The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
greenman

SIG 226, Frame/Slide clearance

I Just bought my first SIG a 226 and had read a lot about how tight they were, sometimes to a fault causing problems when dirty. I have about .020" vertical play between the slide and the frame at the muzzle end. Barrel to slide is tight and horizontal play on slide to frame is non existent. I took the gun out to the range and fired about 50 rounds through it and was unimpressed with accuracy.This surprised me as I have read a lot about the inherent accuracy of the 226. I wasn't firing from a rest and suspect my lack of familiarity with the gun and it's feel was probably the biggest factor, not really a fair test I know. I have several 1911's and none of them have play like the SIG. Is this amount of play normal for a SIG? Should I return it to the factory, or persevere in breaking it in. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 11, 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
pogo2

Try firing from a rest

As you point out, your lack of familiarity with the gun might account for the observed inaccuracy. Try firing it from a rest, which should test the gun's accuracy rather than the shooter's.
Old August 11, 2007, 09:24 AM   #3
bbrian

My 226 is very tight

I have a Sig P226 (Stainless, .40 Cal) and the gun is very tight. In fact, I was a little worried shooting it for the first time because there was no play in the slide. Or I should say, compared to my BHP, and other autos I’ve fired there seemed to be a noticeable lack of play.

I don’t have much experience shooting, but I can get nice grouping with the Sig – better than my BHP, Beretta 92FS, and Colt National Match. The only gun I can group tighter is my Colt Python.

If the gun seems to have too much play, go to the dealer and compare it to others he has in stock. If the amount of play seems to be the same, it is probably the shooter – hate to say it.
Old August 11, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4
enikkor

I have a 226R 9mm and I also have a 1911 9mm STI.
These guns are apples and oranges.
I had an initial hard time with consistency with the 226. Not the fault of
the gun. The high bore axis is harder on bullseye shooting than the 1911.
After several hundred rounds, my shots are better with the 226 but it
does not match the feel and the accuracy of my 1911 for bullseye.

I finally made the conclusion, the 226 is a "service" pistol" for self defense
and not for BEye!! The other is. I felt better about it and I use the 226
mainly as a defense training pistol.
Old August 12, 2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Destructo6

My old "made in W. Germany" P226 is as loose as goose, slide-wise. It's also very accurate and perfectly reliable.

What sort of accuracy are you looking for?

Keep all of them clean.
Old August 12, 2007, 05:27 PM   #6
greenman

226 accuracy issue

Thanks for all the advice. I took the gun out to the range today and put another 300 rounds through it. I finally figured out that I needed to stop holding the SIG as though it was a 1911. Once I figured that out things improved remarkably. The grip technique is so different. I was forced to change it because my "1911 thumb on the safety" style caused the gun to fail to lock back after the last round. When I finally got used to crossing right thumb over left and left thumb along the frame things fell into place and grouped nice and tight compared to my 1911 which I shot also today as a comparison. I am still more fluid with the 1911, it seems to point faster, but maybe I am just more used to it. I think I have quit worrying about the slide to frame fit as it is clear from today that the gun is capable of shooting better than me. I think if I stick with the practice I can pick up the speed, it really has been like starting to shoot all over again. The gun is a .40 caliber and although it handles the recoil really well it is definately has a sharper kick than the .45 ACP which I am used to shooting. Thanks again for the tips and advice.
Old August 13, 2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Rinspeed

Dry fire it 3000-4000 times and call me in the morning.
Old August 15, 2007, 05:50 PM   #8
dgludwig

I prefer shooting any semi-auto with my right thumb along side the frame and my left thumb over top of it to prevent the right thumb from contacting slide release levers inadvertently. Because I shoot a lot of different semi-auto designs, I try to keep the same hold for all of them so as to avoid confusion between types. Left thumb over right works best for me even with a 1911.