The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Maximus856

Pictures of the Maverick

...Threw the barrel on the bandsaw (20"), and ordered an ATI side folder. Only complaint is the stock kinda gets in the way of the slide, but oh well.

Not bad for about $190 in the gun with the gun included

-Max
Old August 10, 2007, 09:48 PM   #2
wolverine350

Mavericks are a workhorse of a gun for the money
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old August 11, 2007, 12:54 AM   #3
RevolverLover

Quote:
Mavericks are a workhorse of a gun for the money
I agree, Mavericks are a great shotgun for the money.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old August 13, 2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Red Tornado

I hope this isn't a home defense gun. If the stock "kinda" gets in the way of the slide, that's a major critical error for an HD gun. If you're just playing on the range, no biggie, have fun.
RT
Old August 13, 2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Maximus856

Not really a HD gun, but I'll use it if I have too. I look at all of my guns as HD tools, heh. I'm gunna see if I can tool up a little stop or something to keep it from folding in so much.

-Max.
Old August 16, 2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Wrascal

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a Mav 88 ($165 Walmart), but wanted a shorter barrel than they carry.

Question: how hard is it to cut by hand (hack saw)? I don't care about scratching the finish or chokes.

I've often wanted to ask this question. Thanks.
Old August 16, 2007, 09:14 PM   #7
bigghoss

I had one of those ati folders on my mossberg. they look wicked cool but they are peices of $***. I have two fixed rifle stocks from ati and they're alright but I don't trust any ati stock with more than part to it. also kinda hurts to shoot folded. mine came with a synthetic stock so I just put my buttstock back on, and just for fun I got a speedfeed pistol grip. they look way really good and it's alot nicer to shoot.
Old August 20, 2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Maximus856

Hey wrascal, I haven't cut any barrels by hand so I can't really tell you. My other hobby is metal work (or was when I had time and money), so I used my vertical bandsaw. Clamps in, let the blade down, step away and watch it work. I'm sure with a careful hand and a good eye you could get a nice cut with a hacksaw...
Old August 20, 2007, 08:36 PM   #9
rugerdude

I once cut through a steel pipe that was used as a (crappy) weight bar (it was hollow and the dimensions were very simmilar to a shotgun barrel i.e. wall thickness and bar width.) and it took my father and myself about 20 minutes to cut through it. However, we didn't actually have a saw, just a blade that we wrapped tape around on one end, so I'm sure it won't be too hard with an actual hack saw.

Not my quote but I agree completely.