to pay more money later to either fix it or replace it.

I tend to stick with proven manufacturers that have been around longer than some of the others. In my book, Ruger is a young "upstart".

Biker
Old January 8, 2008, 01:20 AM   #13
Sgt.Fathead

A Nice Calm Center

Oh, Biker, I will not rise to that bait! We all have a good time on here hawking our favorite firearms though, don't we?
Old January 8, 2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Neophyte1

bait

Sarge: Sir; we can take him

By the standards of most
Old January 8, 2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Sgt.Fathead

I'm not so sure, all joking aside, that we could take Biker. Cyber bravado and mild joking aside, his various postings lead me to believe him a formidable opponent.

Neophyte, I very much appreciate your comments and support but must make one small point. A Sgt. in The Marine Corps is never called 'Sarge', that is an Army custom. Also, a Marine Sgt. such as myself who never had the privilege of serving as a Drill Instructor at either Parris Island or San Diego Recruit Depot(s) is never addressed as 'Sir'.

It makes me feel old, too.
Old January 8, 2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Taurus_9mm

Ruger GP100 or Taurus Tracker/66.
Old January 8, 2008, 06:22 PM   #17
mike53

Total agreement on the revolvers, I received and inherited a bunch of guns over Xmas but the only ones that make me happy when I hold them are the revolvers. ????????
Old January 8, 2008, 06:47 PM   #18
XD45Compact

I love my XD, but there's nothing quite like the feeling I get when I handle and shoot my Ruger GP100 .357 w/4" barrel. It's like functional art...better curves and lines where the XD is all business and less sexy.
XD45 Compact * XDm 9mm * XD9 SubComp * Fusion PRO-Series ELITE Custom 1911 * Fusion Custom 1911 Scout Elite 45 ACP * STI Trojan 9mm 1911 * Ruger GP100 4" .357 * S&W 642 Centennial * Beretta 92FS INOX * Mossberg 930SPX 12ga. * Stag Arms AR-15 Model-2H & 5H * Savage BAS LE - .308 * '09 Savage Weather Warrior .308
Old January 9, 2008, 12:10 AM   #19
saber9

I have owned 6 different .38 snubbies and will offer my opinions of them based solely on my experiences with them. None of them were Rossi's, but I have heard their quality has improved since Taurus bought them.

The various J frame S&W's are excellent in every way except their grips on mainly the earlier models. Pachmayr or Hogue grips make them excellent.

The Taurus 85 is a copy of the S&W 36 and has been around a long time. It is a very fine firearm and is lower priced than a S&W. I have never known of anyone who has owned one to be critical of it. It is a great value.

Colt Detective Special: has been out of production for a long time. Used ones are seen often, but they are very high priced. They are a little larger and heavier than a J frame S&W or a Taurus 85, but they hold 6 rounds. Their stock grips are very good.

Ruger SP101: larger and heavier than a J frame or 85 Holds 5 rounds. Available with 2" or 3" barrels. 4"? I'm not sure. Available in .38 & .357.
They are built like a tank. A lot of ranges have them for rental guns, because they don't seem to ever wear out or give problems of any kind. Their stock grips are OK, but many people like a Hogue better.

I believe these are the best compact revolvers around and a person couldn't go wrong with any of them.