The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 12, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1
workinwifdakids

Human Weapon

http://www.history.com/minisites/humanweapon

The History Channel is airing a show called Human Weapon. Each episode, the two hosts travel to a different part of the world, intensively train in that region's martial art for five days, and then spar/fight with a master of that art. I've learned several useful ideas already relating to knees and elbows.

I believe it fits with this Forum, but of course the mods are the final word.

<OMG, here comes the delete button!>
Old August 12, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Josh Smith

I watch and enjoy it.

I've not trained formally with others for more than 10 years now, unless you want to count teaching an occasional student. It's good to see some of the stuff that I've forgotten, and I enjoy the history in each show as well.

Josh <><
Old August 15, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
jhgreasemonkey

That is a very interesting show.
Old August 15, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Creature

Interesting show.Worth a look...definitely.
Old August 16, 2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Jim March

The last show on Savate had one move that looked damned interesting to me: when a guy is closing on you, kick him on the low thigh right above the knee. Hard enough and you might dislocate his kneecap but regardless, you tend to "make space" between you and the assailant pretty damned fast. Good way to keep a knifer off you just long enough to finish a draw.
Old August 16, 2007, 07:35 PM   #6
VA9mm

When they went to Thailand and saw the Muy-Tai I didn't realize the elbows were such good strikers. French fighting isn't that a oxymoron .
Old August 16, 2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Jim March

Oh, the elbow is downright brutal.

There's several of the "full contact competitions" that ban them, along with eye-gouging and nut-shots .
Old August 17, 2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Hornett

Quote:
French fighting isn't that a oxymoron
LOL
+1
Old August 17, 2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Zombie_protectionInc

I think that it is an awesome show. Anybody into martial arts can appreciate I am sure.
Old August 17, 2007, 09:54 AM   #10
nate45

Quote:
along with eye-gouging and nut-shots
If you can't use guns, knifes, finger drives to the eyes or testicular crushing it's just a game.
Old August 18, 2007, 12:45 AM   #11
SatanzBountyHunter

I think that show is pretty good and you have to give the guys credit for having the coconuts to get in there against the masters.
Old August 25, 2007, 08:16 PM   #12
billybybose

savate

Im with Jim on the savate show.I started using that kick to the high thigh\hip in sparring and it worked every time.It creates distance and gives the other guy something to think about when they try to close the gap.Im now practicing it with fast draw from iwb.Its almost embarassing learning something from the french,but it works
Old August 25, 2007, 08:38 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...French fighting isn't that a oxymoron..." Glib. Ask the Maquis and other Resistance fighters tortured to death by the Nazi's, French 2nd Armoured Div who served with the U.S. Third Army, the WHOLE generation killed in W.W. I, the 9,000 troopies in the Force d’Action Rapide(Gulf War), the French Special Forces who served in Afghanistan, etc, etc.
Old August 28, 2007, 02:41 PM   #14
seeker_two

...and, don't forget, France was considered the premiere land-based military force in the world from the the Norman Invasion of England up through Napoleon until the end of WWI. After that (and the massive casualties they suffered), the French adopted the "peace at any cost" view that created the Vichy collaboration and the downfall in Algeria & French Indochina.

History proves that the French were some tough little baguettes....
Old August 29, 2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Jim March

Well the "Pankration" show was...well...yeah...

Somebody dug up some 3,000 year old pottery and just happened to find cage matches like on Spike TV. No word on whether or not they found Joe Rogan's umpteenth-great-ancestor...

The funniest part was when they mentioned eye-gouging and nut-whacking - and how the Spartans boycotted the Olympics for banning same . THAT I can believe.

(Obligatory: THIS...IS...SPAAAARTAAA! [WHAM] <oww Gods you maniac!>)

The rest...eh...maybe.
Old August 29, 2007, 05:08 PM   #16
porkskin

It is still fun to say "rifle-droppers". I mean we as Americans are called alot worse by several of our Euro-friends. No disrespect is meant to the French soldiers who gave their lives at war.
Old August 29, 2007, 10:15 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

Jim,

What I could not understand is if the Spartans boycotted the Olympics cause no eye gouging, then how come they didn't allow punching to the head? After all, punching to the head is sisy compaired to eye gouging!

Now the Greek who nailed Bill with the roundhouse. That was really a turn kick (used in Tang So Do) were you bring up your kicking leg like a snap kick, then rotate the hips into a roundhouse kick. It is very sneeky and usually the defender trys to block for a snap kick and is nailed in the head with a roundhouse (as was done to Bill!)

But really, while it was good training and good fighting, I didn't see anything unique with what they did.
Old August 30, 2007, 09:31 AM   #18
Creature

This week they are "investigating" Krav Maga...which is the Israeli h2h fighting system. Looks interesting.
Old September 1, 2007, 11:37 AM   #19
SatanzBountyHunter

The Krav Maga show was really worth watching. Watching the Israeli commandos practicing it in their secret training site gave it a lot of credibility. Looks like a good system to defend against multiple attackers.
Old September 1, 2007, 12:18 PM   #20
Creature

I did some quick research on Krav Maga (I knew ZERO about it...until I saw this episode). The basic premises and guiding principles seem to be:

* Neutralize the threat
* Avoid injury
* Go from defending to attacking as quickly as possible
* Use the body's natural reflexes
* Strike at any vulnerable point
* Use any tool or object nearby
* You're not going to care how much damage you're going to cause.
* Cause as much damage as possible and run.
* Do not try and prolong a fight. Do what needs to be done and escape.

Pretty much a "berserker" style of hand-to-hand combat. I found it very interesting...
Old September 1, 2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Creature

Quote:
I mean we as Americans are called alot worse by several of our Euro-friends.
Huh...that go my curiosity up!
Old September 1, 2007, 09:47 PM   #22
Jim March

Deaf Smith: they said at the beginning that when they re-created this stuff in modern times, they put some "safety rules" in. Kind of understandable.

The Krav Maga show was the best yet, I think.

What I'm waiting for is to see Bill in a set of Sumo diapers . Orr...hmmm...maybe not .

What'll be a hoot is to see these guys try Capoeira. Or if they can find a legit source, go back to it's African roots...
Old September 3, 2007, 03:39 PM   #23
seeker_two

Quote:
What I'm waiting for is to see Bill in a set of Sumo diapers
Different strokes for different folks, I guess....

Have the Krav Maga taped & hope to watch it this week. I can't wait to see the USMC fighting style episode. I've re-reading my copy of "Combatives", and it is a good source for practical fighting moves for average joes....
Old September 3, 2007, 07:58 PM   #24
Deaf Smith

was impressed with the Krav Maga portion of the Human Weapon.

First the instructors. All ex-military or still military. The older ones had some of their family killed by the Nazis and even fought in that war. Very no nonsense. Also some were black belts in other arts (which is not supprising as it takes most of what they do from other arts.)

Notice Bill and Jason got stabbed to shreads the first time they tried to see what they could do.

The tools:

The kicks (not many of them used) were of Shotokan/TKD/TSD. I did see a few roundhouses and one backkick done in the classes.

The knees looked like Muay Thai, so did the elbows.

The punches. Some of the hands look like Shotokan while others are boxing (I liked the palm strike to the side of the face near the nose and I think it was Kempo.)

The blocks were most surely some traditional karate.

But notice the blocks and strikes done together were of JKD (called 'one timeing' or such by Bruce Lee.)

The teciniques: Basicly it was repetiton of basic punches, blocks, and kicks with emphasas on punches and blocks. Being for war wearing combat gear fancy kicks would be a bad idea. They even talked about how many times they could not kick cause they were so cloase and no room. Good combinations that have been drilled and drilled into the students head, that and aggression is what their techniques are all about.

Now the tactics: Notice they said to MOVE. Move and keep moving and not to stand still. Also the emphasas on agression. The mob training to force you to fight hard was also good (and keep fighting.. remember the student that was kicked in the balls and he tried to stop, and the instructor told him not to quit and keep fighting.)

The gun disarm was simple and good. No nosense. Notice a fine point to the technique, as you twist the hips and deflect the gun you pull the BG to get them off balance before you rip the gun from their hand.

I was also impressed with their full combat gear jog through a Hogans Ally with guys who had duffle bags to attack them with. True it was not 'tactical' but then it as more of an exercise to get used to being scared and still functioning.

And then the sparring match. Jason, being mobbed by guns, knives, hands, feet... well he was impressive. He was stabbed twice (three times and it stops) but he did very well.. although going to ground like he did would have allowed the others to mob him if the instructor had told them to attack while he was doing this thing on the ground.

Fortunatly, I recorded this one and I will watch it seveal times. There was much to learn from what they talked about.

Is is by far the best one they have shown. And Krav Maga is no BS. I sure wish I could go to Israel and train at those same places.
Old September 9, 2007, 10:51 AM   #25
3 weelin geezer

Quote:
Deaf Smith

Is is by far the best one they have shown. And Krav Maga is no BS. I sure wish I could go to Israel and train at those same places.

I am sure you can find it 'here' too. No need to go there to train. Most that do, its because they have other intentions in mind like the ones that go to afganistan to train for a holy war (gotta love the Gods!) they have been brainwashed into believing in. Even if you are not a looney, some may see it like that if they know.

Fun to watch but I missed that episode of Krav Maga. Seemed real interesting on the trailers.