The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1
sabrefanpc

scope help

I have done a good deal of research, and narrowed my choices down to two scopes, the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and the Millet TRS-1. ($300-ish price range)

I am using it on a .223 for exclusive target use (no hunting, harsh elements, etc). Range will be mostly 100 yards, occasionally up to a max of 200 yards.

Any recomendations, I've noticed a cult-ish following of Leupold owners, but am unsure if the price mark-up is a cause or effect of this.

Is 9x enough magnification for my purposes? I am stepping up from a rimfire plinker, so I am pretty new to this stuff. The Millett has gotten some great reviews and the increased magnification, larger objective, and 1/8 MOA clicks are all very very tempting. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old August 2, 2007, 05:58 AM   #2
SA1911A1/45

Leup`s are good. The TRS-1 has a good rep. Getthe TRS-1.
Old August 2, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
MrGee

you may consider a fix power [no parallax problems ] for the range you mention plus as you say 'exclusively target use'.. someting like a Weaver K24X
K36X which many target shooters have been using ... i'm a big fan of Leupolds and Swift scopes, but lately there have been complaints on the swifts ? .. i own 3 high powered variable Swifts an have not had a problem