The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 24, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1
oldredneck

.44 Rem Mag ballistics question

I just bought an H & R Handi-rifle in .44 Rem Mag. I need some suggestions on how to zero the scope to be in the kill zone on southern whitetails out to
150 yds or so. I'm using 250 gr. Winchester Platinum ammo. I zeroed my Rem .270 BDL about 1" high at 100 yds and I've had good luck with it out to about 200 yds. I've checked several ballistics tables and there is very little agreement between these tables and they make no distinction between handguns and rifles.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my handgun
Old September 24, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Tom Matiska

My suggestion for 240's out of a rifle at 1700+ fps is dead on at 100. THat gives you about 1.5" high at 50, and 6" or so low at 150. It is taking the elevator to the basement past 150, so the benefit of jacking it up higher at 100 is marginal.

FWIW, Mr Winchester only lists ballistics for your Platinum round in their Pistol section. Only 2 of their 44 Mag offerings are listed as rifle loads. My guess is the 250 platinums out of a rifle at shorter range may produce a bad ratio of edible meat/purple jelly.

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...VtIE1hZ251bQ==
Old September 24, 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
oldredneck

Tom,

Thanks for your input. I bought the platinum rounds after reading customer reviews on MidwayUSA and a couple of other sites. The bad thing is, they don't distinguish between handgun and rifle usage. I appreciate your response. I may just have to try different ammo to see which one performs the best. I was worried about some of the lighter loads penetrating without expanding.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my handgun
Old September 24, 2007, 06:36 PM   #4
hpg

The 44 mag is not a 150 yard caliber, even in a rifle. I wouldn't go past 100 yards with it.......my .02 worth.......hpg
Old September 25, 2007, 11:28 AM   #5
ursavus.elemensis

I have a Henry Big Boy .44 Mag rifle, which I really love a lot. But forget about doing anything useful with the bullet at 100+ yards. You are not going to be able to hunt at that distance or even target shoot without compensating for so much bullet drop that you'd need a laser range finder, a calculator, and tables and charts to consult before firing a shot. Even for targets, at 100 yards, you are dealing with a sizable bullet elevation loss. At 25-75 yards, it is a fun rifle to shoot.
Old September 25, 2007, 01:39 PM   #6
CarbineCaleb

There are lots of ballistics calculators out there that will do what you want, like this one:
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculati...raj_basic.html

But you can also look right in the precalculated Remington online tables to get a good idea.

Check their 240gr softpoint (R44MG2) out of a 4-inch handgun
http://www.remington.com/products/am...=pistol&cal=16

And check the same round (R44MG2) out of a 20-inch rifle
http://www.remington.com/products/am...px?data=R44MG2

You will notice that the rifle launched round is doing the same thing at 150 yards that the 4-inch handgun launched round does at the muzzle. When zeroed at 100 yards, it's 5.6 inches low at 150 yards.

If you want more power, Speer sells a 240gr softpoint that is loaded somewhat hotter (about 1300fps out of a 4-inch bbl, vs 1180fps for the Remington), and Double Tap sells the king, a 240gr softpoint loaded to around 1400fps from a 4-inch bbl -> that guy is rated at 1800+fps from a 16-inch bbl, and is a bargain too, at $35 for 50 rounds). Figure on roughly 35fps per inch of barrel length, to guesstimate your muzzle velocity as a correction to one listed.

P.S. Since handgun hunters routinely take deer out to 75 yards with a .44mag, and the rifle launched round will be running faster at 150 yards, it's hard to see how it's too weak at that range. As long as you can place the round, it will do the job.
Old September 25, 2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Old Time Hunter

hpg, you would have to explain how a managed to harvest 13 whitetail, one black bear, and one bull elk up the Clark Fork in the Bitter Root with my '94 Winchester Trapper chambered for .44Mag.

Old red neck, sight it in at 125 yards and you will be able to pass through an 8" plate from 25 yards to 150 yards. More than enough for hunting.
Old September 25, 2007, 07:39 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

ThisiswhatI'msaying

Exactly. If you want a PBR of 150, then you need a zero of 125-130 yards., NOT 100 yards, since it will drop dramatically after the zero in that round. That puts you several inches high at 75 yards or so, and several inches low at 150, but as OTH says, within an 8" kill zone (plus/minus 4") all the way to 150. As to exactly *how high* you need to be at 100 to have a 130 yard zero, you can plug that into the ballistic calculators to find out - you probably should familiarize yourself with these nice (and free) tools anyway (the online calculators), for future reference purposes. I still would not *recommend* a shot at 150 if you can help it...I'd try to stay under 100 - but if it's the buck of a lifetime, you'd be good to go without having to think about holdover.
Old September 26, 2007, 06:27 AM   #9
ursavus.elemensis

Humans killed and ate lots of animals before rifles were invented. So taking any impressive list of game with any rifle is interesting but does not prove that a particular rifle is the most optimal, or even the reasonably optimal way to hunt that game at that distance range. No one says byou "can't" hit a particular game animal at 150+ yards with a .44 Mag rifle. But I am saying that you probably have better options available and should probably use them, but heck, if you want to fish with a length of kite string and a safety pin, go for it. Me, I'll use the more optimal rod, reel, tackle and bait for the job I am intending to do. Same with rifles and hunting. I'd think a .44 Mag is best for under 75 yards.