How to Accurize the Remington 700

I would like to accurize a Remington 700 VS
What are the most imprtant things to do that get results

BTW it NEEDS a trigger job, I figured that out already

Thanks
Karl
Old September 11, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Scorch

Some of the tricks to do to accurize a Rem 700.
* Blueprint the action
* Install a heavy recoil lug
* Check the chamber, throat and crown for abnormal wear and/or problems.
* Properly glass bed the action and the first 2" of the barrel, free float the rest.
* Trigger job or replace trigger
Taylor Machine
Old September 11, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
tINY

Replacing the cracked recoil lug helped a lot on my Model 7.

-tINY

Old September 11, 2007, 06:29 PM   #4
kingudaroad

There are replacement drop in triggers available that are much easier and safer to adjust than the remington factory trigger. I put one in my VLS myself and I had no gunsmithing experience.

I did need to file away some stock to get the safety to function, but very easy installation.
Old September 12, 2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Picher

The most bang for the buck in accurizing Rem 700s is to adjust the trigger and to pillar-bed the action and a couple of inches up the barrel channel. Also, free-float the barrel if it's not already floating. Make the clearance more like 1/16" than the old dollar-bill test.

The most important things to watch when bedding is to be sure to put tape under and ahead of the recoil plate and to use plenty of release compound.

For beginners, I recommend Acraglas Gel, but there are lots of other good bedding compounds. Read the instructions carefully! If you don't have one, buy a Dremel Moto-Tool and a 1/8" router bit to do the prep.

For most shooters, blueprinting the action is a waste of money!!!!!

Picher
Old September 12, 2007, 08:27 AM   #6
marikhal

First off - why don't you adjust the stock Remington trigger yourself?

Fairly easy to do, and there are plenty of guides that you can follow. Be sure to do the safety checks at the end, though - you don't want any firing pins hitting any primers when you're chambering. :P

I safely adjusted my stock Remington trigger down to 2.5lbs.
Old September 12, 2007, 09:07 AM   #7
gunnie12

I see some smiths will put on a SAKO extractor and a Holland lug – what is the benefit?
Old September 12, 2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Picher

The big benefit to a Sako extractor and a Holland recoil plate is that the gunsmith gets paid for installing them. The benefits are relatively minor and may never be realized by 99% of shooters/hunters.

Competition shooters having a new barrel installed may be easily convinced they need both. The bedding material or aluminum bedding blocks are softer than steel, so why is a thicker plate necessary? Won't the bedding give before the plate? Actually, the custom plates are probably a bit more uniform in thickness, so that may be the best reason to install one when rebarreling and trueing the action.

Picher
Old September 12, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Sako extractors in a Remington (with double ejectors) are for the big calibers in hunting guns and are not necessary for target guns.

Blueprinting really does make a difference, although less so in Remington that in other makes.

Nobody should mess with a remington trigger except a gunsmith. Now you can start your war over that. In the last 10 years, I have never seen a home adjusted remington trigger that was "right"...then again., I reckon only the "failures" come in LOL

Wildineeda700lhactiontootsweetAlaska TM
Old September 12, 2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
First off - why don't you adjust the stock Remington trigger yourself?
Most home hobbyists are not able to recut sears, adjust sear engagement angles, or adjust trigger travel. During the 4 years I was smithing, I saw more Remington triggers adjusted wrong than I care to think of.

Quote:
I safely adjusted my stock Remington trigger down to 2.5lbs
How do you know? When the sear drops while closing the bolt one day, what will the shot hit?

Quote:
I see some smiths will put on a SAKO extractor and a Holland lug – what is the benefit?
Benefits: more engagement on case rim with the Sako extractor. Holland lugs are for stomper rounds. Drawbacks: cost, and IMO this really goes beyond an accurizing job, which was the original question. If you are trying to build a competition rifle, start with a custom action. It's cheaper in the long run.
Taylor Machine
Old September 12, 2007, 03:56 PM   #11
rgitzlaff

I second doing the trigger job yourself. Carefully adjust a couple of screws according to direction, lock it down and you are good to go. You said you have the VS, so that should have the HS precision stock with aluminum bedding block already in it, so the barrel should be floated already. You also won't need to pillar bed it. it might benefit from skim bedding, but that will depend on how well it is shooting already. How good does it shoot right now? Make sure to try a few different loads. If it doesn't shoot well now, take it to a smith to lap the lugs and true up the action and recrown the barrel. If it doesn't shoot after that, then get a new barrel.
Old September 12, 2007, 05:47 PM   #12
TheShootist1894

Remmy VS 700

Yes it is a VS and in 220 Swift
The barrel is completley floated, and these came with no muzzle crown, What was Remington thinkin there???

It does have the very nice Kevlar stock

I only fired 5 rounds through so far at 115 YDS, I rested off the roof of my car so it will likely do better off a proper bench. . .

First round, 3.5 " straight North of POA
Next three, one big hole .33" group
Last one, 4.25" West-Northwest of POA
Hornady 50 GRN V-MAX

I have some 40 grainers somewheres I'll have to try. . .

I think I 'll get it crowned and throw a trigger at it, Timney any good?? Others??
Old September 12, 2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
Next three, one big hole .33" group
Sounds like the muzzle is fine as is.
Taylor Machine
Old September 12, 2007, 06:08 PM   #14
davlandrum

Dang - how accurate is good enough!!!

I don't know if I could shoot a 3 round group at 115 yards that was .33" if I was using a laser!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 12, 2007, 06:21 PM   #15
MeekAndMild

Quote:
For beginners, I recommend Acraglas Gel, but there are lots of other good bedding compounds.
-such as the Miles Gilbert kit. Its less well known but is easy to use and consistent. But IMHO fiberglass bedding a Kevlar stock is redundant. Kevlar doesn't have the adverse movement of wood when the humidity changes.
Old September 12, 2007, 06:23 PM   #16
TheShootist1894

Three outta five??

I want all 5 to go in the same spot. . . maybe I should've fired a fouling shot first?

am I asking too much?
Old September 12, 2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Scorch

If you want them all in the same hole, you should try to avoid shooting over the hood of your car.
Taylor Machine
Old September 12, 2007, 07:01 PM   #18
davlandrum

Quote:
am I asking too much?
Yep....

No seriously, how fast were you shooting - did you warm up the barrel? Off the hood of your car, etc...

If one hole is your goal, go for it! All I know is my Rem SPS (30-06) is as accurate as I will ever be able to shoot, given the lack of range time I have.

Good luck on the quest

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 13, 2007, 10:31 AM   #19
marikhal

Quote:
Most home hobbyists are not able to recut sears, adjust sear engagement angles, or adjust trigger travel. During the 4 years I was smithing, I saw more Remington triggers adjusted wrong than I care to think of.
That's true... I wouldn't call myself an expert, and I may not have done it perfectly, but it's working for me! After working on it for a few hours to find that perfect middle ground, I couldn't get it to engage the sear/dropping the firing pin upon closing the bolt. I checked, and checked, and checked (forcefully slamming the bolt closed, and locking it; setting the safety to safe, pulling the trigger, releasing, setting to fire), and did not get one instance of it prematurely firing.

Quote:
How do you know? When the sear drops while closing the bolt one day, what will the shot hit?
It will hit something down range, for sure. When and if that day comes, I'll be sure to take it to a gunsmith for them to do it right. Thanks for the concern, though - I appreciate it!
Old September 13, 2007, 10:45 AM   #20
DavidJBlythe

the only guys I know that can get all shots in one hole are benchrest shooters. They have purely custom gear to get those small groups! They don't even use common ammo, most use the 6PPC.

So you may be asking too much with a Remington 700... If you want a real laser gun, build a benchrest rifle.
Old September 16, 2007, 10:50 AM   #21
davlandrum

FWIW - I went to the range yesterday with my Rem SPS in 30-06. 3 shot group from a cold barrel (first 3 shot string) at 100 yds could be covered with a quarter. Rifle is absolutley stock out of the box. Not even a trigger adjustment - even though I know it needs one.

Using factory Rem 150 gr Accutips.

Also tried out a new recipe my buddy did for me using 150 Accubonds. I was getting looser groups with it, but by that time I was getting a little sloppy. Will re-test it again when I am fresh (and the range is not 100% full of people running around sighting in for deer season. What a zoo....

I would share the recipe, but don't have it handy and don't want to get it wrong.

Old September 16, 2007, 11:09 AM   #22
Robert M Boren Sr

Do the trigger and bed the stock. I have an 06 I've had for over 30 years the the only thing I had done was the trigger. It shoots almost a one holler at 100 yds. with a 5 shot group. My boys built me a 338 Ultra Mag on my sons 300 win mag mod 700 ADL action. I put a McMillan stock, Lilja 30 inch barrel and it's a one holler at 100 yds. I wanted a long range magnum rifle for years, and we put a lot of thought into this be for we done it. My point is, you can put thousands into getting blueprinted and all that garbage or you can just put in a few bucks to work out the kinks. If you put in a bunch of money, you might as well customize it. Remington's are known for their out of the box accuracy.
Old September 16, 2007, 02:36 PM   #23
Tim R

As others have already said, the Rem trigger can be adjusted.

No crown? The Win 52 target rifle I borrowed this last winter didn't have a crown either.....and it shot very well. I quickly learned why 52's were so popular in the day.

My Rem 308 LTR didn't start shooting well untill 364 rounds had gone down the tube. Anyone could shoot this rifle 1/2 MOA today. I can do a little better if I do my part.

I would not do anything, other than adjust the trigger. Spend some time with it and see what happens.
Old September 16, 2007, 04:30 PM   #24
Picher

Rem Triggers need breaking in before adjusting closely for length of pull. Adjusting it too fine now will cause it to become unsafe inside of 100 rounds.

There are good instructions on the net, so I won't go into that here.

It's okay to adjust the weight of pull and backlash when new. Just make sure you have at least 1/4 screw turn of backlash, otherwise the trigger can wear itself out in short order.

Picher
Old September 16, 2007, 09:07 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...rested off the roof of my car..." Quit doing that if you want to get it sighted in. Far too unstable. Mind you, if you're getting sub-MOA 3 round groups I'd leave it alone and work on the load.
The Rem 700 trigger is fully adjustable. There's no such thing as breaking in a trigger. Go here. http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html