The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1
2cooltoolz

Seecamp 32?

O.K. I'm about to pull the trigger. CHL in TX. Want something for "forget about it" pocket carry. Over the years I've owned Bobcats (in 22lr, I love them, fun and cheap to shoot, but don't trust them to stop the Bad Stuff), currently own (2) .38 snubbies, Kahr MK9, High Standard 22mag derringer, and some larger (and much larger) guns.
I don't see a 22mag pocket auto on the horizon (been watching for 20 years, love the WMR), and all of the above, except maybe the derringer, are too large for everyday life. I've just said "no" to .380's and below for years, but I've never really carried full time.
I bought a Keltec PF9 from my local dealer. It felt like a BB pistol. Took it back same day. From what I've read Keltecs are great once you send them back once or twice. Great customer service.
The NAA guardians look nice, but I don't hear people going into much detail on quality.
The Seecamp seems to be the one that sets the standard, but nobody seems to give much anecdotal testimony, as though the name itself says it all.
I want one. If you actually own (or owned) a Seecamp 32 tell me about it. (And please, Keltec guys...don't tell me how quickly Keltec sends back your repaired P32) NAA guys...sell me if you can.
Thanks!!!! (pictures, especially size comparisons, are cool!!)
Old September 25, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
NCHornet

Ok I am a NAA guy so let;s see what I can do. I have fired many Seecamps as well as Guardians and KelTec's. First let me say the Seecamp is a very high quality firearm, but I also believe the Guardian is also a very high quality weapon. The reason I prefer the Guardian over the Seecamp is number one size, that's right I don't prefer the "smaller the better" idea. The Guardian totally disappears in my front pocket, what more do you want? Yes you can get to small in a gun, and if you are scared to shoot it you will tend to flinch and develop other bad habits, so for me anyway the extra size and weight come in handy, especially with the snappy SD 380 rounds. The Guardian offers mag finger extensions and Seecamp doesn't. I am no giant but I have decent sized hands, the Seecamp is simply to small for me to fire it comfortably, the finger extension mags allow another full finger on the grip which greatly improves in firing the weapon. The finger extensions don't hinder concealing these guns in the slightest. The Seecamp will only feed reliably very expensive SD rounds. Maybe you are rich but I don't like shooting rounds at $1 each for practice, although I do believe in practicing with what you carry just not all the time. My Guardian has fed everything I have fed it from cheap plinking ammo to the high dollar SD Corbon DPX's. The Guardian is available with gutter sniping and the Seecamp isn't. Before you discount sights on a pocket gun as useless, you have to try these gutter sniped guns. I use to feel the same way before I bought my 32acp Guardian with this option, now I want to send my newly acquired 380acp in for the same treatment. The NAA line of guns have a no nonsense Lifetime warranty on their guns. I was shocked when I mentioned on the NAA message board how my night sights on my 32acp gun were a bit dim. I received a email from Sandy, the CEO of NAA, telling me to send them the slide and it would be corrected. Sure enough about 2 weeks later the slide was returned with a brand new set of night sights at no charge, so you can't beat their customer service. I also don't care for the European mag release on the Seecamp, I prefer it in a traditional location as the Guardian has. Well there you have it, all the reasons why I chose the Guardian over the Seecamp. I suggest you fire both if possible, if you live near me you can fire mine. Good luck on making the choice that is right for you. If none of the above makes a difference to you than you can't go wrong with the Seecamp. PM me with any ?
Here is a pic of the twins.

Old September 25, 2007, 06:53 AM   #3
deputy tom

I have one of the first Seecamp .32 acp pistols which is limited to WW Silvertip ammo.It is a very nice firearm in every aspect.I owned a Guardian .32 but sold it when an unexpected vehicle repair was needed.I wish I still had that one.I also have owned 5 keltec p32's and the fifth one is the only one that worked.It will be traded in on a Guardian sometime in the very near future.YMMV.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old September 25, 2007, 07:05 AM   #4
PSP

The two guns I carry are the P2000SK and a Seecamp. If you want Seecamp info the place to go is http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl My Seecamp is an older model and has proven very reliable. The newer guns are supposed to be even better. I usually carry it in a pocket, either pants or a jacket. It's very small size and low weight, 10.5 oz, make it easy to hide.

Even without sights the Seecamp it is very easy to control shot placement, as long as you are within reason. I practice close in, 3-7 yards and can shoot a quick fire group of about 6". I use Silver Tips or Gold Dots only. The one knock on the gun is it's ammo sensitivity...it is. Just stick with what works and don't try the cheapest ammo you can find.

Quality is first rate. Warranty work if needed is quick. Questions are answered daily by Larry Seecamp on his website forum. Now that the prices are down to MSRP level these are, IMHO, the pick of the litter among the pocket pistols. Choose .32 or .380, the gun is the same size. The difference is in price...a .32 is about $400, the .380 about $800.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old September 25, 2007, 07:22 AM   #5
xrocket

2cool

Many threads on pocket pistols have all recommended various mouse guns over the years and while many have come and gone the Seecamp remains preeminent above all others for dependability, quality and service. I'm sure you've done your homework, but here are a few of my observations.

Yes, I carry a Seecamp everyday, anywhere, in my right front pocket. It is smaller and lighter than any other all steel firearm. It is infinitely reliable when you use the recommended rounds and maintenance. It is easy to load, shoot and hit COM at five yards. It is a CQ when the SHTF up close and personal ... for real life saver.

What it is not is a range gun. Nor is it a target pistol or an offense weapon.

Simply ... for what it is, it is the best.

Here is what I tell others that are contemplating buying a Seecamp:

When you get it ..... you get it.

That really sums up the Seecamp.

Mr. Seecamp is on the Seecamp forum [http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ] almost daily and he will provide you with his cell phone number if you encounter a problem. I've not experienced that anywhere else in a gun manufacturer. I suggest you visit the forum and check out all the threads for more information. There is a great deal more to the Seecamp story there that you will find interesting.

By the way, I'm a Texas CHL holder and I have a Seecamp .380 on order and that is a whole 'nother story all together.

Good luck, Good shooting.
Old September 25, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
AK103K

The simplest answer here is going to cost you the most money, but is really the only way for you to know, and you will still end up with the Seecamp at the end. The only way to know, is buy and try the rest to know why you have what you have at the end.

I've owned, used, and carried, at least one of most of the major mouse guns out there over the years. Most all were lacking, and many not all that small, even for smaller caliber guns. The only ones I have left are my Seecamp (soon to be Seecamp's ), which is on me every waking moment, and a Baby Browning that has sentimental value and hasnt been carried for years.

When you get it ..... you get it. pretty much sums it up.
Old September 25, 2007, 08:09 PM   #7
oystermick

I've owned my NAA .32naa for 5 years or so and it has yet to fail. Yes, it's a bit heavier than a Seecamp, but it disappears in the front pocket and while the .32naa ammo is not particularly cheap, it's an awesome round for a mouse gun.
Old September 25, 2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Playboypenguin

I have two Seecamps. I have the LWS32 and the LWS380. Both are the pinnacle of achievement as far as mouse guns go. If you are wanting a gun that can slip into a wallet holster and go into your back pocket with no more effort than carrying a regular wallet but is still a finely crafted weapon of unsurpassed quality then Seecamp is the only option.

I wrote a review on the LWS380 not too long ago. The LWS32 is easier to shoot and control than the LWS380 but it will give you an idea.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t=range+report

As far as size goes here are some pics that will give you a good idea.

Seecamp and Rohrbaugh R9

Seecamp and PPK

Seecamp and NAA Mini

Seecamp and S&W 637
Old September 26, 2007, 12:11 PM   #9
DAdams

LWS 380 vs 32

I recently purchased a NIB LWS and I'd second the 380. Once you get a .32 you will want a .380. 7 rounds of Golden Saber 102 gr is a compelling pocket carry.

They are the same size, weight and form factor.

Seecamp LWS .380
DAO
6+1
Weight 11.5 ounces Empty 14 ounces loaded

They are out there and if you invest in a few hours of phone work you can find one on the dealer list. You will likely pay more than the $795 MSRP to attain immediate gratification. I paid the equivalent of .27 cents per day to avoid the years wait. and gave up the custom SN being offered, a $40 retail value.

Go hang around the Seecamp Forum and read the posts. If you have questions, Larry Seecamp will answer them personally. He posts his cell number in case you need to get ahold of him.
Old September 26, 2007, 09:28 PM   #10
turbojohn

2cool

The bobcat is so easy to empty....don't think you'll have a problem stopping anybody. Shot position is excellent but you need the 22Lr velocitor 40 grain stuff.

Moving up from bobcat, I started carrying the .32 seecamp. Same light wt and somewhat smaller especially in the grip. Love it. Tough decision to let the bobcat take a back seat. However, thought then, I move up still futher to the 380 seecamp. The jolt on that piece is a bit too much for good shot position. I may go back to the see-32.

Derringers compared to these seecamps are useless. And the NAAs are much heavier.

All around the seecamp .32 is best and with the expanding bullet Seecamp recommends, you almost have a 380 anyway. However, everyone is different....you might like having the 380 with its reputation, that is, for best self-defense go 380 or higher.
Old September 27, 2007, 11:46 PM   #11
mthalo

OK, some people here are going to declare me Officially Mentally Ill, but I own
both a Kel-Tec p32 and a Seecamp 32, and I actually prefer the Kel-Tec.

There are two main reasons for this. First, there's a big difference in loaded weight between the two. My Keltec is about 10oz fully loaded. The Seecamp
weighs close to a pound fully loaded and carried in a pocket holster.
Second, I've really grown to like the optional belt clip on the Kel-Tec. It's real easy just to clip it to my waistband or cargo pocket, and forget about it. Even with the pocket holster the Seecamp shifts around a little in my pocket.

Both have been 100% reliable so far, with about 5-600 rounds in the Kel-Tec to date. I also like the fact that I can use any .32 auto round in the Kel-Tec.
Sure, it feels like a BB gun, but it's gone bang every time.

Since you already tried the Kel-Tec PF9, I would think that you'd have the same, if not worse opinion of the even more "toylike" p-32.
Old September 27, 2007, 11:58 PM   #12
turbojohn

Weight on fully loaded seecamp .32

I just weighed my loaded wt is 130z far from the pound you were claiming.
And the Kel-tec is 10oz fully loaded. But come on, the Seecamp is a polished good-looking weapon and the Kel-tec looks cheap, but of course who looks at them when they are in the pocket. And too, most often you get what you pay for
Old September 28, 2007, 12:22 AM   #13
mthalo

TurboJohn,

I just weighed mine and it's 15oz in the Hedley pocket holster, 13 without. No doubt the Seecamp is a best of class jewel, (the is the second one I've owned), but my Keltec is much easier for me to carry with the belt clip. The 5oz makes a big difference to me.

Also being 100% reliable for me, I have no concerns of the KelTec not working when I need it to.

Now the 380, that's a different story, I wouldn't consider the Kel-Tec. I would think it's just too light to properly hold together.
Old September 28, 2007, 07:18 AM   #14
xrocket

Put a belt clip on the Seecamp and compare apples to apples. Or take the clip off the KT and compare oranges to oranges. Either way a valid "weigh" is the two guns in the same configuration. Just makes sense.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so please proceed with our enlightenment.

Good shooting.
Old October 4, 2007, 09:23 PM   #15
454gun

#32 380

I own 380 and 32 seecamp I sold a NNA32 . The
seecamp is the best IMHO and I dont think you will feel the extra wt. Quality is great on the seecamp sharp kick in your hand ,but not range gun.

JON
Old October 4, 2007, 10:28 PM   #16
mthalo

Quote:
Put a belt clip on the Seecamp and compare apples to apples. Or take the clip off the KT and compare oranges to oranges. Either way a valid "weigh" is the two guns in the same configuration. Just makes sense.
I don't know of any way of putting a belt clip on a Seecamp, that wouldn't involve drilling or anything else that I wouldn't seriously regret doing, and I wouldn't take the clip off the KT because it's the main reason I like it.
It's not a big deal to me, I'm lucky enough to own reliable examples of both.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:59 AM   #17
j-framer

I see there have been a number of statements about the Seecamp's "100% reliability".

I'm envious of you guys who own these "reliable" guns.

My Seecamp .32 has NOT been reliable. It fails to feed occasionally, with the fresh round winding up with its nose jammed into the upper part of the entrance to the chamber. The malfunctions are exactly like those described by this owner over on the Seecamp forum here:

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...num=1188259328

I didn't see any resolution to the problem on the above thread.

My ammunition was newly manufactured Gold Dots, checked for consistency. I am satisfied it's not the ammo.

I've heard many good things about Seecamp, which is why I got one. Hopefully if you get one it'll be reliable.
Old October 5, 2007, 04:06 PM   #18
xrocket

Mr. Seecamp would be very interested in hearing from you about your problem gun. Since you know about the forum you also know he has published his cell number to the forum. It sounds as those it's a timing issue with yours and I'm sure he will make it run right if given a chance. Life is not perfect and I had to do a little ramp buffing myself on my Seecamp to get it to the "full confidence" stage.

Anything made by man can vary, but when it does come to customer service the LWS company will be there for you.

Good luck and good shooting.
Old October 5, 2007, 04:38 PM   #19
murphjup

+1 to Xrocket...

Come over to the Seecamp forum.. post in Larry's personal forum and he will assist you, I assure you...

Old October 5, 2007, 10:21 PM   #20
j-framer

Thanks to both of you. I wasn't intending a thread hijack or anything, just trying to be honest and up-front about my Seecamp experience.

I probably will track down Larry and see what he can do. I actually was following the Seecamp Forum thread I referenced above in hopes that the solution to that guy's problem would be posted, and that I could solve my own problem by following whatever advice was given him. From what I could see, things fizzled over there, and I was disappointed that nobody immediately jumped in with a quick diagnosis and a recommended fix.

I'll have to pursue this further.
Old October 7, 2007, 09:25 AM   #21
2cooltoolz

Thanks for the Advice...I pulled the trigger!!

Well I made the move and bought the Seecamp 32 through an online dealer yesterday...can hardly wait till it arrives!!!!
Old October 7, 2007, 11:27 AM   #22
xrocket

Congratulations on the new Seecamp. Head on over and introduce yourself to the guys on the Seecamp forum. It's a friendly and helpfully group that will guide you on your new adventure. BTW, even if you have a few renegade ideas like I do, they are very accommodating too a wild hair or two.

C'ya Good shooting.

PS: When you get it .... you'll get it!