The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 2007, 02:48 PM   #1
chris112

Color of copper fouling

When you are using a copper fouling solvent, is the copper alway green or is it sometimes blue. I've heard both ways. I've also heard that if blue it is desolved bronze (cleaning brush or cleaning jag) not copper (bullet jacket material). Please say what type of solvent you are using with which ever color you are getting (might make a difference).
Old November 10, 2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You'll see both bluish and greenish colors on the patch without regard to the brand of bore solvent.
This is probably more due to the composition of the bullet jacket, and probably the bore brush.

What's important is that you're seeing colors, as this means your bore solvent is working.

Just keep running wet patches through the bore, and giving the solvent time to work. Unless the label says otherwise, I give the solvent at least 30 to 60 minutes to work each time.
Old November 10, 2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

Color

I clean a lot of range rentals with a foaming bore cleaner. They almost never get a bore brush and get shot with copper FMJ ammo all day long. The residue that leaches out is blue. I use this:

http://www.gunslick.com/Press_Releas...d=17&year=2004