The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

PX4 parts????

HELP!!!

I've been looking for about an hour for somewhere to buy the "stealth decocking lever" and "a lighter hammer" to convert my PX4 model F to a G. I found a couple of things on berettashop.com but I'm not sure that's what I need to buy...found another site wanting to charge 60.00 for the lever, sounds way too much.

I've found plenty of articles of how to turn the safety into a decocker only but really want the low profile decocking lever. Any guidance is appreciated...I can't believe I'm having trouble finding something this simple.
Old December 16, 2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Don P

PX4 Storm

From the Beretta Forums,
I HAVE SUCESSFULLY CONVERTED MY PX4 TO A G MODEL .
All that is required is to remove a ball bearing and a spring. That's it. I'm so happy to be back as a "G" man again!!!!!

PROCEDURE:
1. Remove the slide and take out the recoil spring assembly and the barrel. #3, #2, #30

2. Using a small punch, remove the pin holding on the right side safety lever (#14) and remove the side lever (#12) covering it with your hand or using a baggie. That spring flies! (#13)

3. I took out the extractor and it helps to hold in the firing pin during re-assembly. Not sure if it's required though #6, 7, 8, 9....there's two springs, one inside the other.

4. While pressingin on #11 (not sure of the name), rotate the remaining safety lever and slide out It will stop after about 1/8". You should remove the small pin (#19) from the lever assembly. Now remove the safety lever. Should come out somewhat easily. (#12)

5. The spring and ball bearing (#15 and #16) are the parts to take out. I used a paperclip and bent it at 90 deg. and tapped it out with a small hammer.

REASSEMBLY
Assemble in reverse order:

1. Press in #11 and insert the safety lever. Make sure you put it in, then put back the small pin (#19) before pressing in on #11 (I used a small punch to hold the firing pin form the side where the extractor was) and insert the rest of the way.

2. Install the extractor springs and extractor

3. Installing the last safety lever is tricky. The best way to do it is to out the spring into the lever and hold it on its side. Then, move the slide above it. The spring points up, put it into the top notch in the slide. then, rotate and press in. You will need to hold it in place to pin it, but my pin went in easily.

4. Reassemble the slide with barrel and recoil assembly.

5. Enjoy your "G THANG!!!!!"
Here's the web site,http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/
Old December 16, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Don P

92FS and PX4 Storm parts

here is a parts supply for Beretta's
http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/parts.htm.
Hope all the info is of some help.
From what I have been able to find if you want the stealth look it will cost you $60 bucks. He is the only one I have found that has what you,I want. Good luck and If you should find the levers cheaper please post the site.

Last edited by Don P; December 16, 2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: adding info
Old December 16, 2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

I found both of those resources...sounds like way too much money for that little piece of metal...I am considering just doing the "mojo" but would really like the lo-pro lever.

Here's a question...what are the pro's and con's of a lighter hammer? As I understand it the tension of the springs is what makes a trigger light or heavy. Would a lighter hammer equal light primer strikes???

Sorry for the remedial level questions...just thinking about getting into something I've never pursued before.
Old December 16, 2007, 10:28 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

In a semi auto, lightening the hammer spring will have the following effects.
  • Reduce the DA trigger pull.
  • Reduce the SA trigger pull (the effect will be less pronounced than on the DA pull).
  • The slide will be easier to rack.
  • The slide velocity during firing will be slightly higher.
  • The primer strike will be lighter.
Old December 16, 2007, 11:21 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

John, I meant a hammer that was physically a little smaller and lighter. I don't think there's a spring to replace, just a smaller hammer.

I found it for 24.00 (it's actually a factory part for the G model PX4's), I like it because it's one less thing to worry about printing and sticking me in the love handle when carrying. As long as I'm doing some research into doing a factory mod (changing safety level - decocker) I was curious about this one as well.
Old December 17, 2007, 09:35 PM   #7
MyGunsJammed

I think the PX4 9mm "G" is going to be my first pistol....