The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 4, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
cajuncutter

How to store nickel plated gun?

Today I purchased a S&W 19 nickle. I was so excited when I made the purchase I can not remember what they guy told me when he suggested what to keep it in. I am unfamilliar with nickle guns. I just remember something about flaking etc. So should I keep it in a holster(leather) or one of the soft zip up carrying cases?
Caj
Old August 4, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Shaun

i had a nickel model 19, that i gave to my brother, and i stored that just like i store all my guns. I would wipe the gun down to remove any fingerprints or hand oil, then wrap it lightly in a cotton t-shirt, then place it in a foam lined hard case, then into the safe. Unless i dont care about its finish, i never keep a gun in the holster. The 19 was of early 70s vintage and in the time i had it it never flaked or lost any of its shine.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old August 4, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Ralph Allen

I have a Colt Trooper MKIII 6in 357 that was a first wedding aniversary present from my wife of now 29 years. I too, keep it wiped down and wrapped in a cotton rag. Beautiful gun and a fabulous shooter!
Ralph
Old August 4, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4
DeathRodent

By a product named Borestore.

Do a search of most gun product websights or go to a gunshow and they should have it.

Its grey in color and the insdie looks like fake sheepskin, supposedly it wicks away moisture and it definetly cushions the gun.

They run about $7 and come in a few sizes for handguns and longguns
Old August 5, 2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

I nickel plate guns.
Clean the gun, oil it, wipe it off, and store it in a dry place.
DON'T store it in a holster or a sealed hard case-especially one with foam in it.
Wrapping it loosely in a cotton cloth is OK.
Nickel is not a fragile finish, but it should be kept lightly oiled, and dry. Leather tanning acids can react with plating or bluing.
Foam lined hard cases can degrade or hold moisture. They are for transporting guns, not storage.
Ammoniated cleaners like Hoppe's #9 can possibly cause problems if they are not removed with a dry patch and the gun oiled afterwards.
Old August 5, 2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Harry Callahan

I bought my S&W Model 439 back in '85 and all I've done is keep it oiled, wipe it down with a silicone cloth, and keep it wrapped in the original paper it came in which takes care of moisture. Looks just like the day I bought it.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old August 5, 2007, 06:40 PM   #7
CU74

Clean it, wipe down with Breakfree CLP, go over it with a clean cotton cloth, put in a BoreStore.
Old August 5, 2007, 07:53 PM   #8
pistolet1

Always be very careful when using Hoppe's #9 around any nickel or bright chrome plated gun. The reason being is that a gun must first be plated with copper as the nickel or chrome will not plate directly to the metal surface. Since Hoppe's is a copper solvent, any remaining solvent on the gun, or that transfers into the material you wrap the gun in, (I prefer to use silicone cloth rags), may attack the copper plating under the nickel plate and cause it to flake off.
Old August 6, 2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Samuel2001

Cajuncutter, I personaly do not use silicone cloths or Hoppe's on my nickel plated roscoes. Like Pistolet1 said about Hoppe's, be very carefull with the stuff!
And well if for one reason or another the factory did'nt do the best of nickel jobs the silicone from silicone cloths can get under the nickel and cause it to flake. I know alot of the products out there have some amount of silicone, but the cloths are just saturated with the stuff! I saw how it flaked the nickel off an old S&W 36, since then I avoid the silicone rags on nickel plated guns.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old August 6, 2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Hoppes MIGHT affect plating, if left on the gun for long periods. Silicone won't affect it. Something else must have caused that. If corrosion starts in a small scratch or ding in the plating, it can spread under the plating-caising flaking.