The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old August 17, 2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Froglegs

Moving to Michigan, Gun Law Questions

I will be pulling up stakes and moving to Michigan in a few weeks and a quick look at the gun laws left me with a few questions...

What's the deal with the "safety inspections" and having to register my handguns?

How long do I have to live in MI before I can apply for a carry permit?

How long will I be able to coast by on my Indiana carry permit (MI has reciprocity)? I'm going to be starting law school this fall so the state will be in no hurry to give me resident status ($$$).

My main worry is that these registration, inspection, and licensing requirements are going to be some sort of gargantuan red-tape nightmare. I've lived in Illinois before so I know a thing or three about that sort of thing...
Old August 17, 2007, 03:29 AM   #2
Manedwolf

Probably the best place to check is packing.org if it's up... they have a lot on the per-state laws.

As for MI, I think all those laws only apply unless you live in Dearbonistan and are a member of Hezbollah. Then you can own hidden Class III without a license.
Old August 17, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
EBuff75

Assuming that it's the same registration process you go through when you purchase a handgun, it's no big deal (at least it wasn't in my city). It's basically just some paperwork to fill out so that the gun is registered. The "inspection" was done by the officer at the front desk who was mostly just checking to make sure that the gun was unloaded. The registration paperwork was filed by a clerk while I waited and chatted with her.
Old August 17, 2007, 08:05 AM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

The TFL Library has links to many websites that can answer your questions.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 17, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
rcupka

Check out www.mcrgo.org This is the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners.

The Safety inspection isn't much of an inspection it is really just a registration.
If you are not a CCW holder you need to go to the local sheriff or police station to get a "Permit to Purchase" This is a ten question "Test" and $6 after you by the firearm you take it back ofr the "Inspection" If you have a CCW you can purchase without have to go to the Sheriffs first, but you still have to take the gun in for the inspection. A little hassle but not too bad. CCw is $105, a class and about a 4 week wait.

Welcome to MI, which part of the state are you headed to? If you are in the Ann Arbor, Area I can suggest a few places to shoot.
Old August 17, 2007, 10:21 PM   #6
nass

Welcome to the great mitten.

The 10 question test in Livingston county is free. My Sheriff's office clerks know me by sight now.

The procedure for buying a handgun in MI is to get a purchase permit from the local police or sheriff (unless you have a CCW), purchase the gun, take it back to the police and sheriff for review and registration paperwork.

The only thing with all of this, is that you may not be able to purchase here in MI due to your residency status. Hard to say without checking first. Livingston County Sheriff's office # is 517-546-2440.

If you need more, feel free to hollar. I'm close to the Ann Arbor area, but shoot mostly just south of Flint (Linden Sportsman's Club).
Old August 18, 2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Froglegs

Thanks for the help, guys.

I will be broke as hell for the foreseeable future so not being able to buy a gun until I get residency is not really a problem. What's the deal with registering my pistols once I move into the state?

Do I just show up at the police station with duffel-bags of guns to be inspected and registered? Or do I have to do paperwork and such first?

I've got a bad back and a lot of guns so I don't want to haul everything around more than needed.