The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
jfrey123

"Low priced" revolvers

What is everyone carrying for CCW revolvers? I'm looking into something for pocket carry, when uber super concealment will be king. Something that completely disappears in a pocket holster. Budget of around $250ish, new or used. I generally don't prefer revolvers, which is why I don't want to break the bank on this project...

I find myself looking at the NNA mini's in 22mag with the folding grip. Figured I'd get a general consensus from the group though...

Thanks all.
Old December 28, 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
10-96

If you don't do the wheelgun thing, have you looked at the KelTec P3AT or something along that line in either .32 or .380? The price might not be too far off from your mark- and they conceal well, nice and flat. And there are a few more options for personal defense ammo that was intended to stop fights and/or boogers rather than poking holes in cans, rats, bunnies and such.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old December 28, 2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Voyager AL

NEW J-frame S&W 642 was only 320. Look for a used one, or a blued model.
Old December 28, 2007, 05:04 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Revolvers as a whole don't conceal too terribly well, IMO, due to the cylinder thickness - even 5-shot small models. That said, if I were going to pocket carry one, it would be a snubbie or 3" .38 special, alum. frame, with a shrouded hammer - maybe something like this 17 oz one:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
Old December 28, 2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

You might be on a budget but that doesn't mean you have to buy a "cheap" gun. Look for a quality used Smith or Ruger. Smith makes excellent 5 shot Airweights and Ruger makes the SP100 although the SP, in my opinion is a bit heavy for pocket CCW.
Old December 28, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Elvishead

Low price Revolvers sometimes have hidden expenses, and they end up costing as much as a, "not low price revolver."

Good luck
Old December 29, 2007, 12:47 AM   #7
skeeter1

I hate to break it to you...

But decent handguns, revolvers or semi-autos, don't come cheap. The NAA is more of a toy and a novelty. A used .38/.357 S&W or Ruger would be a lot better. New ones cost a pretty good buck, but I think you get what you pay for.
Old December 29, 2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Sarge

No reason this can't be done.

I have seen a lot of 1st generation Charter Arms .38 Undercovers at police qualifications over the years. They always went 'bang' when the trigger was pulled and I never saw one so poorly regulated that it wouldn't keep all five on a B27 at 25 yards. Their only weakness is that the ejector rod cap likes to unscrew & get lost but a drop of blue loctite will cure that indefinitely. They will get loose with high-volume shooting or real heavy loads, but you have control over both those variables.

I still see them used occasionally at $200 or a tad less, and they should serve your purposes fine.

Last edited by Sarge; December 29, 2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo...CAN"T be done
Old December 29, 2007, 09:50 PM   #9
chrisf8657

jfrey,

If your looking at new, your going to get a very poor quality gun at that price point. I'd strongly suggest that you save up more and look at getting a quality name gun. Your trusting your life to it, so paying a little more for it is what you want to do. I went down the same road you are, and I was very sorry. If deep concealment is important, consider a Keltec .380 or Walther. Very small guns, Keltec isn't the highest quality but they work.

For used, typically any S&W, Ruger or Colt, even the small autos from reputable names, will work fine.
Old December 29, 2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Chesster

I have 3 older used Charter Arms SS 2" Undercover .38s I got on auctions for around $200 each. Makes a very good pocket revolver with the right pocket holster. Blued is fine and often a little cheaper. I stay away from Charco and Charter 2000 guns.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old December 29, 2007, 11:02 PM   #11
tonelar

not meaning to thread jack/ is there a consensus regarding Taurus revolvers? they go for a little over the charter arms weapons on the used shelf...
Old December 29, 2007, 11:52 PM   #12
Sarge

Personally I'd prefer the old Charters to any Taurus. As mentioned above, I've never seen a Charter fail to work. Come to think of it, I've seen a half-dozen or so of those old Rossi J-frame copies fired as well, and none of them failed either. I know a couple of dealers who have had to ship Tauruses back to the distributor, before they landed in the display case.

Not saying there aren't some good Tauruses out there; it's just that with my luck, I'd never get one.

Last edited by Sarge; December 30, 2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old December 30, 2007, 12:04 AM   #13
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
not meaning to thread jack/ is there a consensus regarding Taurus revolvers? they go for a little over the charter arms weapons on the used shelf...
I have 1500+ rounds through my Taurus 85 with no problems. It is a nice pocket gun.
Old December 30, 2007, 05:23 AM   #14
Chesster

I have a friend who bought a Taurus 85 that functions flawlessly. So, he buys a second for the wife. Can't get a cylinder full to shoot without a missfire. Sent it back months ago and is still waiting. Before we blame the ammo, he and I buy cases of AE 130gr FMJ and split. Out of the four or five half cases I have fired, no issues or missfires. He tried two other brands it didn't like either.

Last edited by Chesster; December 30, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old December 30, 2007, 02:00 PM   #15
Perldog007

I like the Rossi 461 (?) six shot snubbie .357. A bit over the budget here but looks good to me. I had great luck with a used SS Charter Arms undercover five shot.

Nowadays I have a Colt .32 New Pocket - Circa 1938 that hides real nice in a pocket holster. Not a gun for grizzly bear country for sure though......
Old December 30, 2007, 03:42 PM   #16
ghalleen

Quote:
You'll never get a consensus on Taurus. There are several of us who own several Taurus handguns, and have had terrific experiences with them. There are others who have not had good experiences.

As I've stated before in other threads, my Taurus handguns have been more reliable than my Walther and Glock handguns. Your mileage may very.

I've been informally watching the models of people who say they've had problems. It seems that there are more model 85's that have had problems than others. I have a 617 (.357 titanium 7-shot), 605 (stainless .357 5-shot), and Raging Bull .454. These have been completely reliable for me.
Old December 30, 2007, 03:52 PM   #17
joab

I have had many Taurus revolvers all with zero problems
I have had a few Ruger revolvers and all but one have had disabling problems
But none of them or any of the other revolvers mentioned will do what you are asking
Disappear completely in a pocket

The NAAs are not mere toys or novelties, they are however deep cover and or up close and personal last ditch guns

I have one of those with the flip out handle and honestly would not waste my money on the grip, just too slow to get into operation for the application

There are many many better options for the gun
Neck holsters, pocket holsters and even belt buckles
Old December 30, 2007, 09:49 PM   #18
s4s4u

I picked up my SP-101 snubby used for $255, great shape, just broken in. If you are not set on new you can find some real good deals around on auction or classifieds if you're patient and persistant.
Old January 1, 2008, 11:43 PM   #19
rugernut

thats a very good price on a sp101.you wont find prices like that here in DFW.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:08 AM   #20
jfrey123

Just for the record, I'm not set on new at all. And I'm looking at the NAA 22mag as a last resort. I'll be needing a pocket revolver soon due to work dress code.

Local shop has 5 use SW model 64's for just over $300. Seem a little heavy, but the chrome is in good shape. That smaller "old fashioned" handle is very attractive. I'd also prefer the .357 magnum over a .38 special only, just because I like options lol.

Thanks for the votes on Charter. Found a used Charter Arms that looks flawless, no holster wear on the finish, for under $300. It's the same finish as those new SW Airweights, but I don't know what it's called . Too bad it was .38 special, but it's still in the running.

I've given myself a goal of having a revolver by the beginning of next week. I want to have an option of getting rid of cover garments by Monday. I'll let you guys know what I go with. Thanks so much for the info for your Favorite Noob.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:59 AM   #21
Chesster

Quote:
...NAA 22mag as a last resort...
...SW model 64's....I'd also prefer the .357 magnum over a .38 special only, just because I like options lol.

Thanks for the votes on Charter. Found a used Charter Arms that looks flawless, no holster wear on the finish, for under $300. It's the same finish as those new SW Airweights, but I don't know what it's called . Too bad it was .38 special, but it's still in the running.

I think the stainless Smith 64 2" is a tad on the bulky side and heavy for a pocketgun. A .357 is certainly awesome, but, I find a standard .38 special all I want to handle in an airweight pocket revolver. Accurate follow up shots are difficult enough with the 38 fodder but I don't know how accurate followups would be from a light snubbie in the 357. Some range warriors may disagree but performance is a lot different on the range than in a parking lot with two goons breathing down your neck.

On the older used Charter, a blued one should not exceed $200 and a SS should not exceed $250, again, just one person's opinion.
Old January 2, 2008, 11:31 AM   #22
slow944

I had the same problem and I went with the Kel-Tec P3AT in a De Santis Nemesis holster. Most of the time my wife doesn't even know if I'm carrying or not. I just tell her that I'm glad to see her.
Old January 2, 2008, 04:15 PM   #23
jfrey123

An update for all who helped:

Lunchtime found me wandering our local Sportsman's Warehouse. Looked at two Smith's: A model 637 .38 Special +P 5 shot and her big brother in .357 (not sure on the model).

Went back and forth in my head, even walked away from the counter. Ended up walking back, asking to see the 637 again, and told him to box her up. Out the door for $420. Little over my original goal, but I figure since Santa didn't help with any firearm related presents I might just owe myself something special

(For the guy with the picture of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman demanding pics, the pics will be coming tonight after work... I'm just too excited about it and wanted to let everyone know the search has concluded! )
Old January 2, 2008, 06:55 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
It seems that there are more model 85's that have had problems than others.
Let start off by saying I am totally against Taurus gun ownership. I owned one NIB Taurus and had issues with it after less than 250 rounds. That was my first and last Taurus.

Now that that is of my chest, as ghalleen noted above, it seems that the Taurus Model 85 seems to have the most problems of any Taurus model. Mine, oddly enough, was a Model 85 and a lot of research I did after the fact seemed to conclude that the Model 85s have design or production flaws. Not to say that you can't get a good Model 85, but it seems like you have a better than average chance of getting a crappy one.

You might have better luck with other Taurus models but I feel that their other better made handguns out there.
Old January 2, 2008, 07:20 PM   #25
Mr.RevolverGuy

Wait how is a 642 J frame thicker than a glock 30? I admit for technical details my j frame is 1/4 inch thicker than the glock 30 but does it make that much of a difference I do not think so. I think it depends on the individual body make up and the holster.