The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 24, 2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Kyonic
Registration in progress

Colt Defender or Glock 36

I have narrowed my personal protection weapon down to the glock 36 or Colt Defender .45. I was just hoping you all could help me with the descision between the two.
Old November 24, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Hmm...cheap plastic ugliness with no resale value (but it always works) vis a vis a classic looking classic pistol that holds its value but may be finicky....

WildiownthecoltAlaska ™
Old November 24, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
IZinterrogator

That may be the funniest set of choices I have ever read. Most gun owners would be diagnosed with schizophrenia if they had it narrowed down to those two. I take it you have shot neither, you would have chosen one way or the other at the range. You may want to go rent them and try them out.

IZIpackaColttoobuttheGunsiteCCOinsteadinterrogator
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old November 24, 2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

I think in a decision like this one that it all comes down to your own personal style.

You are going to probably get a very nice weapon either way so go with the one that suites your asthetic tastes best. Which one makes you light up most when you hold onto it?

With me that would be the Colt.
Old November 24, 2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Silentarmy

I tried for a week to deal with the safety, slide serrations, etc of my 1911 digging me in the kidney before I went back to carrying my 36. The Glock will not make one leg of your pants drag on the ground either. My guns are not purchased based on resale (safe queens) or Classic lines (if for Concealed carry) I have carried my G36 for about 2 yrs now and the 1911 lives in the safe till range trips. I would rather shoot the 1911 but I carry what always works. The BG will not usually stop his actions and say "that is one fancy colt you have there" Have a nice day!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old November 24, 2007, 07:02 PM   #6
38splfan

PBP

PBP, that was well said.
Too many people try to posture it off sometimes, or try to play down the style issue, but looks do matter to most of us.

Everyone has a style, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. As long as the pistol you choose is functional, and both of your choices are, it can look any way you'd like.

Keep in mind it is a tool, but it's also something you'll carry and wear everyday. Like cars, pick one you want or you won't like using it.
Old November 24, 2007, 07:06 PM   #7
angeldeville

I have no biases or brand loyalty.....

But try them both if possible and go with what works for you.

Old November 24, 2007, 09:22 PM   #8
pogo2

Defender vs. Glock in specs...

I own a Defender and two Glocks (but not the G36 model). If you look up the specs on the two guns you will find:

1. The Glock weighs about 3 ounces less (Defender 25 ounces, G36 23 ounces)

2. The Glock 36 has a longer barrel (3.75 inches) than the Defender (3.0 inches).

3. The Defender is slimmer in the slide (0.90 inches) and grips (1.05 inches with thin panels) to the G36's 1.0 inch slide and 1.15 inch grips.

4. The Defender has a short, crisp 4.5 pound trigger to the Glock's long, 5.5 pound trigger.

5. The Defender requires you to train with the thumb safety if you are going to carry it. The Glock is point and shoot with no safety to manually release.

6. The Defender has 7+1 rounds with Wilson Magazines, and the G36 carries 6+1 rounds.

I personally prefer the Defender because I like its good trigger, thin profile and better looks than the G36.

Old November 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
dajowi

I owned a Glock 36. Get the Defender.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:47 PM   #10
HuntAndFish

If this is for CCW, get the Glock. It's lighter, it's cheaper, and it's probably more reliable.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; November 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old November 25, 2007, 03:43 PM   #11
auberg

I have to admit, I've only owned 1 Glock and it was a long time ago. But, I do own a Defender. I bought the Defender used, so I don't know how many round have been through it. I did begin to have extraction problems after I had for a while. I replaced the factory extractor with a Wilson Combat, and I have had no problems with it since. It eats all of the ammo I feed it. Mostly that's Winchester White box, and once in a while, Federal Hydrashocks.

Just my 2 cents
Old November 25, 2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Zombie Steve

I don't want to be the Ford vs Chevy sloganeering guy, but there is a saying...

"Show your 1911s to your friends, show your Glocks to your enemies".

I carry a G30 and it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot for a "sub compact". Absolutely reliable.

Having said all that, I can tell you that of all the Glock models, the 36 is Gaston's problem child, hands down. There have been problems with that model and reliability. Maybe they are up to snuff now...

The same reliability issues could be brought up for short barrel 1911's.

Clear as mud? Sorry if I'm no help. It seems superficial, but I hate Colt's politics / stance on private gun ownership... get the Glock (never thought I'd say that over a 1911). If there's problems, the folks in Smyrna, GA are very accomodating. Good luck and happy shooting.
Old November 25, 2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Austin HiPowers

Simple: like mentioned before. Rent and shoot them both. Go with the one YOU like. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old November 25, 2007, 09:39 PM   #14
onesiphorus

Ownwed both. Get a Glock 30. 10 rounds, great reliability, concealable and tactically accurate (Makes a big ragged hole in the center at 10 Yards)
Old November 25, 2007, 11:39 PM   #15
ranburr

It really boils down to are you a 1911 or a Glock guy? If you are used to carrying a larger version of one or the other, the choice should be obvious. The Defender is generally considered to be the most reliable of all the 3" 1911s. The G36 is the only Glock that has somewhat of a reputation for reliability issues. Personally, I have a Defender.
Old November 26, 2007, 01:22 AM   #16
longeyes

Other posters have covered the basic pros and cons. One more thing to consider for a carry pistol is ease of break-down and maintenance. You are much more likely, in my opinion, to keep your Glock 36 combat-ready because you can take it down and clean and lube it in five minutes.

I've put about three thousand rounds downrange from my G36 and it has been as reliable and trouble-free as my other Glocks.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old November 26, 2007, 01:34 AM   #17
Socrates

Well, you've picked two guns that suffer from the same disease: as you get smaller, your gun design may not shrink and keep it's reliability.

Both of your choices are taking fantastic designs, making them become so small, they become questionable in reliability, and, therefore not suited for the task they are intended for.

I look at these, ask guys that have gunsmithed for Colt for ten years, and now 'retire' as the top gunsmiths in the world.

One's advice:
"G...., you keep their heads down with that lil gun, and I'll sneak around and shoot them with a REAL gun!"

John Linebaugh refering to the 45ACP vs. the 45 Long Colts he was building.

Another said Commander is as small as you should go in a 1911 design, so that leaves the CCO, or commander.

The G36 is Glocks problem child, but, the G30, and 29, are not, nor are the 26 or 27. See what you can conceal, find, and what you would like in a police evidence locker for a year or two with no mat, and make a decision.

So, to answer your question: not either one, but, in a pinch, the Glock first, Defender second.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:53 AM   #18
IMTHDUKE

Defender.....all the way. Have had one since they came out and it's been a real defender with zero problemos.
Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig 1911 C3, P238, P938, P239, P232 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Walter | PPK(German made 1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P
Old November 26, 2007, 11:26 AM   #19
Hard Ball

Pbp +1
Old November 26, 2007, 11:28 AM   #20
Hard Ball

And yes, I would certainly get the Defende
Old November 26, 2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Ledbetter

I own a Defender and a Glock 30. (Not a 36, which I cannot recommend.)

I would feel as safe as can be with either one. Choose the one that's most comfortable for you.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old August 18, 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
Dust Dude

I have both of these.

The Glock 36 carried IWB is very comfy. It is fun, accurate and reliable to shoot. I don't have a IWB holster yet for my Colt Defender so I carry it outside. It may be strange but I always carry automatics that do not have a safety lever, so I am not used to and feel akward carrying my Colt cocked and locked. Makes no sense, I know. Shooting the Colt is one of life's pleasures. Wow-love it!!! I have a few other Colts and you can never go wrong having one. They have had over a hundred years perfecting the 1911 and this 3"bbl is pure quality and few people have one.
So in short I say either is great, but for me I wanted both.
Old August 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #23
loose_holster_dan

i assume you are carrying concealed? the colt will conceal much better. i just carried my defender last night.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 18, 2012, 01:55 PM   #24
CDW4ME

Zombie thread

I doubt the OP is still debating the two nearly five years later.
Old August 18, 2012, 03:44 PM   #25
Dust Dude

Sorry guy...first post first time and if I stepped on your cheerios then this is the last time.