The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1
thetoecutter

reloading .223 for an ARclone questions

Bought 1000 once-fired Federal cases from Wideners. About 50/50 crimped/non-crimped.

De-capped them all and tumbled, now am sizing & trimming.

Bought an LE Wilson trimmer set-up w/ small primer pocket reamer.

Needed some cases to work up some loads, primed 20 each crimped(reamed) and non-crimped.

The non-crimped cases seem to have relatively "loose" primer pockets. Some are obviously "too loose". Those feel like some of my old .44mag brass that has been rode hard and put away wet one too many times.

The reamed cases feel more like I am used to.

I guess my question is, are these cases (kinda loose pockets) going to cause problems in an ARclone?

I've been reloading for 15+ years, but this is my first ever experience with full-length sizing for a semi-auto rifle. Have done thousands (and thousands) of 9mm, .45ACP, 38spl, and .44mag. Have done a bunch of rifle rounds in varying calibers, but those have all been neck-sized for bolt guns in a LOT smaller batches.

Would like to get as many rounds as possible done to give to my 1st year ROTC son for Christmas (I'm getting the rifle).

Really don't want to spend the time loading 3-400 cases and then have a problem, so any shared experiences would be appreciated...

TTC
Old November 15, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2
amamnn

Probably. The bolt closing of an AR or any other military rifle or clone is a fairly violent event. Primers that are not firmly seated at .003" (ideally) below the surface of the brass itself are the leading cause of premature detonation (AKA slam firing) of the round before the bolt is fully closed. This is an experience devoutly to be avoided.

For some excellent information about loading for ARs and other military or clone rifles, see the exterior ballistics section of Sierra's website, or better yet, buy their manual; it will be money well spent.
Old November 16, 2007, 08:59 PM   #3
fourrobert13

Federal brass is at the bottom of my list to reload with. The only brass below it is Adcom brass. I have always been hit and miss with the Federal brass, but mostly miss. Primer pockets loosen quickly, and if it's "good" Federal brass, in my expirence, you get maybe 2 loadings with it. This is just my expirence with Federal brass, others may have better or worse comments.

Get yourself some LC, Winchester, WCC, PMC, Rorg, RP, or if you buy new, there are plenty of excellent choices.
Old November 21, 2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Thesenator

Cut your losses immediately. Get rid of the Federal brass and get another brand. Send it back to Wideners and get a credit for some bullets or something.

As posted above, Federal brass is very prone to loose primer pockets and from experience, when the primer blows out in an AR, it is likely going to bind up your rifle and put it out of commission or its going to lodge under the trigger and cause you to have to open up the gun and remove it with a piece of wire or a pick of some sort.

I sort out all Federal brass from any that I buy or pick up and put it aside for potential use in a bolt gun only, it doesn't get reloaded for my ARs anymore. I try to buy all Lake City if possible but RORG, Malaysian, Winchester, WCC, PMP, PMC, S&B, and Remington are all good candidates for reloading
Old November 22, 2007, 12:44 PM   #5
lastchancebaby

hi, does this apply to Federal loaded ammm?

Sorry to somewhat hi-jack thread; however, this info might help all AR owners. Does Federal factory loaded ammo have an issue with primers etc? Should AR owners avoid Federal ammo?
thanks
Old November 22, 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Thesenator

Does not apply to new ammo, only fired brass.
Old November 23, 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
fourrobert13

Quote:
Sorry to somewhat hi-jack thread; however, this info might help all AR owners. Does Federal factory loaded ammo have an issue with primers etc? Should AR owners avoid Federal ammo?
thanks

I had a bad lot of Federal Power Shok. Every round I fired blew the primer out in my Stag 15. Called up Federal and they replaced the the ammo, and I sent back the bad stuff.