The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 3, 2007, 08:53 PM   #1
PWK

30-06 M1 rifle ballistics

Just wondering what the muzzle velocity and energy were for a 150 gr. FMJ ball ammunition as fired from a garand. Specifically the Lake City armory ammo.
Old December 3, 2007, 09:04 PM   #2
MTMilitiaman

Quote:
.30-06 Military Cartridge Charactaristics

As issued in 1906 the rimless cartridge held a 150-grain spitzer, flat-base cupronickel jacketed bullet with 2700 fps muzzle velocity. In 1926, to improve machine gun effective range, the bullet was replaced by a 172-grain 9-degree boattail design with the same 2700 fps at the muzzle, designated the "Ball, caliber 30, M1." The velocity was reduced for a time to 2640 fps, but in 1938, as the gas-operated Garand came into service, the specs returned to the flat-base 150-grain loading, called the "Ball, caliber 30, M2" round. It was the M2 that accounted for most of the ammunition expended in World War II.
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_firearms_ammo_30-06.php
Old December 3, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3
cobra81

I bought a bunch of Lake City ammo from CMP when I got my M1 Garand last year. Headstamp 68. I ran some of it over my chrono and averaged around 2650 fps. with it.
Old December 4, 2007, 02:56 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

According to the old books

Small Arms of the World (10th edition) lists M1 Garand rifles at 2805fps (M2 ball)

Cartridges of the World (3rd edition) lists M2 Ball as 2740 +/- 30 ft/sec

Individual chronographed speeds from different weapons may vary as much as 100fps with the same lot of ammo. A much smaller variation is more common, but 100fps is not unheard of. Lots of small factors come into play, mostly having to do with the relationship between the ammo and the barrel., as well as temprature and even elevation. A new "tight" barrel may shoot measurably "slower" than an old worn one. Then again, it may not. Each rifle is an individual, and so the "actual" published figure for velocity is only an approximate.
Old December 4, 2007, 08:08 AM   #5
PWK

I have been shooting the lake city ammo through my Garand but would like to try some Remington Core Lokt for deer hunting. It is rated at 2900 fps, so given the variation in military ammo it would seem that 2900 fps wouldn't be unacceptably high.
Old December 4, 2007, 08:38 AM   #6
TNT

I think I would more likely believe the 2700-2800fps range IMO
Old December 4, 2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Doyle

I normally shoot 150grn Rem Core Loks. I'm sighted in 1 3/4" high at about 115 yds. I tried a bunch of no-name ball fmj ammo and was now grouping almost an inch low at the same distance. The ball ammo wasn't loaded nearly as hot as the Rems.

I don't know about Lake City stuff, but this tells me that there is quite a bit of variability in the various choices.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
30Cal

Quote:
I have been shooting the lake city ammo through my Garand but would like to try some Remington Core Lokt for deer hunting. It is rated at 2900 fps, so given the variation in military ammo it would seem that 2900 fps wouldn't be unacceptably high.
It's the pressure at the gas port that matters, not the velocity. If you've got questions as to whether it's suitable, it's worth a 10¢ call to the ammo manufacturer.
Old December 4, 2007, 04:06 PM   #9
rgitzlaff

I second that motion. Call the ammo manufacturer to find out if the pressure curve is okay for the Garand. I know that varget and 4895 are okay in the garand, but anything slower burning may bend your op rod. Happened to me a couple of times before I wised up and realized you can't just put any old .30-06 through that rifle. Now I handload or shoot factory loads meant for the garand.
Old December 5, 2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Swampy1

Ditto both .30 cal and rgitslaff posts....

The pressure curve of M1 gas system safe ammo is determined by bullet weight and burn rate of the powder used, NOT by muzzle velocity.

Trying to figure out by rated velocity whether or not a load is M1 safe is not possible. It is quite easy to create two different loads, both using the same bullet, but with two different powders and have the one with the LOWER velocity have a HIGHER gas port pressure.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever
Old December 5, 2007, 08:31 AM   #11
PWK

Thanks for all the responses. I'll contact Remington to see what they say.
I ordered 1000 rounds of lake city a while back from JG in Arizona and that is all I've been shooting.

The Garand is a really fun gun to shoot. Maybe since the gun is sooo heavy and shoots a big bullet with little felt recoil people like to shoot it. I took it to my brother's ranch over thanksgiving and many wanted to shoot it. I finally had to take the gun away from my younger sister.

Ditto the Garand's forever!
Old December 5, 2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
The pressure curve of M1 gas system safe ammo is determined by bullet weight and burn rate of the powder used, NOT by muzzle velocity.

Trying to figure out by rated velocity whether or not a load is M1 safe is not possible. It is quite easy to create two different loads, both using the same bullet, but with two different powders and have the one with the LOWER velocity have a HIGHER gas port pressure.
Yes and no. Lot acceptance of Garand powder had a velocity criteria, a breech pressure criteria, peening, and a gas port pressure criteria. I have the lot acceptance sheets for two different lots of WC 852. At the powder vendor they measured pressure in a pressure barrel, and velocity. There is the notation that a couple of Garands functioned with the ammunition, and there is the comment that no peening was observed.

Velocity was controlled. I can guess because they had all these rifles with permanent marking on the elevation knob, maybe there were other reasons. But ammunition was kept within velocity tolerances. They also “corrected” the contractor pressure barrel reading to the Frankford Arsenal pressure barrel. They fired a round that met the 2740 fps/pressure criteria in the Frankford Arsenal pressure barrel, and took the reading in the contractor pressure barrel. And used the differences as a “correction”.

What I saw was that the Frankford barrel was a fast barrel, and velocities in the contractor barrel were closer to 2650 than 2740.

The first year the CMP contracted Federal Ammunition to use in the Garand Matches, the ammunition was too hot. Now it may have been made to SAAMI specs, but the stuff chronographed close to 2900 fps and it caused malfunctions. My shooter had his gun jam up because the port pressure was too high. This happened to a lot of people. It took about two years for the CMP to change the spec, but now CMP ammunition shoots around 2700 fps.

So I will say the first statement is mostly correct, particularly when you get to the safety aspect.

As for velocities, without pressure gages and port pressure gages, how can we determine if the ammunition is right for a Garand?

Velocities are the easiest way to determine if you are loading correctly for a Garand. That is use powders that give appropriate port pressures (4895, H4895, 2495, AA2520, etc) and load them up to the velocity you get when you fire LC in your rifle. Which will be between 2650 – 2700 fps with a 150 grain bullet.

Your Garand was designed to use ammunition made in 1936. It was not hot ammunition, even by the period, and it is certainly not hot today. Many lots of ammunition were in the 40,000 psi range.

When you use modern ammunition at high port pressures you will have malfunctions. The rifle will be opening and closing too quickly. You may have all sorts of strange clip jumping, bolt overrides, failure to feed, failure to extract, who knows. And it will beat up the rifle as things are slamming and banging too much.

I reload for my Garands, a nice reload that I have used is 150 gr SMK, 47.0 grs IMR 4895 LC cases CCI #34. The same load with a 168 SMK will function just fine in a Garand.
Old December 5, 2007, 02:33 PM   #13
MTMilitiaman

Wow. Great info Slamfire.
Old December 5, 2007, 02:42 PM   #14
fspic

A lot of these questions can be answered on a Google search. Chuck Hawkes has very detailed writings on all things pertaining to ammo, ballistics, AI variants, bullet drops, etc.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:24 PM   #15
Swampy1

Quote:
As for velocities, without pressure gages and port pressure gages, how can we determine if the ammunition is right for a Garand?

Velocities are the easiest way to determine if you are loading correctly for a Garand. That is use powders that give appropriate port pressures (4895, H4895, 2495, AA2520, etc) and load them up to the velocity you get when you fire LC in your rifle. Which will be between 2650 – 2700 fps with a 150 grain bullet.
This is correct... but does not address the original issue that with many commercial loads the powder type is UNKNOWN and in many cases may be outside the parameters of safe burning rate for the M1. In cases of ammo using powders with unknown burn rate the velocity can be within the same range as M2 spec, but still have a port pressure that is OUTSIDE the safe range.

Swampy

Garands forever
Old December 5, 2007, 04:07 PM   #16
Slamfire

Quote:
This is correct... but does not address the original issue that with many commercial loads the powder type is UNKNOWN and in many cases may be outside the parameters of safe burning rate for the M1. In cases of ammo using powders with unknown burn rate the velocity can be within the same range as M2 spec, but still have a port pressure that is OUTSIDE the safe range.
Swampy, you are so right. Unless the ammunition is US GI, it was not produced to be compatible with the Garand. Commerical manufacturers simply claim their ammunition is within "SAAMI" specs. A furniture truck could drive through "SAAMI" specs and be within tolerances. No makes ammunition taking Garand limitations in consideration. Except handloaders.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:20 PM   #17
azredhawk44

Quote:
No makes ammunition taking Garand limitations in consideration. Except handloaders.
Were somebody to come along and "compel" me to become a betting man, I would guess that the Federal American Eagle .30-06 150gr FMJ sold in red boxes at Sportsman's Warehouse and other retailers is Garand compatible.

If I owned a Garand I would still call Federal to find out, but their 150gr .308 FMJ-BT is marketed to the FAL/M1A crowd and runs perfectly in my M1A.

JMHO, FYI, YMMV, TGIF, WTFBBQLOL.
Old December 6, 2007, 07:00 AM   #18
Swampy1

Quote:
Were somebody to come along and "compel" me to become a betting man, I would guess that the Federal American Eagle .30-06 150gr FMJ sold in red boxes at Sportsman's Warehouse and other retailers is Garand compatible.
YOu would probably lose that bet....

The Am-Eagle load previously mentioned... that the CMP used that first year of the JCG was the standard Fed Am-Eagle. It was way too hot for the M1. The next year Federal did a "Special Run" of ammo just for the CMP to use which was much less stressful on the op-rods.

Best regards,
Swampy

garands forever
Old December 6, 2007, 08:15 AM   #19
shooter_john

rgitzlaff...

I just got my first Garand. Would anyone care to share some of these M1 handloading recipes? Thanks in advance!
Old December 6, 2007, 08:47 AM   #20
Swampy1

Quote:
I just got my first Garand. Would anyone care to share some of these M1 handloading recipes? Thanks in advance!
Back in the 50's, when the M1 rifle was first being made available for civvy Highpower shooters to compete with, the techies at Springfield Armory (The REAL one) handed down the following "M1 gas system safe load rules" for the NRA and CMP to pass on to civilian shooters.

1) NEVER shoot bullets HEAVIER than 180 grains
2) NEVER shoot powder that is SLOWER than IMR-4320

As long as you stick with BOTH these rules your ammo will be safe for the M1's gas system.

Any variety of 4895 powder and a 147-152 grain bullet will dupe the standard M2 round. The perennial Highpower target load for the M1 over the last 40-50 years has been a 168-175 grain Match bullet over IMR-4064 powder.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever
Old December 6, 2007, 09:26 AM   #21
rgitzlaff

Yup, listen to Swampy, he knows more about this than I do. You can also use Varget for a powder. Use the right powder and bullet weight and work your load from there, using charges and OAL from your loading manual.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:06 AM   #22
shooter_john

Thanks!

Looks like the rules are easy enough to follow.
Old December 11, 2007, 07:52 AM   #23
PWK

Here is the reply from a note I emailed to Remington.

"Theoretically, the powder we use in our 30-06 loads is too slow for the Garand. The theory being that slow powders create high pressure at the gas port in the rifle. This could lead to operating rod damage. We don't know of any instances of this with our ammunition but use your own judgment. Thanks!"

I suppose since most ammo manufacturers load 30-06 for bolt action rifles pretty much all such ammo would be unacceptable for the Garand.
Old December 12, 2007, 01:27 AM   #24
radom

I dont think I would say that new 30-06 is loaded just for bolt guns but more like new ammunition is not loaded for a 1936 type self loader that needed specialy designed ammunition to work right.
Old December 12, 2007, 09:07 AM   #25
Swampy1

Quote:
for a 1936 type self loader that needed specialy designed ammunition to work right.
The ammo was NOT designed for the M1 rifle.... The US cal 30 cartridge existed long before the rifle. The rifle was designed around the pressure curve of the existing stocks of cal 30 ammo.

Remember..... the M1 rifle is NOT chambered for the "30-06 Springfield" cartridge. This designation is a commercial name, not one given by the US military.

The US military cartridge that the M1 rifle fires is the "US caliber 30" cartridge (Says so right there on the heel of the receiver.) and has it's own specifications as to bullet weight, powder type, pressure curves, etc.... The commercial "30-06" cartridge specs are determined by SAAMI and give no consideration to the needs of US military weapons, then or now.

Conversely, there was no need by USGI equipment designers to consider the possibility of commercial ammo ever being used in their rifles. These were US military combat arms and the only ammo that could-would ever be used in those weapons in their primary usage (Military-combat) would be the ammo supplied by the military.

Swampy

Garands forever