The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2007, 08:36 PM   #1
redneckfyrfytr

Western Field Shotgun

A few months ago, I recieved a western arms single shot break away 12 gauge shotgun from my neighbor who's like 90yrs old. He didn't know how old it is and I've been curious to find out the age and value. If anyone has any clues, can you help me out?
Old September 19, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
TEDDY

I am guessing from lack of info but western arms was a division of Ithaca.
1929 to 1946.--
how ever if its Western field that is montgomery ward.and it could be any bodies make

Last edited by TEDDY; September 19, 2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add
Old September 19, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
bottom rung

I have a Montgomery Wards single shot shotgun. It says "Westeren Field" on the recoil pad. Not a bad gun. It says Hercules on the side. I love it. It is absolutely pristine in the metal with some knicks in the beautiful walnut stock. All in all, I might be able to get $75 for it if I really tried. If it is a Wards it probably isn't that old, maybe from the 50's or 60's I'd say. I kind like them old singles.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4
RJay

Made by Stevens or Iver Johnson. I believe if it reads only Hercules and not Hercules Grade then it is a Stevens 94. Otherwise it is a Iver Johnson Champion
Old September 20, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
BigJimP

Hard to tell how old it really is without looking at it - but there are quite a few of them around. I have an old Westerfield 16ga - bolt action been in my family since the 40's and still hanging around in my safe.

A single shot field gun - not worth much except as a novelty probably $20-$50 tops. But if you like it - keep it. You may want to shoot it someday just for the heck of it ( but you may want to have a gunsmith look it over before your fire it too ).
Old September 23, 2007, 05:22 AM   #6
OldShooter

Hercules

I have one of these old Montgomery Ward Hercules single shot break action 12 gage shot guns. It was my first shotgun which I picked up for $65. It was a little dirty and the stock knicked a bit, but it still killed the clay pigeons. Best of all it has an ejector which my much more expensive O/U doesn't have. It's not worth much but it functions perfectly and I don't hunt so I won't be missing any meals due to lack of a second shot. Have fun.
Old September 23, 2007, 07:59 AM   #7
bottom rung

Oldshooter,

I agree with you completely. That ejector is a fine addition to a fine shotgun. I am going to be taking mine to Canada for some bird hunting. Sometimes it is just nice to drop shell in, open the gun, and watch it toss that shell. I am easily amused.
Old September 25, 2007, 04:57 AM   #8
redneckfyrfytr

western

well, the side of the action in the steel says western field. the stock is all hand carved. The gun fires like new and ejects just the same. It's a great gun! I love shooting it. When I got it from my nieghbor he said he got it when he was in his 20's (he's 90 now) and it came from his father who had it for quite some time. I think it says it a model 19.
Old September 25, 2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Davis

As everyone has pointed out, Western Field is the Montgomery Ward house-brand and was probably made by Stevens or Iver-Johnson. Some Hercules were made by H&R, too. In the described condition, it is probably worth $50-$85. The Single-Shot shot gun was the Farmer's tool and while humble, is one of the great staples in firearms.

Davis
Old September 28, 2007, 10:31 PM   #10
redneckfyrfytr

thanks

thanks for the help everyone... it was appreciated