The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Dwight55

Need Chronograph Suggestion/Advice

I'm getting a bit deeper in reloading and having some fun with it too, . . . but thought I'd pick up a chronograph to really see what I am doing.

I've never used one, owned one, nor for that matter even seen one in the real.

Therefore, if you have any good advice on something in the $150 or less range, . . . (or if you have any info on a DO NOT BUY unit), . . . I'd sure be glad to read about it.

Thanks for the help, . . . may God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 25, 2007, 03:09 PM   #2
ConRich

Hi Dwight,
I would recomend the "Shooting CHRONY", there are several models to choose from and cost from $79 to about $170. I have the "Master Beta Chrony" model, it has a 15' cord and the display can be placed on your shooting bench for real easy reading. It cost about $110 and works real well. I used to have one of their older models, it worked well but didn't have the
15' cord and remote display so as I got older and my eyesight went south I upgraded to the newer model. IMO It is money well spent.

Hope this helps,

Rich
Old December 25, 2007, 03:20 PM   #3
armoredman

I have a Chrony F1, the bottom of the line, cost about $65 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Works Ok, when I am not shooting the wires off...
Old December 25, 2007, 03:41 PM   #4
jsflagstad

+1 on the F1, I have one and it has worked well for me.JSF
Old December 25, 2007, 06:04 PM   #5
rwilson452

I never owned a F1 Chrony. My first was an Alpha Master. I highly recommend the master variant of the Chrony series. A few buck more but it nice having the brains on the bench with you. I decided to upgrade it last year and upgraded it to a Gamma there was little difference in the price of the upgrade. Now I have the printer, cable to hook to a PC and their software. The nice part about the Beta and Gamma models it will save the data even when you unplug it and take it home. But it is a bit more. For casual use the F1 or Alpha will serve your needs.

Now some guy will tell you you need to find an out of production Ohler 35P.

Sure you do.
Old December 25, 2007, 07:35 PM   #6
enstorm

I got a shooting chrony about 3 years or so ago and it is priced right and seems accurate
Old December 25, 2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Doublestack

+1 for the Alpha shooting Chrony with the 15" cord and read out at the bench. Mine has worked fine for the last 10 years or so. No complaints, and the price was right. It also folds up small enough to put into my range bag!

DS
Old December 27, 2007, 07:24 AM   #8
IDLH1950

+1 for the Chrony Beta Master.
Old December 30, 2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Dwight55

Thanks, guys for the info, . . . I'm definitely interested in getting one, . . . and I really like that idea of the brain sitting with me, . . . or at least the readout.

I just wonder if anyone down in equipment has one gathering dust they would like to part with???

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 30, 2007, 10:42 PM   #10
armedandsafe

I have had the SC F1 for about 15 years, now. Love it and have never shot it. (SHHHHHH) I think I will upgrade to the one with the brains on the table, as I'm going to be running a bunch of teens and pre-teens through the class over the next few Summers.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 30, 2007, 11:25 PM   #11
Stargazer

I had a Chrony but the times of day I wanted to shoot and the direction I "had" to shoot were incompatible. I go shooting early and the sun was always coming in from the left side of the unit or shadows from the trees would mess with it. SC suggestion was for me to move it out a good 20 feet from the muzzle. My suggestion was to sell the Chrony and I got an IR screen PACT. Now sun light is not an issue anymore when using the IR screens. It works day or night at anytime of day, inside or outside. At only 10 foot from the muzzle.

M70 Web Page
Old December 30, 2007, 11:28 PM   #12
robc

I don't have a chrony yet, but I know what I'm going to get... the cheapest one I can find. Why? I know I'm going to shoot it.

My second chrony will be nice.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Mach II Sailor

here is the one i use, very simple and priced right.

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph $99.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=852429
Old January 2, 2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Tex32cal

I vote for the Chrony Beta Master. I have one plus a printer which I also think is a necessity.

My chrony still works even after I shot one of the screen uprights with a 45 ACP round. I still haven't found the rod, so I suppose it is in the next county or in orbit.

Michael
Old January 2, 2008, 04:20 PM   #15
thekyrifleman

Shooting Chrony

Agree with all the Shooting Chrony comments. I have an original ( about 12-13 yrs)...Had cardboard inserts...have had it modified and updated twice,, and it still works like a champ. Just be prepared to be disappointed when and if you clock any factory loads or try and duplicate some of the "optimistic" manual velocities: You can't get there from here!!!
Old January 2, 2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know the current lot, but my dad's old model Chrony is very sensitive to lighting conditions. Tilt the angle slightly and the readings change. On a good day with high sun we fired the same .308 load from the same rifle over both that machine and my Oehler 35P. We found the Chrony was reading about 200 fps too high. I have also got a CED Millenium. It runs about $30 over your limit, but its agreement with the Oehler is very tight and it has optional IR screens if you want to get them later.
NRA Patron Member
Old January 2, 2008, 10:48 PM   #17
.45 COLT

I've used the Competition Electronics ProChrono for years with only self-inflicted problems. Shot one dead center with a .357 and another one when a shotgun load didn't behave like I thought it would. Both times I went and got another one just like the one I killed.

DC
Old January 3, 2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Mach II Sailor

.45 Colt,
excuse me for laughing, i done the same thing with some thin jacked bullets from my .499LWR, by some miracle granted by GOD, the 5 fragments hit the face and only damaged the plastic faceplate, no vitals were hit, i called CE, they sent me a new faceplate.