The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
dchi

Has you Glock 22 ever jammed?

I was wonder of those of you that own a Glock 22 .40. Has your' s ever jammed with factory ammo. I need info from guys who have very high round counts. I had a departmental issue one, 3rd generation. I've had about about 10 failure to feed and I think one stove pipe in 3 years of shooting it. I had put about 6000+ rounds thru it. Thats almost one jam every 500 rounds. Seems kinda high to me for a gun that is suppose to be one of the most reliable in the world. I've seen 2 other department G22 jam in matches.I have not seen any problem with the 100's of other ones I've seen used. But I really don't keep up the other guys gun. Im starting to think the G22 is less relible than G17&G19. I've never seen or had a problem with those models.
Old October 1, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Officer's Match

I think most 9mm ammo has a bullet profile more conducive to reliable feeding.
Old October 2, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
dwatts47

1. Never personally had ANY size Glock in any caliber jam regardless of round count or generation. (mag problems??)

2. Even the most reliable pistols jam SOMETIMES: one of my original SiG 220 with 10- 15k rounds thru it recently choked on some cheap surplus ammo that I borrowed to finish up a shoot. It chocked so often for a second that I thought I had finally broken something.

Though it was FILTHY near the end, a switch back to the qaulity of ammo this pistol deserves cured all.... who knows???
Old October 2, 2007, 01:33 AM   #4
dchi

The few times I have seen a glock jam on factory ammo has been with .40 G22. I see more guys using those putting more rounds down range than any other glocks or handguns for that matter. Im not sure if the G22 is less reliable than the other models or not. Maybe mine was not as good as the rest. 1 jam if roughly 500 rounds is not a lot but enough for me to have some doubts about choosing another one as my main sidearm.
Old October 2, 2007, 05:55 AM   #5
packgoat

NO
Old October 3, 2007, 06:09 PM   #6
ddskehan

no
Old October 3, 2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Surefire_U2

It really depends on the specimen.

I've had a G17 that had a high jam rate (traded it in for this reason). Probably just a lemon.

My current G19, G26, and G21 have never jammed up to this point.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:57 PM   #8
evan1293

My glock 22 choked on some winchester white box that I purchased. Probably just a bad lot, though.
Old October 3, 2007, 08:05 PM   #9
bobdat

My experience is only my experience.

That said, I bought a brand new G22 a month ago through my LE dealer. Sealed from Glock, I opened it and fired two full mags through it. I handed it to my girlfriend, she fired three rounds and the G22 failed to feed the 9th round in the third mag load.

My diagnosis is that she may have either limp-wristed it or else the mag spring wasn't strong enough to really pop one up fast enough for the velocity of the slide.

As I said, this proves nothing in the realm of what's typical for a G22.

BUT - There are numerous threads about FTF problems for LE agencies with Glock 22's going back many years and proceeding to right now.

Certainly your G22's lack of reliability absolutely disqualifies it for duty use. No failures should occur - NONE!

I don't buy into the sometimes popular cliche that some failures are acceptable because all mechanical things fail at some point, etc. - BALONEY!

Your duty weapon should NEVER fail and if it does, it should be an outrageously RARE occurrence. Also, it should be crystal clear what caused the rare failure and be immediately repairable or the gun should be permanently removed from duty use.

Never forgive your duty gun for failing you.
Old October 4, 2007, 08:10 PM   #10
MrAnteater

All my Glocks have run 100%. 9mm, .40, and 10mm. Never a single FTF.
Old October 4, 2007, 09:22 PM   #11
ISP2605

There have been some G22s giving some problems. Sorry I don't have the serial number ranges. IN SP had trouble with their new G22s and ended up getting rid of them before they ever hit the field and replacing them with G17. There were a few other depts with the same problems as IN SP, ie, Topeka KS, a dept in Oregon and another in Oklahoma. We had FTF/FTE problems with our high rd count G22s. There were a few other agencies having the same issues with high rd count guns all 1999 vintage. High rd count being 20K+. Eventually Glock replaced all our G22s with newer models which had longer locking blocks. That was 2 yrs ago and so far the newer design has functioned OK, however, none of them have gotten to the 20K+ rd count yet either.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:25 AM   #12
Seven High

My Glock 22 would not reliably fire Wolf ammunition. I believe that Wolf has too hard primers for my Glock. The Glock was traded off for a Sig 229. The Sig handles the Wolf ammo just fine.
Old October 5, 2007, 08:19 AM   #13
swman

I've been told that the only reliable Glocks are in 9mm. While you have reliability in most Glocks, the best is with the 9mm platforms. I've personally never had a 9mm platform ever fail on me, except for a couple bad magazines inducing failures, that includes Glocks, HiPowers and Berettas.
Old October 6, 2007, 09:58 PM   #14
mballai

Glocks in 9mm are much more reliable overall than those in 40 S&W. That said, the problem with the 40 is often due to magazine issues, those springs need replacement more often and I'd swap out the recoil spring as well. If it were a duty gun, I'd do those spring changes annually. Springs are cheap.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:43 PM   #15
456-SGT

Never a single problem with my G22. Even as a stupid rookie, I brain farted and put some .40 ammo too close to a pile of 9mm ammo. Inadvertantly fed a single 9mm round into the weapon, still made a bang, although less of bang (more of a "thud" sound) and it not only fired, but ejected the casing as well.

The armorer looked my pistol over and found it to be unaffected. He kept the 9mm brass as evidence that we should all be carrying Glocks, as he and I were the only ones at the time.

G22's are just as good as any other Glock out there, in my opinion.
Old October 7, 2007, 02:24 AM   #16
TNFrank

Once again, we must define terms. Very few if any modern semi auto pistols "jam", which is when the pistol action locks shut and can not be opened without taking the gun apart. Now if by "jam" you actually mean a failure to feed, or a failure to extract or a stovepipe then we're talking something totally different.

I. Stoppage - Anything that interrupts the firing cycle.

A. Failure to feed - When Round fails to chamber completely.

1. Magazine not seated completely

2. Bad ammunition

3. Damaged magazine - magazine follower, spring, lips, body

4. Dirty weapon - insufficient lubrication

B. Failure to Fire - The trigger is pressed, the firing mechanism functions but the weapon does not fire.

1. No round in chamber

2. Bad round in chamber

3. Slide out of battery

4. Damaged Weapon

a. Firing Pin

b. Hammer Spring

C. Fail to Extract - The weapon fires, but the case stays in the chamber.

(AKA Double Feed)

1. Debris under extractor (maintenance)

2. Bad Ammunition (case rim)

3. Broken extractor

D. Fail to Eject - The weapon fires but the fired cartridge case is caught between the bolt fact of the slide and the chamber portion of the barrel.

1. Shooter Induced

a. Limp wrist

b. Arms not locked

2. Bad Ammunition

a. No power to operate slide

3. Broken extractor

4. Dirty Weapon - insufficient lubrication

STOPPAGE CLASSIFICATIONS

I. Phase I Non mechanical stoppages that can be quickly cleared: No round in chamber, bad round, magazine not seated, stovepipe.

A. Failure to feed

B. Failure to fire

C. Failure to eject

II. Phase II Non Mechanical stoppages that can be cleared but require more time. Double feed/two failures to fire.

A. Failure to extract

III. Phase III Mechanical failures that require a departmental armorer to correct.

A. Breakage

B. Wear

Daily inspection and periodic firing and cleaning will help avert having a Phase III stoppage at an inopportune time
Old October 7, 2007, 08:10 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

My G22 was a service weapon as well and recently started gagging. The original mags seemed pretty tired so on a whim I bought a new mag. For me at least that solved the issues I was having. A new 10 round and a high cap mag and I haven't had a FTF since.
Old October 7, 2007, 08:28 AM   #18
hhb

Glock 22 jam

The local PD bought new M22's a couple of years and in response to LE complaints about reliability, Glock sent new recoil springs to my PD that had an extra coil on it.
Old October 7, 2007, 04:05 PM   #19
ltdave

my G22 has never hiccupped in any manner what-so-ever...

ive only put about 2,000 rounds of factory through it but about 5,000 rounds of LEAD reloads...

before anyone starts in about the 'polygonal rifling' please read ALL of Glock's literature and quote here, where Glock says they have such rifling. then read Hks lit and tell me where it doesnt say they have polygonal rifling*...

THEN, go shoot a smith K-frame .357 with lead bullets and tell me how much lead you get scraped out after 50 rounds and then well compare it to my glock after 500. you will have more lead**...

but anyway, ive never had an issue...

* because more than one person who claims to know, are insistent that Glock uses polygonal rifling. their rifling (lands) is more akin to speed bumps. Hks have barrels that appear to have been heated and then twisted, forming a flat sided bore...

**ive never seen any leading in my barrel especially after a long period of time and when compared to the slivers of lead i pick out of the forcing cone of smith and wessons...

theys things need to be clarified before i get crucified for doing such things. by the way, heres a pic of the groups i shoot offhand (2-handed) from about 20 yards with a 155gr LSWC over 5.7g of Unique...

Old October 7, 2007, 05:14 PM   #20
Superhouse 15

Jam

We rent them at the range where I work, along with various other pistols and revolvers.

Everything jams eventually. When they get dirty and full of funky old powder, everything jams. Revolvers, 1911s, Glocks, Sig, H&K, you name it. The Glocks and most everything else has high round counts and poor maintenence practices. Sooner or later, they jam. The Glock 22 clean and lubed to specs is no less reliable than any of our other Glocks. Take it to the armorer, you may need a new mag, recoil spring, or something minor.
Old October 8, 2007, 07:57 AM   #21
stevelyn

I've had one malfunction with my G-22 caused by a mag that wasn't seated. An immediate action drill for a Type 1 malfunction got it up and roaring again before anyone realized I had a malfunction.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:30 AM   #22
zukiphile

Quote:
Thats almost one jam every 500 rounds.
That would put me off as well.

In my 24, over the course of approx 7,500 rounds of CCI aluminium, Wolf steel and copper coated reloads, I had one failure arising from a bad CCI cartridge case.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:09 PM   #23
unit 900

Baltimore PD wound up exchanging all of their G22 a few years ago. They had a bunch with bad springs and other parts. We had G17 before that and no problems.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:21 AM   #24
GDW73R

I was at the range today had a Glock 22 jam on me 4 times. I went and got one of the employees and she tried it out and it jammed on her twice. This was my first experience with a Glock and was surprised, because I had alway heard how reliable they were. It was a gen 4 BTW.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:44 AM   #25
FreakGasolineFight

I don't own one but I witnessed a friend's jam on him once during normal shooting. I was able to induce jams consistently while limp-wristing it, too, but that won't happen during normal shooting.

His gun was used but not heavily. I highly doubt it has more than 500 rounds in it.

I think the G22 probably is less reliable than the G17 and G19. However, if you really wanted to be safe, I'd definitely consider looking into other weapons that your department may allow as sidearms. (I assume you are police.) I've seen a few police carrying Sigs, so that might be an option.