The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2007, 11:36 AM   #1
SLANTNOSE1

.357 Multiple Projectile Ammunition

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had, or does have any f this type of ammo? I found some several years ago. It is Remington .357 Multiple Projectile Ammunition. It has 3, .357 slugs inside of each cartridge. I have not fired any of it, being I thought it would be a collectible one day. I have several different types, caliber and brands of multiple projectile ammunition. I was just wondering if anyone else had any type of this ammunition.
Old December 17, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
pesta2

I have seen the ammunition for sale in a catalog before but can not remember which one. It had 3 rounds ball in the case and very little room for powder so it would not be a very powerful round . I would not use it for SD.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
katana8869

I have to agree with pesta2. In addition to not having a very heavy charge, the individual projectiles (round lead balls in the ones that I have seen) don't weigh very much. Therefore, the penetration that you are able to get would be pretty limited.

I'd just put them on a shelf somewhere (although they would be fun to shoot up milk jugs with )
Old December 18, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
arizona98tj

30 years ago, I use to load 3 rounds of buckshot into a Speer .38 cal empty snake shot container. This would then be loaded as the "bullet" in a .357 cartridge. At hallway distances, it would put those three .30 cal balls within the center of mass area on a target. Given I was shooting them in a .357, I wouldn't say they were "wimpy".

Just one of the many joys that reloading your own ammo brings you.
Old December 19, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
bedlamite

As I recall, 000 buckshot is .358 in diameter, and weighs about 50 grains each. I used 3 of them with light 38 spl 158 gr data in a .357 case and it worked. Good for the novelty, but not much else. I brought it to the local pistol match once and there was some confusion on how to score 6 holes in the target.
Old December 19, 2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Tom2

I had read of that load, it is somewhat old. In light of current state of the art defense ammo, I would assign that stuff to the category of curiosity, relic, collectable and novelty. Unless you can find some documentation of how it was ever actually used in SD shooting or it's effectiveness. Someone else would have picked up the baton on it if it was really useful stuff. If the concept appeals to you for some reason, you might consider that Taurus revolver that shoots .410 buckshot or .45 Colt as an alternative. Probably more effective than three shirt button bullets in a 357 case by some margin.