The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 2, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
benellim4

long range, range finding, auto elevation adjustment scopes?!?!?!?!??!

im looking for a scope that has a built in range finder, and also changes elevation when distance is increased or decreased!

if anyone has anything on this please share!!!

thanks
Old August 2, 2007, 01:01 AM   #2
RedneckFur

The mil-dot reticle has a built in way of correcting elevation, but as far as a scope that makes adjustments all by its lonesome, I dont think anything like that exsists. If it does, I'm not aware of it.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
kkb

There are the Leatherwood scopes but I counsel against them.

I rate the optics as fair. OK but not great.

Specks of dust are getting onto the reticle, something they specifically exclude from their warranty. (Either they didn't clean the tube well or interior paint is flaking)

Accuracy throughout it's range is about 2MOA according to their manual.

The pins used to secure to a weaver mount fell out. Since they're just used to provide screw down tension points it doesn't effect mounting, just never seen that happen before - seems a bit tacky.

The cam rides on some sort of nylon/plastic button. Seems like this is a wear point that may need to be replaced at some point in time. Also, if crud gets onto the cam, which is exposed, its going to mess up the auto-elevation feature.

This was with their M600 scope (200-600 meters).
Old August 2, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
jmorris

I too have a leatherwood scope I’ve had it for many years but have not used it. It feels like it’s not of the best quality, and optics are so-so. It has a gear system that allows it to be adjusted for many different calibers and adjusts out to 600yds. I also have a Sheppard scope that is of much better quality (must be why it costs twice as much), it ranges/compensates for bullet drop out to 1000yds and is much quicker (hands free) to use. Another unique feature is that it has two reticles; one in the first focal plane and another in the second, this allows you to sight in your rifle in only one shot (very nice feature). The drawbacks, you have to buy the scope made for a specific trajectory, you can’t take it off your 22-250 and put it on your 45-70. The only other thing I don’t like is the system, while it does work, makes the view through the scope look a little busy. If you are for MOA accuracy (rather than hunting) at distances a Leopold M4 is hard to beat for the price (but it’s twice as much as the Sheppard).
Old August 2, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Bushnell has a rifle scope with built in laser range finder. You have to have selected the right graduated elevation knob and set the elevation with it, though.

Elcan has a digital rifle scope that records your trajectory. But you have to determine the range and feed that in for the scope to correct.

I figure it won't be long before they combine the features and the scope will correct for the range to whatever you are aiming at. For a price.

I know two hunters with the Sheppard. One uses it as intended and thinks it great. I asked the other why he was sighting in two inches high at 100 yards. He said he gets too excited to ring his target with the right circle, and just puts the center crosshair on the critter and shoots.
Old August 2, 2007, 01:11 PM   #6
frankxd

Barrett has a new line of scopes with built in ballistic computers. They call it: "BORS". Here is a link:
http://www.barrettrifles.com/optics_bors.aspx
Old August 2, 2007, 06:05 PM   #7
AK103K

I'll second the Shepherd. Great scopes. Hands down the fastest and easiest to use.