The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Laserlips

Sig P245's and Sig P220 Compacts

Help.

Why are the Sig P245's and P220 Compacts not popular?

I'm in the market for a used 45 cal. pistol and in years past I had a full size P220 and it was a fantastic pistol. I like Sigs.

I want a smaller pistol than the full size P220 and only recently even learned about the availability of the the smaller Sigs.

Just searching for input from folks who have personal experience with these models.

Thanks!

J.Pomeroy
Old December 10, 2007, 07:35 PM   #2
David the Gnome

The biggest reason is probably because they're still huge guns, at least compared to other "compact" offerings out there.
Old December 10, 2007, 08:04 PM   #3
IZinterrogator

Well, I never saw any ads or reviews for the P245 when it was out, and the same applies so far for the P220 Compact. Personally, I love my P245.

I started a thread about this 18 months ago, but pertaining to size and grip:barrel ratio vs. a particular model. The consensus was that the loss of capacity was the problem.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213190
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 10, 2007, 08:12 PM   #4
fastbolt

Dunno about the P220 Compacts.

When I asked someone from the company why the P245 had been discontinued he said the decision had simply been based on lack of sales.

When I asked why it may have been lacking in sales, no answer was really forthcoming. Bottom line, it hadn't been selling well so it was discontinued.

I could see the overall higher cost (than polymer framed .45's), lower capacity, and short & fat grip dimensions being factors for some folks.
Old December 10, 2007, 08:18 PM   #5
AK103K

SIG does have some weird ideas as to what "compact" is. Most all their pistols, except for the P230/232 are really not all that different size wise.

I have a P245 and its a great pistol. Its very accurate and reliable. I used to carry both the P220 and the P245, but have since moved over to a P229 in 357SIG. I can get half again as many rounds in a similar sized package and a hotter round to boot. Its still a SIG, so it was an easy decision. I still shoot my SIG .45's, just dont carry them anymore.

I'm not a fan of the P220 Compact due to that silly beavertail. I think they would have been better off to at least have left the P245 available too.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old December 11, 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Laserlips

IZinterrogator & Others:

Thanks for the input on the Sig P245. I read the thread IZinterrogator gave the link to and that was great info also.

It seems there is nothing wrong with the way the Sig P245 or Sig P220 Compact function, just some folks find the pistol too large for cc, or the grip is too small (on the P245) for personal taste.

I'm an old retired fart, and I pretty much have other options in my preferred cc firearms.

So,the addition of a Sig P245 or P220 Compact was not for daily cc, but just something I think I would enjoy having. My full size P220 was just very accurate and the recoil and drama when firing it was more like that of a 9mm than what I had experienced in the past in 1911 Colt types.

I think the answer for me is that I need to hold and see and feel for myself both the P245 and the P220 Compact so I can make a decision for or against either one.

I have read where some folks absolutely hate the "beavertail" on the P220 Compact, while others like it. The person in the video on www.gunblasts.com was very complimentary regarding the beavertail and the way recoil seemed to be lessoned because of it. He also liked the fingertip extension for a better grip, but it would seem you could use the fingertip extension on a P245 too.

Guess I'll just keep looking for a P245 & P220 Compact to check out for myself. I can see where these models are definitely not something a person would want to buy sight unseen, or never having held or fired one.

Thanks again,

J.Pomeroy
Old February 18, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
MrHuckFin

Re:P245

So do any of you guys with the P245's know if it is ammo "picky?" I was out on the range with mine the other day and was using what I thought was some high quality 45 reload's and I've put several hundred rounds through this gun in the past, but this day was awful! I don't think I got 20 rounds through it, it shot the clip (6 rounds plus one in the pipe) with out any trouble and from that moment forward it would not cycle but more then a handful times, and as far as I could tell it was just the bullets, I have a 1000 rounds of these things and I'm going to be "TICKED OFF" if these are bad because I got them just for "plinking" out on the range, but by the same token I'd hate to think that my carry weapon is all of a sudden unreliable? Any advice? I keep this gun VERY clean and well oiled so I'm not sure what to think right now? I don't have another 45 to test these rounds out in so if anybody can tell me what to check on I'd very much appreciate it.

P.S. Look what LaserMax makes for it now! http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=15
Old February 18, 2008, 08:24 PM   #8
geez768

mine would eat anything i would feed it. it is a little heavy but i carried it all the time. never gave me a bit of trouble. if i find another one and have the extra money i will own one again. traded it off like an idiot:barf:
Old February 18, 2008, 09:57 PM   #9
oldandslow

laserlips,

I have a number of compact and full size 45's from Sig, SW 3rd gen, HK, Beretta, etc. and I find that my Sig p245 is my most comfortable 45 compact to carry. It is reliable, accurate, light and carries 6+1 rounds of .45 which should be enough to get out of most trouble spots. An extra 220 mag holding 8 rounds can be carried as a backup. I have large hands and the grip is just right using the 6-roung mags with the curved finger rest (I think they are 220 compact magazine base pads). In summary- the p245 is a great pistol and I don't think you will be disappointed should you buy one.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 19, 2008, 01:03 PM   #10
MrHuckFin

Re:Now What?

Thank you for your reply's geez768, and oldandslow, so now that you both say that they're reliable and will pretty much take anything, now what do I look for on my P245 and it's problem? As I've said before I've had several hundred rounds through it with out a problem and this last time my very clean, very well oiled P245 would not cycle using 4C copper clad reloads. I stripped it down that night and everything looked good, so I just re-cleaned and oiled it and put it all back as it was, I've not gotten out to a firing range yet again, but is there something I can check now or is it just my ammo? I will get some other ammo and try it out and if it is my 4C ammo than I have almost 1000 rounds of junk. I'm hoping that's not the problem either.
Old February 19, 2008, 02:22 PM   #11
bubba182

Grip extender

If you want a little more finger room and more capacity, put in a 220 8 rnd clip and get an X grip extender from Top Gun Supply. It snaps on the bottom of the clip to make a nice extender. Personally I like my 245 the way it is.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Zander1146

P220C3-45-SSS

Hi all, I know this is pretty old but I wanted to throw in my 1 cent worth, I just got a P220C3-45-SSS and I LOVE IT! I love all the Sigs 220 Compacts, except the one with the rail, who would need a rail to CC?

Does anyone know if the 245 is the EXACT same size as the 220 Compact Beavertail? I am wanting to buy a comp-tac kydex body for my Minotaur holster but they don't have a 220 Compact, only the 245...