The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
filoman

Savage model 1917 in .380

I have a Savage model 1917 in .380 But it is without a Magazine.
Can anyone recommend a good place that may have one ?
Thanks
Old November 23, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Tom2

Originals? no. but probably someone like Numrich can sell a repro magazine. Probably just as well, as if you go to shoot it, you want a decent mag with a strong spring in it. I had a Savage once, and the mag spring was so weak that it would hardly feed the cartridges at all. Originals are probably around, but you will pay quite a bit more for them and condition may not be so good.
Old November 27, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
filoman

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Sorry it took so long to respond, work,work,work.
Old November 27, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Tom2

Well there are little classifieds in the gun parts sections of SGN and what used to be called Gun Lists. People selling mags for old guns. Bet an original would be expensive nowadays, and you run the risk of getting a rusty junker mag. So if it will function with an aftermarket repro mag, it should cost you maybe something like 15-25$ for one. Honestly I cannot understand folks selling pistols without even one magazine. What did they use it for in that condition? I would have tried to get a working mag myself if it was in my collection. Same with folks selling "like new" guns, but they lost or threw away the original box, extra mags, papers etc. Dumb. Or hot?