The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Enron Exec

Ruger 10/22 wont cycle w/ normal load rnds

I just picked up the gun Friday and so far it has trouble cycling normal power rounds like Federal Champion Target or anything under ~130ft/lbs of energy. About 1 in 4 rounds will not eject the brass far enough and it will get caught in the reciever as the bolt goes back foreward. Ive also tried CCI Stinger with around 190ft/lbs and that will cycle just fine all day.

Is this normal for the 10/22? The .22LR was suppose to be a cheap 2-3 dollar per box ammo plinker and not 5 bucks. Oh well.
Old October 21, 2007, 08:53 PM   #2
jakeswensonmt

10/22's are prone to a higher malfunction rate during the first few hundred rounds that you use them, especially the stovepipes that you described, but 1 in 4 is high even in a new 10/22.

Is it new? Have you cleaned and lubed it yet? If it's new it ships with lots of protective goo inside it which needs to be cleaned out and replaced with a coat of light oil. If it's not new it might have some powder residue inside. Either way cleaning would be my first step. Make sure that you especially clean and lube the spring/guide rod assy, when my 10/22 starts to malfunction this is usually the reason. Avoid getting too much oil on the firing pin.

Mine eats cheap ammo all day long, as should any 10/22 in working order. For plinking I like the Federal 550 Bulk packs at Wally World for $9.99.

Last edited by jakeswensonmt; October 21, 2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: egregious typos
Old October 21, 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
MMarshall

Yeah, just keep shooting for a few hundred rounds and see if anything improves after break-in. The factory radius on the bolt is too little in my opinion, another reason why they don't cycle so well.

You can grind and sand smooth a radius yourself on the rear of the bolt, but I just ordered a KID radiused bolt with my trigger I got from them. It cycles silky smooth now with no issues at all anymore. The radius makes the bolt "ramp" up the hammer at a different rate and spreads the cycle load out more.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Enron Exec

Its brand new and i didnt clean anything the first time out at the range. After 80 rounds through it, i took it home and stripped it down to the bolt inside the reciever but I left trigger house alone. It was pretty clean, no i still hit most everything wil BreakFree CLP and then blew it out with compressed air. I used a lil oil on the surfaces where i saw wear, a lil dab of Miltec grease on where the bolt ramps up the hammer. I think that is where it has a significant increase in the cycle load like Marshal is mentioning.

How much was the KID radius bolt and trigger? How do you like the trigger?
Old October 22, 2007, 12:10 AM   #5
DWARREN123

There are a few things you can do.
1. Call Ruger
2. Check the rear of the bolt for sharp edge
3. The recoil spring guide rod can be smoothed by using very fine sand paper
4. You can, if you know how and have the equipment, bevel the rear of the bolt where it contacts the hammer
I have done 3 and 4 and it did smooth the actions operation.
Sounds like the operating system is tight and may smooth up with use.
Old October 22, 2007, 02:24 AM   #6
GATMOG

+1 on guide rod roughness--one could almost call it "serrated!"

smooth that sucker down with some sand paper and see how things go
Old October 22, 2007, 03:46 AM   #7
joshua

For light loads you can get the bolt lightened by machining it, reduce the recoil spring load by heating about 5 coils red hot and let them cool down slowly. You can try to smoothen up the recoil rod with a dremel and flitz, but you should shoot some of the high velocity loads to break it in and make sure it gets a little bit of lube. josh
Old October 22, 2007, 04:48 AM   #8
bigghoss

use CCI for break in. after that it should eat anything.