The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 23, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Ruthless4christ

MAC-10 vs uzi

in your opinion, for general usage, which is considered more reliable. THE isreali UZI or an american MAc-10 (.45)?
Old October 23, 2007, 01:11 AM   #2
MisterPX

I'd go Uzi.
Old October 23, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3
KyleH

I am curious as to what general usage is with a fully automatic sub machine gun?
Old October 23, 2007, 04:41 PM   #4
SDC

Better balance, better accuracy, better overall is definitely the Uzi. The only thing the MAC comes in ahead is on concealability, which isn't a concern for most legal owners.
Old October 23, 2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Charles S

Having shot both...I must say that there is no comparison. The Mac 10 just is not in the same class as the UZI. However they are both submachine guns and are both inferior to the MP5. JMHO.
Old October 23, 2007, 10:44 PM   #6
AmesJainchill

I'd take the Uzi, but only if I couldn't get a silencer to go with the MAC-10.

Actually, a suppressed Uzi would be pretty cool, too, you NEVER see those in movies.
Old October 24, 2007, 01:33 AM   #7
guntotin_fool

The uzi is a war time proven weapon with 125 yard capability and rock solid reliability, the Mac10 is a toy for all intents and purposes.
Old October 28, 2007, 11:39 PM   #8
miniuzi

I would have said the Uzi hands down however given many of the after market additions you can put on a M11 such as the max-11 the M11 / M10 has become much more feasible to own and more fun for people to shoot. It's not just a "bullet hose" with the high rate of fire.

With that being said... I still love the Uzi the most and prefer the Mini Uzi over the full size Uzi. About 3 years ago I asked the same question you did and I ended up siding with an Uzi. The choice at that point was "which gun to get if I only buy one NFA gun?" I ended up deciding on the uzi and I asked the question on Uzitalk.com about which one I might enjoy the most. The Uzi is a work horse and is built like a tank and is very reliable.

-Todd
Old October 29, 2007, 01:12 AM   #9
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
I am curious as to what general usage is with a fully automatic sub machine gun?
What general usage CANNOT be made? mainly suppressive fire, and drivebys. the .45 makes it affective against cars.
Old October 29, 2007, 08:02 AM   #10
VUPDblue

Quote:
mainly suppressive fire, and drivebys.
Old October 29, 2007, 09:05 AM   #11
miniuzi

Well pick one which you like and make sure your homeboys take care of it next year when you are dead.
Old October 29, 2007, 09:55 AM   #12
VUPDblue

Now, I know that the OP is in Guatemala, and that the crime there is different than what we are used to, but that last comment has me questioning the OP's ethics and motives behind asking that question.
Old October 29, 2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Ruthless4christ

alright now...

hey i am justhaving a little fun, and drivebys are the prob the most popular usage of these things. anyhow, sorry if i scared ya'll
Old November 14, 2007, 11:00 PM   #14
LiquidTension7

Having had both an Uzi and an M11/9, I'd go with the M11/9 every time. The Lage Max-11 upper mentioned above puts the M11/9 in a class above the Uzi. Now that Mr. Lage has begun shipping his Max-10 uppers, you can have basically two (or three, with caliber conversion) subguns for the price of one.

Seeing as you're in Guatemala, if you can't get your hands on one of Mr. Lage's uppers I'd stick with the Uzi. The MAC10 by itself is fun at the range, but not very practical due to the ROF and terrible stock.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Tatsumi67

From personal experience, both being open bolt they are unsafe. The Uzi did jam on me quiet a bit, but its controllable, the MAC Ingrams in higher calibers (45) are unwieldy and cheaply made. Go with the Uzi.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:28 PM   #16
SDC

Though the UZI is an open-bolt design, that doesn't make it unsafe; in fact, it was designed specifically to EXCLUDE the sort of accidents that prior open-bolt designes were prone to. These usually happened when a loaded magazine was inserted into the smg, and it was dropped or bumped with enough force that the bolt would "bounce" to the rear far enough to pick up a round from the mag. The UZI has a grip safety that PREVENTS the bolt from moving (unless someone was to deactivate that safety, with tape, rubber bands, etc.), unless it is held and ready to be fired.
Old January 3, 2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Tatsumi67

Its not so much that the gun is unsafe, but i heard a cop tell me once that because conventially a bolt locks open when the magazine is empty, he once thought he had expended the whole magazine, and shot himself in the foot
Old January 3, 2008, 07:56 PM   #18
VUPDblue

That's not being unsafe, that's being stoopid and practicing poor trigger discipline.
Old January 5, 2008, 05:11 AM   #19
Crosshair

Quote:
That's not being unsafe, that's being stoopid and practicing poor trigger discipline.
+1 to that. With open bolt operation, the bolt is forward if the gun is empty. (Or if you hit a dud primer.) Another case of someone not knowing how their weapon operates.
Old January 5, 2008, 03:00 PM   #20
Tatsumi67

Here is one of my vids of Uzi shooting, the forward bolt clicking when the magazine is expended is a good physical indicator of "empty", with the momentum of the bolt moving its a definite indicator instead of the firing pin on an empty chamber which one could misconstrue as a misfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_LhlIO2P_4
Old January 5, 2008, 05:45 PM   #21
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Having shot both...I must say that there is no comparison. The Mac 10 just is not in the same class as the UZI. However they are both submachine guns and are both inferior to the MP5. JMHO.
Absolutely agree.

Nothing unsafe about an Uzi. Open bolt continuous fire weapons are a whole new world, and as such, the shooter needs to train, practice and be aware of all that goes with an open bolt weapon.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 6, 2008, 12:50 AM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...general usage is..." Big kid's toys. FA is great, expensive fun, but really has to practical use.
"...and shot himself in the foot..." Operator failure. Lack of training and complacency causes more incidents than anything else. There are more cop related firearm incidents that aren't heard about than you can shake a stick at. Minimal training, a lack of awareness and the days of cops being shooters are long gone. Few new cops, anywhere, have ever seen a firearm outside of TV and movies prior to being hired.
Old January 6, 2008, 01:17 AM   #23
VUPDblue

Quote:
Few new cops, anywhere, have ever seen a firearm outside of TV and movies prior to being hired.
I disagree.
Old January 29, 2008, 10:18 PM   #24
oldcspsarge

UZI is a far superior MG and much more accurate and deployable.

Carried one for years and trained many personnel with them.
NOT a jamamatic IF good clean mil-spec properly crimped ammo is used.

In a field combat deployment..a 9mm sub-gun is a poor choice of firearms but I would definitely choose an UZI over an MP-5.

MP-5 is great and sexy...but you cannot clear a jam or case rolled inside the receiver as fast as an UZI can be put back in service....you have to disassemble it to clear it and return it to service. UZI just lock the bolt back and roll the UZI over to the right and you are good to go.

For quiet entry and TANGO elimination...the MP5SD is the trick. Just start with a clean gun as they get real dirty real fast from blow-back into the chamber area.

JMHO.....after hundreds of thousands of 9mm MG shooting
Old February 19, 2008, 11:43 AM   #25
mec

A Mk10.45

He bought a bunch of them when the original company was closing out. This one has thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. He did say that there are important handling issues. for instance, if you try to rectract the bolt with the safety engaged, it will not stay back and will chamber and fire a single round.

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:21 PM.