The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 4, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Rembrandt

Ground blinds now need orange in Iowa

New regulation for 2007-2008 in Iowa. Shotgun hunters are required to put a 12"X12" piece of hunter orange on their ground blind and visible from any direction. No distinction between between permanent or portable ground blinds. Maybe we should just run up a hunter orange flag on a pole. Can't say I've ever seen a ground blind offered with orange panels, but maybe they're out there.

Usually these things are a result of an incident....can't help but wonder about the story behind this one.
Old August 4, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Trapp

That flagpole idea sounds pretty good. You might want to make an orange "box" though. It would prevent it from waving in the wind (possibly spooking some deer)

On my lease, due to designated hunting areas we aren't required (by the lease) to wear any orange. I am pretty sure by state law we don't have to either (being private property).
Old August 4, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
dustoff

Having orange on is always a good idea and I think orange on ground blinds can't hurt it may even prevent someone from firing in your direction.
Old August 4, 2007, 01:19 PM   #4
prime8

Just for deer season

You almost have to have an orange flag, if guys are doing drives around you.
I hunt alot of public land, and have thought seriously about putting orange on my ground blinds. I feel safest in a tree, above all the posters, and drivers.
Ive seen a orange rain flap that goes over the top of the blind. That would work. If your hunting your land, or have exclusive rights to hunt a property, this rule may look different. To me, I see it as a good idea. JMO