The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 8, 2007, 06:42 PM   #26
R1145

Force options

I think pepper spray (OC) is a reasonable option in many circumstances. I don't know about "bear spray".

Just know that when you deploy it indoors, you're also going to get contaminated. Be ready.

Also, OC doesn't work as well on people inured to pain (drunk, stoned, etc.).

Better than nothing, but in most situations that would truly warrant use of lethal force, you're better off with a firearm.

Use of pepper spray, etc., when not justified for self-defense is a felony here in California. When justified, it is considered a relatively low level of force (which is good, if sufficient to counter the threat).
Old September 9, 2007, 10:32 AM   #27
3 weelin geezer

Forget all the bear sprays and guns if you think its the neighbor's kid trying to sneak in to scare the pants off you. Find out if its really a threat and if its the kid, sneak out the back with a devil mask or something (holloween is not far off guys) trickle some cold hose water down his back and scare him till he carps his pants and gets perpetual hiccups! That will teach him! Anyone ever watch "Courage, the cowardly dog"? If you have, you know what I mean.
Old September 9, 2007, 02:43 PM   #28
gak1

Regular pepper spray didn't seem to phase this kid: (nsfw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCwH2z_lrSw

I'd be hesitant to spray, then wait to see if it was enough force. If you need to defend yourself, use something that has a better chance of working, imo.