The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1
JGIORD

Para Warthog vs Springfield EMP vs CZ Rami

Preferences? Which do you prefer and why? I'm looking at each of these guns for a possible purchase.

Range by me does not have any model to test fire. I'd like feedback on reliability, feel, accuracy and comparisons to each other from those who have shot them.

Thanks.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
David the Gnome

Para Warthog would be my choice. The Rami is too thick to really be comparable in my opinion.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:21 AM   #3
armoredman

Only compact Springfield I ever fired was the V-10, and it shot it's own front sight off after 50 rounds.
The RAMI is 10+1 9mm DA/SA, the Para is a 10+1 .45 SA, and the Springer is a 9+1 SA, correct?
What are you comfortable with? The RAMI can use extended fit 14 round mags, (shown here), and has a limited selection ofholsters/gear available, but some high quality manufacturers do make leather, High Noon, Galco, etc.

It comes down to which one fits you better, if the Para fits better, and you like 45 a little bit more than 9, go for it. If the Springer fits better, and one less round doesn't bother you, go for it. IftheRAMI fits better, then welcome to the CZ club.
If not, it's OK, this is a big world with lots of choices.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Cremon

Quote:
I'm looking at each of these guns for a possible purchase.
I am looking at the Warthog myself. I posted another thread on the Warthog just now. I am real curious. Looks like it'd make a great CCW plus, it has a 10 round magazine. Not something you often see in a gun that size.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
HilfigerCelica

If money wasn't an issue, then I'd go with the EMP. Since we live in the real world, I bought a CZ Rami. I have 950 rds through it so far. It only jammed three times in the first 100 rds but I think it was due to the reloads. The Rami never fit my hands that well with the factory base plate that came with the 10rd mags so I added Pearce grip extensions from an XD. The Rami feels a lot better and more comfortable with the extension. My only criticism of the gun are the sights. They are hard to see. I'd rather have real night sights than the glow in the dark paint.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
JGIORD

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Para also come in 9mm. This is what I'd be looking for.

I like 9mm, and wasn't too happy with the other .45s I've owned. Especially one is such a small package. I'd think the recoil would be really bad in a .45acp.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:10 AM   #7
armoredman

When I looked at Para's website, before posting, I only saw the Warthog in 45ACP. I do know they make compact 9mm SA autos, as well.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8
SKM&P9

If you look at the Para website under the Hawg series, you'll see the Hawg 9. I believe it's 12+1, and in the 1911 platform. Sharp looking piece too.
Old September 6, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
sholling

JGIORD
Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Para also come in 9mm. This is what I'd be looking for.

I like 9mm, and wasn't too happy with the other .45s I've owned. Especially one is such a small package. I'd think the recoil would be really bad in a .45acp.
I have a Kimber Ultra carry which is an aluminum framed warthog sized 45 and the recoil is very manageable. Not as pleasant as a full-sized 1911 but not bad. 9mm recoil is more of a snap while 45 recoil is more of a push and in an emergency situation I see both having about the same effect on your second shot.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:04 PM   #10
JGIORD

Sholling:
Quote:
I have a Kimber Ultra carry which is an aluminum framed warthog sized 45 and the recoil is very manageable. Not as pleasant as a full-sized 1911 but not bad. 9mm recoil is more of a snap while 45 recoil is more of a push and in an emergency situation I see both having about the same effect on your second shot.
Have you experienced any FTF or FTE in the compact 45? I thought anything below 4" was considered taboo for a .45acp 1911 as they won't function properly and reliably?

As much as I like the 9mm, the .45 does make a nicer whole , I'm just very recoil sensitive. The recoil on my G26 to me is very light and manageable.
Old September 6, 2007, 07:25 PM   #11
glockopop

I looked at all 3 of these guns, and the one I liked the most by far was the EMP. I have relatively short fingers, and the Hawg was too fat and short. I cannot abide a gun that my pinky finger doesn't rest on. One of the inherent good qualities for concealing a 1911 is that it is slim. The Hawg is considerably thicker. The RAMI is not as bad, but it is still a little thick, and I had difficulty working the slide as it nests inside the frame rather than the other way around. The EMP was, as Goldilocks said, just right.

These are all my personal opinions. You should just handle them all like I did and see what you think.
Old September 6, 2007, 07:29 PM   #12
mdell2

I too was looking the Para and the Rami. I like the size of both and today I was at the LGS comparing the two. I like the price of the Rami but I have read that they suffer with many problems and I did not want to end up with a $450.00 paper weight. Maybe the Rami factory will fix the problems and then I again will look at them. I the had to choose between the Warthog in 45 acp and the Hawg 9. The weapons are nearly identical in size and weight and even look the same. I ended up with the 45 ACP as I believe the bigger the hole, the harder they fall. The springfield is just too much money for what you get. Good luck.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:01 PM   #13
chris in va

Don't forget the HK P7 PSP's out there. Looks like decent versions can be had for about $550.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:05 PM   #14
armoredman

The RAMI 40SW had the issues, the RAMI 9mm has no real issues - my wifes runs perfectly.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:51 PM   #15
sholling

Quote:
Have you experienced any FTF or FTE in the compact 45? I thought anything below 4" was considered taboo for a .45acp 1911 as they won't function properly and reliably?
Honestly timing can be an issue. My Ultra Carry was a very early production pistol and yes I had a few FTFs when it was brand new. Right off I traced this issue to the cheapo gun show magazines that I'd purchased as spares. Once I switched to Chip McCormicks the problem just went away. And since it's been broken in (~250rds) I've thrown CMC, Kimber, Colt, and a couple of Colt marked ebay mags that I suspect are Chinese knockoffs at it and it just works flawlessly. I'll be trying out my new Wilson 8rd extended officers length mags on my next trip to the range. I'll feel well armed with 7 plus 1 230gr JHP up the pipe and 2x8rd spares. I also like the fact that should the situation warrant I can light the bad guy up with my Crimson Trace laser grips. No silly bolt on stuff hanging off it.

Ballistic are also going to be an issue with a shorty. 9mm really loves a long barrel. Yes they do well from a 4" but they do better from a 9" SMG barrels etc. The 45 is optimized for 5" and it also gives up velocity with shorter barrels - but the least it will leave is a .45 hole and there are loads that people claim work really well from a 3" barrel. I have Federal 230gr +P Tacticals in mine. These supposedly have done well in tests. Whatever caliper you choose this is something that I strongly suggest you research first.

I'll be honest. To me the perfect compromise is a 4" (for added velocity) 1911 in 45acp with a short officers sized aluminum (steel if you're recoil shy) frame loaded with Speer 230gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:21 PM   #16
DGindlesperger

Go with the worthog, 10+1
Old September 7, 2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Rinspeed

If you consider accuracy and reliability important I'd take the Sig 239 over any of them.
Old September 7, 2007, 06:02 PM   #18
stevekolt

I have a Hawg 9. Love the compact 1911 type frame with the double stack 9mm mags. As far as the grip, it is thicker than any of my Kimbers, but the addition of the the extended magazine base plate gives you a place for your pinky also, so it is different than when shooting it with the flat base. Mine is reliable and fun to shoot.
Old September 7, 2007, 08:08 PM   #19
DGindlesperger

"If you consider accuracy and reliability important I'd take the Sig 239 over any of them."

If you concider what you wrote, you mind rethink it. I understand opinions and you should state that is your opinion. I've shot alot of different guns and find personally that the factory trigger drawn on a sig is to long. I've seen people that will say they hate kimbers, but my 3" pro carry II has never let me down and at 20 yard I can double tap center body every time. Different guns fit different people better and the 2 choice given are great options. Since Sig was not one of the choices I don't understand why you would put that out other than to push your personal choice on someone. Just my 2 cents.