The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 24, 2007, 12:23 AM   #1
slidelock15

5 screw Smith and Wesson

Can someone post a picture of a five screw smith that actually shows the screws? I know one of them was in the trigger guard and I understand the others were in the sideplate, but where? The reason I ask is I my brother has a cherished old Mod.19 which he insists is a five screw. The serial number indicates manufacture was in 1957, but I can only find 2 screws in the sideplate and the one in the trigger guard. I must be missing something.
Old October 24, 2007, 01:23 AM   #2
chris in va

Don't know if this helps any, but it's my 1952 model 36.

Old October 24, 2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Majic

The fifth screw was located at the top of the sideplate below the rear sight. When the Combat Magnum or Pre- M19 was made S&W had already deleted the fifth screw form the designs.

The screw by the hammer is the fifth screw. There is a third screw hidden under the stock panel and the fourth screw is in the front curvature of the trigger guard.
Old October 24, 2007, 04:40 AM   #4
k Squared

S&W Letter

Slidelock 15,

If all else fails, write to S&W. They can send you a letter of authenticity which will tell you if the gun is a "5 screw". It costs $30 and takes a month or two.

Better yet, have your brother make the request.

Here is the link: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...ectionId=10504

Last edited by k Squared; October 24, 2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 24, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

In the pictures shown above, one screw is being hidden by the grip extensions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 26, 2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Hammer It

Hello
If you look at this Pre-War K-22, along with the second series hand eject, you will see the Four side plate screws. The fifth is in front of the trigger Guard and it keeps a Pressure on the cylinder stop. After 1957 S&W Milled a Lip in the Upper right hand corner of their sideplates and we saw the Upper sideplate "Bug Screw" as it was called gone forever..If a Five screw revolver has Target grips, it will cover up the upper right hand side plate screw as shown on my 1948 K-22 Below.They also had what I call Transition guns. These will have the screw still there in front of the trigger guard, but will be missing the upper sideplate screw. These are called Four Screw revolver's and are often more rare than their earlier Five screw Brother's as the trigger guard screw was Present until all the Older style frames became exausted for each model. I hope this helps.. Regards, Hammer It

1936 K-22 Outdoorsman

1927 Second Series hand eject

1948 K-22 Upper Left sideplate screw Hidden by Grips