The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
bulbboy

Help me find out more about this revolver!!!

Its a 5 shot revolver from Hopkins & Allen. I'm hoping to find out approximate date.

Here is what it says on top - I couldn't find any serial numbers on it.

HOPKINS & ALLEN MFG CO
PAT. MAR. 28. 71 JAN. 5. 88

X.L. DOUBLE ACTION
38 CAL. CENTRE FIRE

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old August 28, 2007, 12:42 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Probably manufactured between 1888 (patent date) and 1898 when the company was reorganized and the name changed slightly. I believe that barrel markings changed at that time.

It's chambered for black powder .38 Smith & Wesson ammunition. Probably best not to shoot it at all. It was an inexpensive gun back then, and the materials haven't gotten better with time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Hammer It

Hello
I waould adhere to Mike's advice here on not shooting that revolver. Hopkins & Alan made many different small frame revolver's back then, But sadly most were for Black Powder cartridges and they would Not take the Pressures of Smokless Powder rounds due to not have the cylinder's Heat treated like Later made revolvers Intended for Smokless Powder. Cylinder Burst may very well be the Outcome of attempting to fire smokless Powder rounds in it. I would hang it on a wall or place it in a Glass case for Looking Pleasure if it were mine. Regards, Hammer It
Old August 28, 2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wouldn't be very worried about a cylinder burst. Most of these guns were made largely out of ductile wrought iron.

Wrought iron isn't know for tossing fragments around when it bursts. It stretches and splits.

Stretching is actually a bigger issue -- stretching of the frame to the point where the gun goes completely out of time and alignment.

Old August 28, 2007, 09:23 AM   #5
pesta2

Hey don’t knock those guns, they are great for holding down papers to keep them from blowing away on a windy day or holding your door open.

Seriously though, a guy gave me one similar to this one to look over for him one day, wanted to know what it was worth and caliber. He traded a truck door for it. It was a .38 S&W. The hammer would not move at all, had a home made grip panel on one side. I looked it up in the Blue Book and it was worth $25 in working condition. I told him it was not worth fixing, that parts would cost more than the gun.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Gbro

I have it pictured in a Montgomery Wards & Co. 1895 Catalogue No. 57

(this is the exact print from the catalogue)

XL Double Action
"The H & A Double Action, Self-Cocking Revolver.
nickel plated, rubber stocks, finly finished, accurate
and reliable, rifled barrels: a good one: 16 oz. weight.
47087 32 Caliber, 3 inches, using No. 47188 cartridge. Price.....$2.30
47088 38 Caliber, 3 inches. using No. 47194 cartridge. Price.....$2.30

The next add down is for a H & A XL Double action With Folding Hammer.

It states in that add; Using Smith & Wesson's 38 caliber cartridge.
(Winchester catalog lists this cartridge; Primer 1 1/2W 145 gr lead bullet 14 grains of BP (?f))
Also if you want it mailed to you add 20 cents.(That is if you are not a minor from the state of Illinois)!

The value today for one in 100% condition is about $150.00

Last edited by Gbro; August 28, 2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: ad cartridge info
Old August 28, 2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Tom2

Some guy is always bringing a pile of guns that look like that to the local show, little nickeled inexpensive IJ or H&A types. Many have most of the finish on the outside but most are brown and crusty in the bore and chambers. I have a blued breaktop H&A .32 though, that was made for smokeless and looks unfired, tight as a vault. Got a box of ammo and one day will fire it. Have a couple of 19th century little revolvers, including a perfect unfired 22 but don't want to try shooting them. Little guns like that, at least stick to ones that are in near perfect condx. and smokeless era if you want to test fire.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"14 grains of BP (?f))"

Probably 3F.