The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
AKGunner

Rock Chucker Bench Mounting

Hello,

I have a bench that is about two inches of maple and then 2-3 inches of steel frame before the table starts to overhang. Because of this fact I purchased the Dillon "strong mount" to put my dillon 650 on the table. It allows the machine to attach to the table and not be block by it during the movement of the handle.

I want to put a Rock Chucker next to it to load 300 win mag and S&W .500. Does anyone know if the rock chucker fit without somthing like the strong mount to elavate it above the table?

Thank,
AKGunner
Old December 5, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Scorch

I have had a press mounted on the edge of my bench for over 20 years with no problems. Make sure you put large diameter backing washers underneath the bench when you bolt it on.
Taylor Machine
Old December 5, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

If I understand your description correctly, I think you might have a problem with the Rock Chucker mounted on that particular bench. I measured mine and it allows for a 3 1/2" maximum bench thickness before the bottom arm hits the underside of the bench.

If your bench is 4 to 5 inches thick, you will not be able have a full down-stroke before the nuts on the arm hit the bottom of the bench.

You might be able to make a cutout in the bench under-frame to accomodate the press arm travel. Otherwise you'll need to find a different solution than attaching the press directly to the bench top.
Old December 5, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
rrp

mounting press

I had that problem with arm clearance on my bench too. All you have to do is cut a couple small pieces of 1/2 in plywood about 41/2"x2" and use them to shim where the front of the press meets the bench. It will give you the clearance you need for the arm swing. I've used my rockchucker like this for over 25 years with no problems. Hope this helps and good loading, Rick
Old December 5, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Rugerrat

I purchased an extra Dillon Strong Mount and fabricated a top plate for it on which to mount my Rock Chucker. You will have to shim top plate 3/4 inch to get proper clearance from bench top for RCBS press. Works great for me and puts press at comfortable height along side the Dillon press.
Old December 5, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6
AKGunner

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually home now and have found that my estimate was off by more than a bit. I just measured the bench and it came out right at 3 and 1/2 inches. If need be it sounds like I'll be able to get around the problem of the arm hitting the bench with a little fiddling

I'll pick up the press this weekend!

AKGunner
Old December 16, 2007, 08:48 AM   #7
BHP9

My bench is a 2x4 frame, topped with 2x6's and a sheet of 1/2" plywood cover.

I have my 1050 mounted on the bench and on the end I mounted my RockChucker.

It has 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood underneath and large backup washers. The press is bolted down with carriage bolt and I've never had a problem.

My MEC 700 is mounted on a board and I use a C clamp to hold it to the bench. I'm not loading shotgun very much.