The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: What's your favorite weapon tool besides firearms?
Compound Bow 8 12.31%
Recurve Bow 4 6.15%
Long Bow / Self-Bow 2 3.08%
Crossbow 5 7.69%
Axe 4 6.15%
Hatchet/Tomahawk 10 15.38%
Short Spear 2 3.08%
Long Spear 1 1.54%
Short sword / Dirk 6 9.23%
Long sword - 1 handed 5 7.69%
Long sword - 2 handed 4 6.15%
Pocket/Folding Knife 23 35.38%
Fixed Blade Knife 28 43.08%
Bayonet 5 7.69%
Mace/OC Spray 12 18.46%
Stun Gun 6 9.23%
Asp/Baton 9 13.85%
Blow Gun 1 1.54%
Throwing Stars 1 1.54%
Nun Chucks 2 3.08%
Brass Knuckles 3 4.62%
Club / Mace 6 9.23%
Baseball Bat 8 12.31%
Impact Kerambit 1 1.54%
Cross/Garlic/Picture of H. Clinton/Other 11 16.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Favorite Non-Gun "Weapon Tool"

See poll. Pick 5-10.
Old September 30, 2007, 01:56 AM   #2
teeroux

i picked other because you didnt have hammer.

i swing sledges a part of my living and i can swing one pretty darned hard quick and accurate.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:06 AM   #3
$m0kin

The Etool

I can't beleive that the oh so famous entrenching tool was left out, that is a multi-purpose tool right there. I just loved when we had to dig in and once we were done we were told to moved 2 or 3 more times.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Scorch

I chose fixed-blade knife, because thanks to the USMC, I can disassemble a person with one faster than a doctor can put him back together.
Taylor Machine
Old October 2, 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

What, no throwing star junkies? I used to have this nerdy next door neighbor who'd go out and practice with his throwing stars - when I was a kid, he was a teenager. Then one day it dawned on me: If they're sharp enough to do serious damage to your opponent, then they're sharp enough to cut the crap out of your hands when you throw them. Pretty useless.
Old October 2, 2007, 07:40 PM   #6
wolverine350

Cold steel tanto
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old October 3, 2007, 12:45 AM   #7
Sgt.Fathead

Yup.

+1 on the E-tool which resides under my truck seat.

+1 on the hammer as I have a 2# blacksmith's cross pein right next to the E-tool.

The Corps was twenty years ago and I was never much good with a knife, even then. But I'll batter you good with hammer and entrenching tool, Oh My Brother!
Old October 3, 2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Manedwolf

Depends on if you mean possibly lethal or definitely nonlethal.

For the former, most of those already mentioned. A good e-tool, not a Chinese copy, is a solid weapon.

For definitely nonlethal, I have one of these:

loaded with .68 caliber Pepperball OC balls, an inexpensive airsoft laser on it. Semiautomatic and decent range, plus unlike a taser, you get more than one try at it!
Old October 3, 2007, 11:22 AM   #9
dwatts47

If we're just talking fighting someone else that has any weapon other than a gun as well, give me the baton.

Its easier to use under stress than a knife and causes more noticeable immediate damage. I once briefly got in front of the wrong end of a knife, but thought I had been kicked in the side rather than gigged.

I also once briefly got in front of a fast moving lead pipe and decided right then to avoid that one from now on. Have a permanent scar that my goatee covers up to prove it.
Old October 3, 2007, 11:29 AM   #10
sholling

You left out walking stick.
Old October 3, 2007, 01:02 PM   #11
JoeHatley

Other: sapp

Joe
Old October 3, 2007, 01:16 PM   #12
FALPhil

Walking sticks do sound interesting...

Last edited by FALPhil; October 3, 2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: First post was kinda smart-ass.
Old October 6, 2007, 01:54 PM   #13
Wolf Lies Down

--
-There are, as others have noted some important choices missing from the poll list.

And, there is an important deciding factor as to which choice to make.

The important deciding factor regarding choice is whether or not you are interested in staying within the law or in avoiding hassels from that percentage of law enforcement personnel that should be working at Wal-Mart or in a shoe store rather than wearing a badge.

Next, the missing choices:
---"fixed blade knife" is a takes in a lot of territory, including my choice, which is a GOOD 12" machete. Therefore, it should have been broken into categories.

---The military (NOT commercially-made military "style") entrenching tool is missing, as noted by another member. There are a variety of these out there; probably the most notable right now is the folding "NATO" shovel. These things are invaluable in a "survival" situation or as a weapon that can't normally be successfully challanged by overzealous officers or prosecutors.

---The walking stick, noted by another member is missing. Cold Steel used to sell a rattan walking cane (curved top, brass tip). They have some other innocuous-looking canes now, but I liked the rattan version. As a "survival" tool, fahgetaboutit! You can make one of these with your knife, but as a defensive weapon, look out! Devastating damage to your opponent will ensure he leaves you alone. And, Me? Carry a weapon? Why officer! That's not a weapon! That's my CANE! I suffer from gout, you know. Lucky I had it, though. That guy mighta HURT me!

---My choice, the short, 12" carbon steel machete is fairly inexpensive and if you see one that IS expensive, or is made out of stainless steel, that ain't the right choice! A machete is easy to sharpen or re-sharpen, works well as a knife, an axe or a digging device, makes devastating wounds in people and is extremely useful in making other tools, including some of those in the list and in some replies. As far as a "survival" knife (i.e., one used to get yourself out of a jam in the "wilderness" and NOT one used as a defensive or offensive weapon against other people), I rate it as number one. Cold Steel has a large number of machete varital configurations and lengths that are inexpensive, durable and ready to go....real knife tools these are and not toys. Heck, if you are handy, you could buy one these things and with a metal-cutting bandsaw, make a blade to your own design criteria.

---The "other" choice in the poll would be okay as a choice if some of the more important unnoted choices were included in the poll.

---I didn't see "cell phone" on the list. Gotta have one of those to call 911 (don't hold your breath) or to get a delivery pizza when you are in real trouble. Your attacker, be he person, bear or skunk should cozy-up and become friendly real quick at the prospect of pizza!

---I also didn't see the "Hillary for President lapel button" on the list, which is easier to handle than the photo you noted. Bad guys seeing this will immediately realize that you are on their side and will leave you alone. Also, in a "survival" situation, a grizzly bear might see the button and think you are related to 'da &!+@# in some way and will leave you alone for culinary reasons.

Wolf Lies Down

Last edited by Wolf Lies Down; October 6, 2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old October 6, 2007, 02:18 PM   #14
MyXD40

I didn't vote. There wasnt an unopened can of pepsi on the list..
Old October 6, 2007, 09:17 PM   #15
spctim11

My mind, vehicle than fist.
Old October 7, 2007, 08:26 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Where does 6 "D cell" maglite fall? I've got a gun handy, but the maglite works if needed when things go bump in the night.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:45 AM   #17
Geoff Timm

Another vote for the Etool. I've got a Pakistani knock off of the old WWII version w/o the pick.

Geoff
Whose SOP begins, empty the shotgun...
Old October 7, 2007, 10:58 AM   #18
FirstFreedom

1. With all the dissatisfaction in my poll choices, I'm going to re-do this poll. I'll add (a) Entrenching Tool, (b) Short machete/Khukri, (c) Vehicle, (d) Walking stick, (e) 4/5/6 D cell Maglite, (f) soda pop can, (g) what else?

2. But, question: Can you guys please elaborate on the entrenching tool? How/why is this is a weapon? How is it employed, other than a shovel? Just a club only? Or as a slasher/cutter also? Can you give me some more history/explanation on the e-tool as a weapon? Any links? Thanks.
Old October 8, 2007, 12:36 AM   #19
skeeter1

Well, my picks were rather typical. But, you left out an Irish Shillelagh. I never leave home without one. That, and a folder in my pocket. Or maybe a small pepper spray can in another pocket. Or maybe my CCW in a IWB holster. Or... Oh well, there a lot of things available.
Old October 8, 2007, 12:45 AM   #20
FirstFreedom

Uh-huh, I'm sure you take it to the grocery store.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:36 AM   #21
velocette

A Swiss army knife and a Surefire go with me all the time. I may change the carry weapon to the choice of the day, but that knife and lite are an always companion.

Roger
Old October 9, 2007, 11:03 AM   #22
FirstFreedom

Please guys - want more info on the E tool!
Old October 9, 2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Geoff Timm

I grew up in the '50s with a massive amount of "war stories" of WWII available. The entrenching tool, folding shovel, was often the CQB weapon of final recourse. It was shorter than a bayonet mounted rifle and some units sharpened theirs with a file. Use like a short pike or battle axe, swing like a baseball bat.

Geoff
Who notes the modern triple fold plastic version would be problimatical in a fight.
Old October 9, 2007, 03:50 PM   #24
Geoff Timm

For the short version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrenching_tool

Long version
http://reviews.ebay.com/U-S-Entrench...:-1:LISTINGS:1

Geoff
Who carried one back in the 70's in the US Army, but only occassionally.
Old October 10, 2007, 12:06 PM   #25
FirstFreedom

Entrenching Tool

I guess I have a hard time seeing how it could be viewed as a "favorite" weapon, or 1st choice weapon (besides a gun). Sure it can be used as a weapon in a pinch, if it's all you have. It can club, and it can cut some too. But it seems that it's far far inferior to some other weapon choice, if you HAVE a choice, be it sword, hatchet or whatever, so I'm just not understanding the "love" it's getting from so many people. I'd take on an e-tool bearer with my chisa katana any day of the week, and twice on sundays.

Don't get me wrong - it sounds like a great weapon of last choice, as you say, for the soldier who doesn't have room to carry a lot of stuff, and doesn't have any other weapon once he's out of ammo. But I can't see why anyone would vote for it in the poll as their favorite weapon. Any, to each his own....