The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2007, 04:10 PM   #1
JWT

Colt Defender

Looked at a Colt Defender today and really liked the gun.

I'd like comments regarding the reliability, ease (or difficulty) of dis-assembly and reassembly, and recoil on the Defender. Any other comments on the gun.
Old November 17, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2
ranburr

The most reliable and easiest to disasssemble of the 3" guns.
Old November 17, 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
The Tourist

JWT, I would like to hear your evaluations of this pistol over time.

As you know, I am in the market for just such a pistol, and as I stated in another thread, it appears my improper use may have shortened its life.

Keep us informed.
Old November 17, 2007, 07:40 PM   #4
pogo2

Good gun

I've had a Colt Defender for over a year, buying it slightly used from the original owner. The gun has been very reliable for me, going through about 600 rounds so far without missing a beat. The disassembly is quite similar to other 1911s, although there is no barrel bushing. The key to disassembly is lining up the slide stop with the small cutout in the slide, and pulling it out.

The recoil is roughly what you would expect for a 25 ounce 1911 gun. It recoils more than a full size, 38 ounce steel 1911, and about the same as a Glock 23. The strong points of the gun are that it conceals very easily, has a great trigger, holds 7+1 rounds of a significant caliber, and is quite accurate. Here is mine, which I have modified somewhat from the original format:

Old November 17, 2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Glock-19

How much would it cost to buy one of those?
Old November 17, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6
HisSoldier

One really nice looking handgun!
Old November 17, 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo2
Here is mine, which I have modified somewhat from the original format
Yup, that's the pistol I dream about...
Old November 17, 2007, 10:42 PM   #8
michael t

I have my Defender for a while now and I love it . I also have a Old Detonics but the Defender weights way less and feels better in my hand. It has fed anything I tried but I carry 185 CorbonDPX +P It and other compacts Ive owned seem to work better with a 185.
Thursday I laid away a new Colt Agent another compact by Colt thats getting good reviews by mags and those that have bought them.
Before some one say something about the Agent lack of sights. In store I was picking up the trench sight faster than my 3 dot sight on Defender .
It appears Colt has 2 compact 3" lite weight CC pistols
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old November 18, 2007, 08:35 AM   #9
pogo2

Answer to question...

Glock 19 asked:
Quote:
How much would it cost to buy one of those?
If you started with a new Defender, the gun would cost about $800. Then the modifications on mine include:

- Wilson drop in beavertail - $30
- Wilson slide stop - $50
- Wilson checkered steel mainspring housing - $40
- Alumagrips slim grip panels - $50
- McCormick aluminum trigger - $17
- Dehorn slide (gunsmith) - $50
- Wilson 7 round magazine - $25

So I think you would be at about $1,062 to duplicate the gun shown. You could reduce this by starting with a used Defender, which might cut $100 or so from the cost.

I have considered two other modifications to the gun, but haven't decided to do them yet. One is to replace the standard Colt sights with something like Novak sights, which would cost another $100 or so. But the standard sights work very well, so I'm not highly motivated.

The other thing would be to have the aluminum frame re-anodized in black to replace the original gray color. I think this would look good with the black anodized Alumagrip grip panels. But that would cost another $100 or so, I figure.
Old November 18, 2007, 11:31 AM   #10
HisSoldier

I went looking for one in Gunbroker, several ads said "stainless slide and frame" but websites about it said only aluminum frames. It really bothers me that so many people who sell guns don't know what they are selling! Either that or the websites are old and Colt eventually came up with an all stainless Defender. I'd like a stainless one, that lightweight version sounds like a wildcat in the hands.
Old November 18, 2007, 11:46 AM   #11
angeldeville

The defenders are all aluminum frames. If you poke around you can find a stainless OM Colt series 80, (like the one I'm picking up Tuesday) but they are no longer in production.
Old November 19, 2007, 11:17 AM   #12
pogo2

All steel 1911s with short barrels

HisSoldier said:
Quote:
I went looking for one in Gunbroker, several ads said "stainless slide and frame" but websites about it said only aluminum frames. It really bothers me that so many people who sell guns don't know what they are selling! Either that or the websites are old and Colt eventually came up with an all stainless Defender. I'd like a stainless one, that lightweight version sounds like a wildcat in the hands.
Most 3 inch 1911s have aluminum frames and weigh about 25 ounces. However, the Kimber Eclipse Ultra model is a 3 inch with steel frame, and weighs 34 ounces according to the Kimber website.

Kimber Eclipse Ultra web page

Additionally, you can buy the Wilson Combat Sentinel model, which is all steel, has a 3.6 inch barrel and an Officer's size frame. It is considerably more expensive than the Kimber above:

Wilson Sentinel webpage

Old November 19, 2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Yellowfin

Has the Defender size totally replaced the Officers model, or are there some in that configuration to be had these days as well?
Old November 19, 2007, 05:06 PM   #14
sholling

Quote:
Has the Defender size totally replaced the Officers model, or are there some in that configuration to be had these days as well?
I think that the 3-1/2" Officers is just a fond memory. I love my totally reliable 25oz 3" Kimber Ultra Carry but would go with a 3-1/2 or 4" barreled pistol based on the light weight officers sized frame if I had to do it over again. The extra inch of barrel length makes a big difference in the ballistics.
Old November 19, 2007, 06:01 PM   #15
IMTHDUKE

Have Defender and a Kimber Covert Ultra II

I have had my Defender lite for about 3 years...it's never seen a round it didn't like. It shoots the bakeing power out of a biscuit. I pust LG on mine.

I would not part with mine, however got the itch for another small 1911 and got the Kimber Covert Ultra II w/LG. Ony been to range once with it and its a keeper also.

If I had to choose between these two...guess it would be the Colt.
Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig 1911 C3, P238, P938, P239, P232 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Walter | PPK(German made 1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P
Old November 19, 2007, 06:24 PM   #16
Yellowfin

Forgiving my ignorance, but wasn't Colt completely out of the civilian pistol market sometime ago? When did they get back in? Or are these leftovers? I'm a bit confused.
Old November 19, 2007, 08:28 PM   #17
pogo2

Colt lives on...

Yellowfin asked:
Quote:
Forgiving my ignorance, but wasn't Colt completely out of the civilian pistol market sometime ago? When did they get back in? Or are these leftovers? I'm a bit confused.
Here is a link to the Colt Manufacturing website page showing all the 1911s they now sell:

Colt pistol product line

The story that they were out of the market was just a rumor put out by Kimber.
Old November 19, 2007, 09:47 PM   #18
ranburr

Quote:
They never got out of the civilian market.

ranburr
Old November 21, 2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Austin HiPowers

That Defender looks very easy concealable yet powerfull enough for SD. yes, I am considering buying one
Old November 21, 2007, 09:35 PM   #20
michael t

And the new Agent is even a little more concealable I hope to pick mine up from layaway end of month. Then it will join my carry family.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com