The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 14, 2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

replica antique rifle scopes...

so along with my 17 AH Martini rifle project... I'm looking for a decient replica rifle scope to mount on the gun... I've found only really one brand so far ( Wm Malcom brand ), I know I have a few Uniertals ( spelling ) on a few rifles that are crated up in my collection...

anyone have any expirience with period looking replica scopes ??? ( I originally thought about a "real antique" but now I'm thinking a replica might be better on a rifle I intend to shoot )

this is what I'm looking at... ( these are pics off the sellers website, not my rifles )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCA_Scop_Long.jpg (26.0 KB, 5550 views)
File Type: jpg BCA_Scop_left_bolt_mount.jpg (36.5 KB, 5465 views)
File Type: jpg BCA_Scop_Stevens_lg.jpg (42.1 KB, 5502 views)
Old August 14, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Jim Watson

If you don't mind paying for it, the MVA is well established in BPCR and is made in the USA instead of Communist China.
http://www.montanavintagearms.com/mva_scope.html

There are also period style scopes made by RHO and Parsons.
Old August 14, 2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thank you sir...

thats just what I was looking for... ( though you are correct, they are pretty "high end" )

any others available ???

did a search, & couldn't find a good website for the other 2 listed...

going to try Lyman, as I heard they had some...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 14, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 14, 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

WOW...

after looking, I might just decide on some "period" long range target sights...

... I've seen the modern precisions sights, but I was pretty impressed with some of the antique / replica target sights I found when searching for scopes... bubble levels in globe front sights, some of the better tang mount rear sights also caught my eye... they are not necessarily cheaper than the scopes...

you guys that have shot those type of sights have any suggestions there ??? I've never shot those type of sights, are any of the particular styles any easier to shoot well, than others ???
Old December 1, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5
longrangebob

Replica Malcomb???

Sorry to be so late Try RHO Instruments of Point Roberts Washington ... I have one on my 1885 HiWall and love it .... LRB
Old December 1, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the link...
Old December 1, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Loader9

While yer lookin', take a look at the Leatherwood Malcolm style scopes. Jim died a couple of years back but the guy that has taken it over is an extremely great guy. You have issues with a Leatherwood scope and it's replaced- yeah, it's just that simple. They are proud of the scopes built for Leatherwood. FWIW, Jim Leatherwood was the guy that invented the CamART scope for the military for use in Viet Nam. He was a sniper in the military. The CamART is still being used today by the military but on a limited basis.
http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.ph...d=37&Itemid=52
Old December 1, 2008, 12:38 PM   #8
j.chappell

I used one of the Wm Malcom 6x's on my high wall in 45-70 for about a year. The scope has of great quality, I really liked the fine crosshair, and the adjustments worked well. I did have to add the Heavy Duty Recoil Tube Locking Collar as the recoil of the 45-70 was simply too much for the standard hardware. After that addition I had zero problems with the setup.

I did tire of the added bulk and ackwardness and reverted back to irons. After shooting with a globe and tang I doubt that I would ever go back to optics on that type of firearm again.

J.
Old December 1, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... I ended up using a Unerl... but I did hear a few bad things about the Malcolm mounts... supposedly not heat treated, & not easily adjustable for varrying distances...

here is my rifle mid project ( the wood & the metal is yet unfinished, as is the adjustable steel butt plate... but this as to be a winter project, & we finally got snow... but my buddy is still looking for mounts for an old Navy arms brass scope he has

Old December 20, 2008, 08:46 AM   #10
sanfordandsons

Antique scoped Sprinfield carbine 45-70.

Here are some photos of a scoped 1873 Springfield trapdoor 45-70. I made the mount which rotates to allow loading and unloading the gun. Hope you like the photos. Click on the link to see photos with demo.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=b3908aec.pbw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z 2455.jpg (233.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by sanfordandsons; December 20, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old December 20, 2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

Whoa... SANFORD... is that a Weaver 1X ??? I have one here that I'm repairing the cross hair on, & I've not found anyone that knows anything about them... even Parsons Scope Repair hadn't ever seen one...
Old December 20, 2008, 04:52 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Great work SanfordandSons. Did you consider a side mount ala Davidson scope mount?
Old December 20, 2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Neat work, sanford. Somewhat reminds me of the mount I saw pictured for a Winchester Model 71. It was on a cam track connected to the bolt and moved itself out of the way to clear the ejected case as you swung the lever.

The mounts shown on the Leatherwood short tube scope on the Stevens rifle are very like the old Stevens scope mounts. They might work for one of those brass tube novelties if the diameter is the same.
Looks like they would mount to Unertl bases and not just those no-gunsmithing Chinese Circus things Leatherwood sells. Hmm. I HAVE a rifle d&t for Unertl or Lyman blocks. Maybe two. Or three. Four?