The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Has anyone hunted with a short-barreled SxS "coach gun"?

Just wondering if anyone has hunted this year or in years past with a coach gun. The short barrel would be handy for flushing quail, following darting doves, etc. I think it would be useful as well as nostalgic to hunt with one, but wanted to hear input. What kind and caliber you use in a hunting coach gun? Thanks.
Old September 9, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

P.S. By "coach" gun, I don't mean to exclude internal hammer guns - include anything with a really short barrel - but does have to be a SxS.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:58 AM   #3
45Marlin carbine

yes, I have a Stoeger. right bbl is 'improved cyl' left is modified choke. good upland game or rabbit gun. I don't hunt doves.
Old September 10, 2007, 05:27 AM   #4
gopher0

not yet but to see the reach on my JW 2000
I shot the full side up in a tall pine
Id say a good 50 ft , I think it would make a fuzzy tail getter

Gopher
Old September 10, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Hobie

I have an altered 311 type Stevens which is cyl & cyl and it does well on close flushed grouse and quail. I also have a H&R topper which I cut back but it has a Lyman adjustable choke. No problem for pass shooting dove and such.

Hobie
Shooting With Hobie
Old September 10, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Had a Stoeger---used it on quail and doves----those short barrels really forced you to pick your bird and to concentrate on follow through.
-------Metallica
Old September 10, 2007, 05:12 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

OBG

Quote:
those short barrels really forced you to pick your bird and to concentrate on follow through.
How so? Can you explain why that is - I don't get it.

If it'll help my shooting, then I'm all for it. Yesterday evening, in 2 hrs, 15 minutes, I saw 21 doves, but only 18 while I had my shotgun on me. Of those 18, only 6 came close enough to get a shot at - the rest were very high or very far away. On those 6 (2 pairs of 2, and 2 singles), I expended nine shells (3, 3, 2, and 1), but hit only 2 birds. I was using a Win 1400 in 20 ga, with 2.75" 7.5 shotshells, 7/8th oz of shot, skeet (cylinder bore) choke. I don't think I was leading them enough, aiming well enough, or following through well.
Old September 10, 2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Hedley

I may be shunned by my father and other traditionalists, but I hunted dove last weekend with a 20" Mossberg 500. I darn near had to be on top of them to have a chance. Pretty much skillet-shooting. It was fun though, even though nothing was flying. I got two out of 7 shots. I ended up clearing a good bit of huisache with it instead.