The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 23, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1
mmasteve

Best maker of AR-15

i was at the gun show this weekend and looked at tons of AR15s who makes the best quility ar, i looked at the s&w M&p, SIG 556, COLT, ROCKRIVER. DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, its a tough choice, every one has something a little different i like about it, just want some opinions on who has the better quility and the better bang for the buck. any info will help thanks
Old October 23, 2007, 05:35 PM   #2
CrazyIvan007

Since most parts are interchangeable, you can purchase the parts you like from the companies you like and you will have a working AR in the end. A bit of a Frankenstein, but it will be a good rifle.

Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt are top of the line. CMMG makes good upper parts. From there you have DPMS, RRA, etc...
Old October 23, 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
kristop64089

I have an Ameetec. It's acustom built gun. I opt for custom guns because they have better QC(IMO). The tolorances are tighter than those of the Mass produced guns. The uppers and lowers fit better.(no slop)

With that being said. Buy a CMMG. I am willing to bet they are one of the best built AR's out there. Great group of guys to work with. I always stop to chat with them(the owner even comes) at evey gun show. GREAT GUYS. can't say it enough.

I really like my AR, it's just to bad the owner is a scmuck(not a good guy, with the personallity of shoe leather) But he builds good ar's.

There are so many choices when it comes to AR's, that it is hard to go wrong. But of I were to avoid any makes, I would steer away from Oympic Arms, as there are better guns In that price range.
Old October 23, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Arabia

Here is a comparison chart of some of the major brands. It really depends on on how much you want to spend and how your going to be using it. If it is only for plinking at couple hundred yards or less than any of the consumer manufactures will be fine. If you are going to be using it for formal target shooting at long distance than you might want a precision built rifle. If it going to be used for tactical training than you want a very reliable, and dependable gun built to the same standard as military rifle. If you are not happy with the standard fare rifles offered by mainstream manufactures, you can also build a custom rifle by selecting the parts you want in a rifle.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Most people consider Colt, and LMT to be the best in the perspective field as military grade weapons. Sabre Defence, S&W, Noveske, and CMMG are near the top, just a slight notch below military grade, but offer more build choices. Bushmaster, RRA, Stag and Armalite are all bunched together as dependable consumer branded rifles. DPMS and Oly are considered by many to be basic rifles. Most people would rate DPMS better than Oly. Oh BTW the SIG 556 is not an AR15.
Old October 23, 2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Jermtheory

Quote:
Here is a comparison chart of some of the major brands. It really depends on on how much you want to spend and how your going to be using it. If it is only for plinking at couple hundred yards or less than any manufacture will be fine. If you are going to be using it for formal target shooting at long distance than you might want a precision built rifle. If it going to be used for tactical training than you want a very reliable, and dependable gun built to the same standard as military rifle.

Quote:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Most people consider Colt, and LMT to be the best in the perspective field as military grade weapons. Sabre Defence, S&W, Noveske, and CMMG are near the top, just a slight notch below military grade, but offer more build choices. Bushmaster, RRA, Stag and Armalite are all bunched together as dependable consumer branded rifles. DPMS and Oly are considered by many to be basic rifles. Most people would rate DPMS better than Oly. Oh BTW the SIG 556 is not an AR15.
^^^^
Old October 23, 2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Yellowfin

I am building an Anvil Arms right now and look forward to testing it a few thousand times. Their components seem top notch from what I can tell so far.
Old October 23, 2007, 06:35 PM   #7
dwatts47

Quote:
i was at the gun show this weekend and looked at tons of AR15s who makes the best quility ar, i looked at the s&w M&p, SIG 556, COLT, ROCKRIVER. DPMS, Bushmaster,
The SiG 556 shares nothing with an AR15 save for the ammo/mag/stock... everything else (most importantly the adjustable gas piston system) is different.

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking CMMG owners to anti up the truth about their products.

I wanted to build another AR myself to see If a "parts" gun could rival my Wilson Combat AR.

Long story short: Met Lawrence, Jeff and John (Father, son, son, owners of CMMG) I told them what I wanted to do, to which former marine vet (and heck of a salesman) Lawrences said, "We make money doing this, but we do it because we love it, If you buy this and it doesn't do what you want it to do, I'll pull money out of my pocket and buy it back."

4 weeks, 1500 rounds, zero malfunctions and 1.5 MOA accuracy w/ an AIMPOINT on a 16" flat top AR later.... Lawrence doesn't have enough money to buy this back.

Hands down the Wilson is 'nicer' but in the config that I've got them both set up, it offers no advantage in accuracy or reliability that I've found.

CMMG.... BIG +1
Old October 23, 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
uzimon

colt 6920
Old October 23, 2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Rusty Stud

sorry this is a little off thread...

what mags seem to be the best? Do they follow the same approx scale? just curious because alot of reliability issues seem to me mags... and i might be buying one of these at a gun show soon.

VOTE RON PAUL!!! 2008
Old October 24, 2007, 12:06 AM   #10
IdahoG36

The steel HK 416 mags are awesome. They are expensive, but you can sometimes find them online for $30.
Beretta PX4 Storm INOX 9mm, Beretta Nano 9mm, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Springfield XDm 4.5 .45, Ruger LCP .380, 20"Armalite/Rock River AR15, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle
Old October 24, 2007, 01:32 AM   #11
dwatts47

Hk mags are awesome, and heavily made...

I've had good luck with even generic mags, given that I use only the bodies, putting in Brownells springs and magpul followers. I also give a SLIGHT silicon spray time to dry inside of brand new mags before I assemble them... haven't got a bad one yet this way.
Old October 24, 2007, 02:23 AM   #12
RockyMtnTactical

You could buy 3-4 USGI mags for the price of one HK mag. Or 2-3 PMAG's for the price of an HK mag.

The HK mags are fine and all, but just like everything "HK", overpriced...
Old October 24, 2007, 12:06 PM   #13
Jermtheory

ive yet to have an issue(granted in a limited timeframe) with USGI mag's.

D&H are said to be some of the best,ive seen them for about $11-$12 a piece....no more than $15-$16.
Old October 24, 2007, 12:09 PM   #14
HorseSoldier

HK mags weigh more and still have occasional problems with feeding. I don't see them doing much that an aluminum USGI mag won't do and, as people have noted, for the price for a civilian shooter they certainly won't do anything three or four aluminum USGI mags won't do. On the Uncle Sam side of my life, I don't use my issue HK mags, just keep using the assorted regular mags I've squirreled away along the way. Shaves a couple pounds off my kit when fully loaded, too.
Old October 24, 2007, 12:23 PM   #15
RockyMtnTactical

That's another good point, the HK mags are heavy as hell.
Old October 24, 2007, 12:37 PM   #16
nra_guns_winner

It's all about what you plan to do with it. I have an old colt sp1. I'll never sell it, just keep buying extras. Most ar's are a dime a dozen and afrermarket stuff is all over the web. Buy it right the first time and save yourself the trouble of having to get all that aftermarket neat stuff.
Old October 24, 2007, 12:45 PM   #17
MyGunsJammed

I have some generic brand AR15 30 rd magazines which have never failed me.

I also have one new 30 Rd colt AR15 mag, which I'll probably never use..
Old October 24, 2007, 02:28 PM   #18
c4igrant

Which AR is best really matters as too what your doing with it. Just a plinker that shoots 100rds a month? Buy whatever you want. If want the weapon for training classes and personal defense, the look at LMT, Colt and Noveske.

Mags. The Magpul PMAG's are king with us. I would never recommend the HK mags for the following reasons:

1. Expensive
2. Heavy
3. Long
4. Rust when scratched
5. Feed lips are easly bent if dropped
6. Un-reliable in SBR as the springs do not have enough tension to drive the rounds quickly.

C4
Old October 24, 2007, 05:18 PM   #19
HappyGunner

Mags

I myself would not depend on any non-metal Mag.
Old October 25, 2007, 07:53 AM   #20
c4igrant

I would normally say the same thing, but then I actually tried the Magpul PMAG's and found that they are much more durable than any metal mag.

C4

Last edited by c4igrant; October 26, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old October 26, 2007, 12:07 AM   #21
molech

mags

i just picked up 7 of the magpuls and i love them! good product indeed. they also have a groove that runs down the inside of the mag to keep the rounds lined up right. and they are very strong. i saw a video on internet where they were running the mags over with a truck, put them back in the gun and they worked like a charm. " i found the link for the video....http://youtube.com/watch?v=4BA-EdEAHVA

Last edited by molech; October 26, 2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: found link i wanted to add
Old October 26, 2007, 12:33 AM   #22
molech

magpul

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc here is a better test video i found
Old October 27, 2007, 02:26 PM   #23
flip180

I love my Stag-15

I bought mine used with 2200 rounds through the tube for 650.00. It also came with a RRA two stage trigger installed, five mags, a nice soft case and a daniel defense single point sling plate. I've since ditched the carry handle and added an EOTech 512, A.R.M.S 40 BUIS, a Magpul CTR stock, a Magpul MAID grip and a Magpul enhanced trigger guard. This rifle is as nice as any I've had my hands on. Stag's fit and finish is just as good if not better than other compairibly priced AR's and, it also comes standard with a chrome lined bore and chamber.

BTW, Stag is an in-house brand of CMT which also makes alot of the major components for several other AR manufacturers. Stag handles S&W's warranty work if I'm not mistaken. That should tell you something.

Flip.

Last edited by flip180; October 27, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 27, 2007, 03:18 PM   #24
c4igrant

Flip, you are incorrect. S&W handles all warranty and assembly in house now.

C4
Old October 27, 2007, 03:50 PM   #25
USMCG_HMX1

As for mags, the 10 to 15 dollar each USGI mags are fine. All mags will wear out which can be told by the famous double feed, stove pipe jam, and of course the "spill 30 rounds into your ammo pouch just when you need it most" routine. A huge majority of problems can be solved on the AR platform by tightening the mag catch or replacing the mag itself.

The HK's are nice, but I've found that they last only a bit longer than a USGI mag and not worth the extra cash. Then again, I don't make a habit of driving over my mags, or stomping on them, etc..

Kris