The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 16, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1
pdawg_shooter

Paper Patch bullet shooters.

Any paper patch shooters out there? Or am I the only one with more time than money?
Old October 16, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Scorch

I used to shoot my 11mm 1871 Mauser with paper patches bullets. It takes a lot of time and effort to yield good results. But it does look cool in the loading blocks!
Taylor Machine
Old October 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
pdawg_shooter

I do feel lonesome now. Knew paper patching wasn't real pouplar but didnt think I was the only on doing it!
Old October 19, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
davlandrum

Excuse my ignorance - but I have no earthly idea what this is. Care to enlighten me?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Scorch

There may be a few over in the BP forum.
Quote:
I have no earthly idea what this is. Care to enlighten me?
Paper patching is a way to shoot lead bullets at fairly high muzzle velocities without lead fouling. It involves wrapping the bullet's bearing area in lubricated paper and folding it around the base. It is used primarily for black powder cartridges, although I am sure there are smokless powder shooters who do it. It is easier on barrels of the black powder era than gas checks or jacketed bullets.
Taylor Machine
Old October 19, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
davlandrum

Thanks Scorch.

Wow that sounds like a lot of work, and I am kinda a lazy guy, so probably not something I want to take up

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
pdawg_shooter

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451, 430gr and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. Then the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?
Old June 16, 2008, 11:21 PM   #8
wildwes

hey everybody, i was needing some info, and i was wondering if anybody here could help me out
i have two questions- first, is a 540 grn, or 550 grn bullet usable in a 45/70, or is it too heavy for that cartridge?
Second, does anybody have, or know where I can get loading data to load 500grn paper patch bullets in a 45/70 with smokeless powder? Also, any bp loading data would be helpful too.
Thanks y'all, i appreciate it.
Old June 17, 2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Picher

The nice thing about paper patch bullets is that you can include a fortune from a fortune cookie in them, so people can pick them up on the range and read them.

Just kidding! No flames please.

Actually, I did shoot a 6.5x55 Swede that a feller loaded with patched bullets and it shot very well. In fact, I won a small inter-club military rifle match with it at 100 yards. The winning 5-shot group was about 1 1/4", as I remember. That's the best bench shooting I've ever done with open iron sights at that range.

Picher
Old June 17, 2008, 04:56 PM   #10
HOGGHEAD

Paper Patch

540-550 is pretty heavy for a 45-70. But not impossible. As far as Paper patching goes there is a fellow named Paul Matthews who has a small paper back book out that tells all about paper patching and loading. I have this book and it is a very good read. You can find the book on E-bay from time to time. I think I bought mine from Buffalo Arms about 10 years ago??

Paper patching is just another progression in casting your own bullets. It is a lot of fun, but it can be a bit frustrating-but not too much. Just take your time and read the book.

Paul explains things very well. Tom.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:16 PM   #11
sandw500

45-110

Well as for the big 45 there is the 45-110 or 120 with a 540 grain paper-patch bullet. This is the load that Quigly was to be shooting. But if he were firing this load it would have kicked his butt out of the camera shot. A 45-110 was a max of 110 grains of black powder and a 540 grain patched bullet. To be more real 70 to 90 grain of ffg would push this bullet fairly well.
Oh by the way the buffalo loads were not crimped, do putting you loads ammo in an ammo belt ment that the bullet would fall out and you would loose your powder. The best I can find the ammo was kept in cases or tins. The reason for the non-crimp is so the load would set the bullet to the rifling. The brass was re-loaded to be fired chamber size. Patching was done far from any place in most cases other than out in the field.
The long shot of about 1 mile was a 50-90 paper patch bullet,
Billy Dixon @ Battle of Adobe Walls, June 1874. Used a borrowed 50cal Sharps. Distance was a mere 1,538 yards. Used open sights. Bat Masterson was another name present.
In 1992 some Forensic Scientists ran some tests @ the Yuma Proving Grounds using a 50-90 Shilo Sharps. With muzzle elevated to 45 degrees a 650 Grain bullet, muzzle velocity 1,275fps, landed 3,190 yds away. It was tracked to just shy of 4,000 feet max trajectory & took aprox 30 seconds to travel the distance. At that range the bullets were still traveling @ 350 to 400 fps. A 650 grain bullet is considered to be lethal @ 300 fps.
With the muzzle elevated @ 4 1/2 to 5 degrees, using the same load, the bullet landed at 1,517 yards.
These tests were monitored using electronic equipment usually used to test cannon. This enabled the bullet to be tracked all the way. Black powder & lead bullet.
Makes one think. No fancy bedding. No fancy sights. No fancy ammo. No fancy barrel. No fancy "Tactical" mods. Rifles were "as issued" with 2 piece wooden stocks. Accurate to "minute of a torso" with sufficient retained energy/velocity to be lethal. Want to try the same feat with a lot of the highly touted rifles & cartridges available today?
Just for fun...