The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 31, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Lawyer Daggit

94 Winchester Scout scope mounts

I have a pre-64 Winchester 94 and am looking to fit it with a Burris scout scope that I have obtained.

There are a number of brands of mounts available, I am looking for one that will give me a fairly low mounting for the scope so that my face can rest on the comb- any suggestions?.

I realise some mounts will be made for Angle Eject models necessitating drilling a couple of additional holes on a pre AE model - that is OK.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:37 AM   #2
tplumeri

cabelas had one for 55 bucks. need to drill two hole at fwd end receiver for pre 64.
burris makes one as well.
i had planned to do the same thing to mine but got talked out of putting holes in my 94. ended up buying an angle eject for cheap and putting the scope on it.
i'm assuming you want top mount. if you can live with side mount, many options.
Kwik Site KSW-94 Side Scope Mount Winchester Model 94. 30 bucks on ebay express.
Old November 1, 2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

94 Scout scope

Thank you for the response. I do not want a side mount as I have a LER scope here, also I am anxious to play with the scout scope.

Is there a problem with drilling pre 64 94's- mine is in very good condition and I do not want to wreck its value / appeal- although I will never sell it.

I had assumed that two small holes would not be a great deal.
Old November 3, 2007, 05:50 PM   #4
tplumeri

I guess its like customizing a classic car; some folks will think its a bad idea.
I wanted to have some fun with the scout scope as well but folks appealed to the purist in me and i left the old 94 as it was.
you should do what makes you happy.
theres a member of this forum that has mounts. ill try to find the thread for you
tom
Old November 3, 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
tplumeri

the guy to talk to is Wildalaska (Ken) at 800-992-4570
good luck
tom
Old November 3, 2007, 06:34 PM   #6
rugmar

XS Scout mount is probably the way to go. No permanent mods to the gun.
Old November 3, 2007, 06:38 PM   #7
RoscoeC

Interesting, I just finished putting the XS mount with a Weaver pistol scope on my old pre-64 94 winchester. I'm hoping to shoot Bambi with it in a couple of weeks. I have been to the range with it, and it is a shooter.
NRA Life Member
Old November 4, 2007, 03:28 AM   #8
Scribe

I have an XS Scout mount on Mauser K98 and it is a low strong reliable setup. But give some thought to the classic angle.
Old November 4, 2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

The XS mount will require drilling two holes on the action I believe.

I might look at the option of getting a savage scout gun and not adulterating the M94.

Thanks for the advice.
Old November 4, 2007, 11:42 AM   #10
AK103K

If you want to try the forward mounted scope, go with the Savage.

I tried the XS (AO) type mount on my 94 Trapper. I didnt glue it on, like the instructions said to, and just tried it screwed on. It worked OK, but the whole thing took away from the handiness of the little rifle and I went with one of their ghost ring rear sights. They do require you to either drill and tap the receiver for the scout mount if your rifle is older. The newer Winchesters are already drilled for a scope and the XS uses those holes and the rear sights dovetail for the mount.

The Savage Scout works very well, although the B Square mount is a little cheesy. It does work well though, just Loc Tite everything well before you mount anything.
Old November 4, 2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Lawyer Daggit

Thanks AK 103K- that is the type of scenario that worries me. My 94 has over 40 years without rust or apparent damage to wood work- and shows a pleasant degree of figure for such a rifle, & i would hate to be responsible for that kid of mess.

How long have you owned the Savage and what bullet weights have you used.

I tend to use about 130gn projectiles in .308 because the size of local game does not call for anything bigger and wonder if the twist rate (1:10? on a 20 inch barrel) will handle this weight well.
Old November 4, 2007, 11:02 PM   #12
RoscoeC

Quote:
The XS mount will require drilling two holes on the action I believe.
Yes, I forgot this detail. Two holes have to be drilled and tapped with an 8-48 tap, if i remember correctly. I have a small milling machine that made this very easy.
NRA Life Member
Old November 7, 2007, 01:13 AM   #13
SEMO549

Hey man I have a Kwik side mount for my 94. It screws in three existing holes, not permanent. It's built solid as a rock and it mounts really low. So low infact I don't think you could put any scope bigger that 40mm. My nikon 3x9x40 mount about 1 milimeter above the iron sight. Works great for $29.

Here's a picture:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-27047.html