The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2007, 03:49 AM   #1
eb1ch

a small problem with my new Glock 19 – magazine catch (I think)

I posted this is the autoloader pistol forum as well..

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

The other day I bought a Glock 19, picked it up at my range and ran about 75 rounds through it. This is the first Glock I’ve owned, and I absolutely love it.

Everything was fine until today. I was messing with it- inserting and removing a loaded 15 round magazine so I could develop the fine motor functions do to it quickly. I think I may have somehow bumped or jarred the magazine catch or something, because now when I insert a magazine there is a significant amount of resistance that was not there before. Its very strange..I have never experienced anything quite like it on an auto-loading handgun before.

The magazine will go in normally until about 10-15% is left to be inserted. Then it encounters resistance and I really have to push the magazine in to lock it in the gun. Its easier if the magazine is empty or not completely full, but if all 15 rounds are loaded, I really have to give it quite a ‘whack’ to get it to lock.

Anyway, I have reason to believe the culprit is the magazine catch, because I can visually see the part of the mag catch move outwards when I insert the magazine. This is on the side of the pistol opposite the actually magazine release button. Sorry if that was so confusing, I promise it made sense. I think..

Anyway, any suggestions on what to do?? Maybe I just need to remove the mag catch and reinstall it?? Is this even possible for me to do?? Or is the mag catch even my problem?

Thanks.
Old November 6, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Coop de Ville

Interesting. I've been examining mine and am puzzled. Make sure the catch spring hasn't popped out of its track. Also check the mag for bulging or damaged plastic that may be hanging up. If the slide is closed, then sometimes the first round will impact the chamber and it takes force to further compress the rounds.

Let us know,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old November 7, 2007, 12:28 AM   #3
David Hineline

Whack can be normal

Whack can be normal when the mag is full. Open the slide on the gun and lock it open, insert magazine if the whack is now not needed it is not the magazine catch but the whack is needed to compress the top round in the magazine against the bottom of the slide. If the slide is open there is nothing to compress against and should slide/lock in easily with no whack.