The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 7, 2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Big Caliber

target vs. tactical scopes, & AO's?

I'm looking to put a mil-dot scope on a Savage 308, maybe a Bushnell 6-24x40 or a Nikon 4-16x42. The targets will be bowling pins at 600 yds. & paper at 1000yds. Do I really need a tactical scope or would i be better off w/ a target scope? Also, what is the advantage to having an adjustable objective lens over a "regular" objective? All input is welcome.
Old November 7, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Mute

The advantages of a mildot is for range estimation and, imho maybe even more important, holdovers. If you're shooting at known distance targets, you'll probably do ok with target reticles.

In my eyes, the primary reason for a tactical scope is for the durability and repeatablity of the settings in rough environments. If you mainly shoot on a range, that extra bulk and weight might be unnecessary.
Old November 7, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Martyn4802

For fixed distance shooting, I think a scope with an adjustable objective is the route to go. You can adjust the focus so the target is perfectly clear with no parallax. If it were my rig, I would shoot a straight target scope as I don't think the tactical scope adds a thing, given the fixed shooting distances.

Martyn
Old November 9, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
wogpotter

An AO scope, properly set for distance (NOT using the engraved numbers) will be more accurate.

Parallax will make the reticule seem to move in relation to the target, and will move the POI the same amount in the opposite direction. The effect gets worse as magnification increases, this is why there are no low power AO scopes.

The engraved numbers are approximate. You should actuall set up the distance of YOUR scope by re callibrating at several known distances for the best effect.
Old November 9, 2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Jimro

The Bushnell doesn't have the adjustment to get you out to 1k, I don't know about the Nikon.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old November 9, 2007, 08:30 PM   #6
joshua

You have to use special bases is you want your rifle and scope combo to adjust up to 1k yards. Consider getting a 30mm tube scope it has a more adjustment/clicks. I have a 6x24 Pentax 30mm Lightseeker with mil-dot AO. I concur that the range marks for the AO are approximate only. I can't wait to practice with my PSS/Pentax for tactical matches. I still haven't grasp the concept of the mil dots at other magnification level. That's another subject you need to look at. If you are going to shoot your rig out to 1k with the mil dots are calibrated for one power setting. I can't wait to get a Night Force or US Optics. josh
Old November 10, 2007, 03:38 PM   #7
RonJ

If you're referring to the Bushnell BANNER 6x24 don't waste your money. It's very hazy at max power and click adjustments are nowhere near repeatable. The 3200/4200 scopes are a quantum leap ahead in quality.
I have a 6x24 Banner that I'll sell cheap!