The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

ShurShot Heavy Dove 12gauge 2 3/4" #6 on a BG?

What do ya'll think a 12 gauge Goose Gun loaded with Remington Shur Shot Heavy Dove would do on a intruder in your house. The round is chambered in 2 3/4, with the cartridge producing 1255 FPS, and punching with 1 1/8oz shot #6?

Ideas or views on this round going off on a intruder less than 20yards?
Knowing that buck shot would probably be more effective but if only having this round what do you think the effects of human flesh and skin would be?
On anyone from 7-15yards from you pull of the trigger? The weapon it will be discharging out of is a Marlin model 550 12gauge and I think the barrel is at least 42 inches
Old September 16, 2007, 01:03 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

It would be effective up to 20 feet. Terribly unpleasant at 20 yards.
A 42 inch barrel??
Old September 16, 2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Mr.XD9mm

Haven't measured the Marlin 550 12gauge but its long.

I haven't measured the barrel but I have to say its one of the longest barrels I have seen in a shotgun. With this longer barrel will my patterns be tighter since normally the shorter the barrel the wider the spread?

What kind of trama or wound cavity do you think a round like this is capable of producing?
Old September 16, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Barrel length has little to do with spread. Load quality and choke are major factors.

Probably your goose gun has a 36" barrel.

If close enough, bird shot works, but can we really predict the range of a firefight?

Buy a few five packs of 00, pattern to find the tightest patterning, then buy all you can afford of that.
Old September 16, 2007, 08:31 AM   #5
roy reali

RE:MrXD9mm

Most shotshells are labeled for intended use. Dove loads are just for one thing, doves. Even a cottontail would be unharmed by them. Now if your BG comes in dressed up like a dove, the shot might get confused and actually cause him some harm. Shot isn't too bright you know.
Old September 17, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
ebutler462

Roy, I use dove loads year round. The el cheapos in the promotional packs. Shot size 7.5. They are great for rabbits, quail, dove, a little light for squirrels. Got some #6 promos for them.

Also, beside my bed I have a 20 gauge Nova loaded with #6 el cheapos.

Why do I know that they work? Experience. Not gelatin test, water jugs, or sheetrock penetration. I was a cop for too many years that investigated these type incidents. It didn't always kill a bad guy, but it always stopped him. At 10 yards, a bad guy doesn't stand a chance against a shotgun blast of any kind. He is going down, probably for good.

However you want to load your HD gun is up to you. I feel perfectly safe and confident that my little Nova loaded as stated will keep me from harm.
Old September 17, 2007, 09:33 PM   #7
TheGrouch

With a 42" barrel, wouldn't it be easier just to reach out thump him good on the head?

Number 6 shot sure won't tickle, I go with number 4 for good measure.