The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
bestbod85

saiga ak-47

Hi all, I just bought my first battle rifle, the saiga ak-47 7.62x39 with the synthetic hunting stock, looks like a nice, decent rifle for the price and i cant wait to take it to the range to see how accurate i can be with it . anyway, it came with the hunting stock but i would like to upgrade it to a pistol grip shoulder stock like they traditionally have, does anyone know where i could find one to fit the saiga's?
Old November 12, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Putting a traditional pistol grip stock on your Saiga would put you in violation of section 922r (Federal Law) unless you do a complete conversion by replacing the appropriate number of specific parts with us made parts. Also, a traditional pistol grip woud require significant modification to the gun as the entire trigger group and trigger guard must be moved forward on the reciever in order to accomodate it. The conversions aren't supposed to be all that hard to do, but they just don't look like they're worth the trouble to me. Here's a couple of links concerning 922r and Saiga Conversions

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40375

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

Now, what you can do without a full conversion is put one of the Dragunov style stocks that are coming on some of the newer Saigas on yours. It is not banned under 922r because 925d(3) specifically states a "separate pistol grip. With the Dragunov stock the stock and pistol grip are all one piece so you're OK. Here's a couple of links on this stock

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_option.htm

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Stocks/S...6bbbcc47368ab8
Old November 12, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
chris in va

...and that about sums it up!

I have the same rifle and might be putting this on it soon...

They're supposed to come out with some rear mounted peep sights eventually, which will be a HUGE improvement over the stock irons.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:40 PM   #4
kymasabe

Mine came out nice with the stock pictured in the above post.
[/IMG]
Old November 12, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
RockyMtnTactical

The Saiga's are a great value.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
bestbod85

thanks for the advice guys, i think ill be going with the dragonov stock instead, beside i kind of like the way it looks. thanks again
Old November 13, 2007, 05:14 PM   #7
chris in va

Kymasabe, do you find that stock is more ergonomic/easier to use than the 'sporter' version that comes with it?

BTW I found bump firing my Saiga is pretty darn easy.
Old November 13, 2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Crosshair

Where does one find a stock like that for sale?
Old November 13, 2007, 06:49 PM   #9
kymasabe

Yes, the stock makes the gun alot more comfortable to hold and shoot. The pad on the top rotates out of the way. With the pad up, a cheek on the pad lines you right up with the scope. With the pad down, it gives a perfect view down the sights.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:24 PM   #10
SharpShooter06

Do the saiga 7.62x39 rifles accept standard AK-47 magazines?
Old November 14, 2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Legumeofterror

^you have to modify the rifle to use regular mags, but i hear its fairly simple.

on a side note, what magazines does a saiga in .308 use?
Old November 14, 2007, 10:42 PM   #12
SharpShooter06

Yeah, I just did a little research on it. I like www.tromix.com work but it says they will not accept any new orders until 2009

Im thinking of maybe getting one and putting that dragunov style stock on it and a nice scope. Would be a nice little hunting rifle. If I'm right you can get saiga made 10rd mags cant you?
Old November 15, 2007, 01:38 AM   #13
Webleymkv

The Saiga rifles do not accept standard AK magazines because they were designed not to. The Saiga has no bullet guide in the reciever as a regular AK does, instead it is built into the magazine. Because of this, regular AK mags won't feed reliably (if at all) in a Saiga. K-Var has bullet guides for $14 that can be installed to make the Saiga take AK mags or Surefire makes 30rd mags for the 7.62x39 and .223 Saigas that are available through Gilbert's (they also have 10rd mags for Saiga 12 Shotguns if anyone's interested). Also FBMG makes 20rd mags for the Saiga .308 although I believe they're currently on backorder.
Old November 15, 2007, 02:18 AM   #14
Crosshair

You can also make a feed ramp out of a piece of pipe like I did. Took a while, but I got it to work.
Old November 15, 2007, 03:43 AM   #15
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
on a side note, what magazines does a saiga in .308 use?
.308 Saiga mags. Duh...

8 rounds I think.

FBMG is making some cool 20 rounders, they are pricey though.
Old November 15, 2007, 08:27 AM   #16
bestbod85

Kymasabe, what kind of scope mount and scope is that, nice setup you've got there
Old November 15, 2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Manedwolf

I did this to mine, with the stock kit from ACE.

The end result is a surprisingly slender and lightweight AK.
Old November 17, 2007, 12:29 PM   #18
MD_Willington

Surefire makes full cap polymer magazines that pop right in now, however I would not use them until you take care of all the other 922 compliance parts...

BTW the new polymer mags count as 3 US parts!

gilbertsguns or RSR has them in stock now
Old November 17, 2007, 03:53 PM   #19
AutoPistola

I'd like to do the Tapco AK trigger group conversion on a .308 model. The only one I've found is priced at $420; if I can talk him down some, is that a fair price considering the scarcity of the .308 models? A russian-built .308 AK sounds badd-@ss!!

Anybody know if saigas accept AK style foregrips?
Old November 17, 2007, 05:09 PM   #20
Bosshoff

I would bet that Kymsabe's rifle is no longer legal. I have the same one, and wanted to do the same thing. Use AK mags in a Saiga, and heep the cool stock. Problem is the rearward trigger is not compatible with US made replacement triggers. (The trigger assembly is three pieces) Question-So how can you manage your parts count without moving the trigger to the standard forward location? Answer-You can't.
The easy parts to change are the triggers, stock, forend, and gas piston. In order to stay legal, you need to get the foreign parts count down by adding US parts, to use foreign AK mags.

The parts I used to convert my Saiga were a FSE (First sons Enterprises) tigger assembly, a Red Star Arms gas piston, and a Krebs bullet guide. It was also a lot of fun.
Old November 17, 2007, 05:17 PM   #21
skinnygun

Tromix conversion Saiga 7,62x39 w/high cap AK mags added wood handguard.
[/IMG]
Old November 17, 2007, 05:43 PM   #22
Webleymkv

Quote:
I would bet that Kymsabe's rifle is no longer legal. I have the same one, and wanted to do the same thing. Use AK mags in a Saiga, and heep the cool stock. Problem is the rearward trigger is not compatible with US made replacement triggers. (The trigger assembly is three pieces) Question-So how can you manage your parts count without moving the trigger to the standard forward location? Answer-You can't.
The easy parts to change are the triggers, stock, forend, and gas piston. In order to stay legal, you need to get the foreign parts count down by adding US parts, to use foreign AK mags.
Why wouldn't his rifle be legal? Section 922r states the following

Quote:
No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes
As far as I can see, the compensator is the only iffy part (illegal if you call it a flash hider but not if you call it a compensator) Section 925d(3) states the following

Quote:
In 1989, ATF identified a type of rifle known as a semiautomatic assault rifle and found that weapons of this type were not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes under the sporting purpose test for importation in 18 U.S.C. 925(d). Accordingly, on July 6, 1989, ATF determined that rifles of this type were not importable into the United States. ATF's findings was based, in part, on the determination that these rifles have certain charcteristics that are common to modern military assault rifles and that distinguish them from traditional sporting rifles.These characteristics include the ability to accept a detachable magazine, folding/telescopic stocks, seperate pistol grips, ability to accept a bayonet, flash suppressors, bipods, grenade launchers, night sights. It was decided that any of these military features, other than a detachable magazine, would make a semiautomatic assault rifle not importable.
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40375
Old November 17, 2007, 05:56 PM   #23
AK103K

kymasabe,

Do you get a nose bleed with the scope up that high?

I have a early Krebs Saiga conversion. Mine is th AK103K which has a 14" barrel with a welded brake.

Zeitgeist - The Movie