The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Choose Your Top 5 Shooting/Gun/Hunting/Camping Related Gear Types
Rifles - Hunting 42 60.00%
Rifles - EBR / Tactical/ Precison / Self-defense 30 42.86%
Shotguns - Hunting 19 27.14%
Shotguns - Tactical / Self-defense 9 12.86%
Handguns 46 65.71%
Old Collectible Guns - Long or Short 9 12.86%
Ammo or reloading components 31 44.29%
Reloading Equipment 17 24.29%
Riflescopes, Bases, & Rings 21 30.00%
Spotting Scopes / Tripods / Eyepieces 3 4.29%
Binoculars 7 10.00%
Knives - Fixed Blade 25 35.71%
Knives - Folding 31 44.29%
Swords / Bayonets / Machetes / Khukris 2 2.86%
SAKs & Multi-tools 4 5.71%
Other weapons & tools (Axes, Spears, etc.) 7 10.00%
Flashlights 23 32.86%
General camping gear (tents, stoves, bags, etc.) 13 18.57%
Hunting clothing & boots (any type) 21 30.00%
Treestands / Treesaddles / Blinds 2 2.86%
Packs (backpacks, fanny packs, etc) 14 20.00%
Misc Hunting gear (decoys, scents, calls, anything) 7 10.00%
Bows (Recurves, Longbows, Compound, or X-Bows) 9 12.86%
Camping RVs - Popup, Standard Trailers, Motorcoaches, etc. 1 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Gun Owners Who Hunt and Like Gear - What are your top 5 favorite gear "obsessions"?

If any, that is. See Poll.

Please pick your top 5 to 10 (among the 24) categories of items that you have a hard time saying no to getting more of, or upgrading/accessorizing. Please pick no more than 10.

What I'm getting at is, what are your weaknesses, that you just can't seem to get "too many" of, even though your friends tell you that your gear is pretty darned redundant. (or, so I've heard of this situation anyway......)

Of course, some of the choices like EBRs and Swords/Bayonets have nothing to do with hunting (which is why I put this in the "General" forum), but this is intentional to see in part how much overlap there is between hunting and other gun interests.

Dang, I should have added some other choices:

25. "Reactive targets, target stands, rests, and other range gear."
26. "4-Wheelers / ATVs"
27. "Boats - Any kind"
28. "GPSs, 2-Way Radios, Trail/Game Cams, Compasses & other electronic gadgets"
29. "Feeders / Food Plot Maintenance Equipment"
30. "Gun Safes"
31. "Holsters / Gun Cases"
32. Archery Equipment besides Bows - Arrows, quivers, rests, broadheads, etc."
33. "Fishing Gear" (for fisherman66 )

What else am I missing?

Met a guy this week that has about 50 (fifty) recurve bows!

Last edited by FirstFreedom; July 28, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old July 27, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
RedneckFur

I've got a thing for hunting rifles.. its too bad i cant afford many.
Recently i went on a Milsurp binge, and bought a few. I didn't pay much for any of them, and they're all nice, but the accuracy is disapointing. I doubt I'll be buying more in the near future.

I'm a knife addict. I've got well over 100, and although its been a while, its hard to resist when i see something new to add to the collection. I personally hate spyderco's and gerbers, but I love bucks, case, and kershaws. I think the best skinner out there is a case trapper pocket knife. Good, ol' yellow handle.

I like boots too. I wear them at work, and for hunting, and I belive in having the best. For several years all I wore was red-wings, but after getting a pair of Nicks custom boots, I'm not looking back. I'd advise anyone to get a pair. theyre expensive... about $300 for the cheaper ones, but once you break them in, you'll love them.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
fisherman66

fishing gear I've got about 20 rod/reels and several tackle boxes crammed with stuff I haven't used in years. There's nothin' like a good graphite rod, braided line and light weight sinker on a tube ticking across the tips of submerged timber when.............wham the rod doubles over and the drags starts to sing.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Justme

I could have voted for flashlights 4 times. It's a sickness I have hundreds of the little bastards. I have 5 or 6 headlights. At least 8 of the 2 AA mag lights. Everything from an LED on my keychain to a spotlight complete with air compressor that plugs into the range rover cigarette lighter.

But still...why can I never find one when I need it?
Old July 27, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
dbgun

Another vote for flash lights. Right now my buddies and I are trying to out do each other by showing up at deer camp with the flashlight with the most LED's. Last year I won with 32. Knives (folding and/or fixed blade) are just as bad. The othe item is 2-way radios. I'll never win that one, because I can't get away from the Midland brand, only 2 mile range, but it's enough.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Justme

32 LEDs on one flashlight? I have to get one of those!!!
Old July 27, 2007, 09:54 PM   #7
fisherman66

Some of the newer single LED (Cree/Seoul) lights are extremely powerful. ~150 lumens easy without even overdriving the emitter.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...cb1112f9a1b751
Old July 27, 2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Justme

Is this place great or what? Where else do you get links to flashlight ****?
Old July 27, 2007, 11:26 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Yeah, fish; thanks - that is an awesome flashlight - I can't believe that a tiny keychain LED can put out 135 lumens!

I have at least briefly "obsessed" a bit on virtually every category up there.

Apparently, I'm not nearly as into flashlights YET as a lot of people. I have gone on kicks for....

-Folding Knives
-Fixed Knives
-Tree stands & blinds
-Hunting Boots (I'm with you on that one, R.F.)
-Binoculars (recently)
-Rifles (pretty much continuously for the last 7-8 years)
-Riflescopes (ditto)
-Spotting Scopes / Telescopes
-Cold Weather gear & other hunting clothing (after some seriously cold unpleasant experiences)
-Swords & Bayos
-Bows (now emerging - this is a bit worrisome)
-Backpacks / Fanny Packs (bigtime & ongoing)

I do buy a lot of ammo, but I don't consider it weird or obsessive because you really can't have too much ammo, so it's not really redundant to have a lot of ammo stored up.
Old July 28, 2007, 02:46 PM   #10
fisherman66

I put my head in the flashlight game a year or so ago, but didn't plunk down much cash. Some of those guys are nuts for dropping a grand in a flashlight. I enjoy the community of people here. I wish I had a great collection of firearms, but I don't. I have many friends here and I learn most every visit. Sometimes I even have something good to add to the conversation.
Old July 28, 2007, 05:07 PM   #11
lockedcj7

I can't pass up a good deal on a dirty Remington. (I like my women just a little on the trashy side.)

I've bought several Remington rifles and shotguns just because they were cheap. I clean them up and they always function (and usually look) like new. Now if I could just bring myself to sell them.

I also have a thing for tiny (but powerful) flashlights. The streamlight stylus won me accolades from my buddies last year.
Old July 28, 2007, 07:22 PM   #12
john1911

I'm always lusting after handguns. After that, it's reloading supplies/components/ammo. Third on the list would be muzzle loading rifles and supplies. All of my deer hunting is done with handguns or muzzle loaders.
Old July 28, 2007, 08:47 PM   #13
taylorce1

Hunting rifles and optics are my two biggest weakness. I especially like fancy wood and blued steel.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:16 PM   #14
dbgun

I forgot to mention my kick on hunting gloves, as well. If the're on sale at Wal-Mart, I'll buy them. I think I have about 5 different pairs for this coming season.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:44 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

On second thought, this thread DOES fit better here than in "General".

I think I'm about to round out my optics kick. I have gotten pretty well over my knives & stands/blinds kicks too. I think the packs kick will be cured once I get my Badlands 4500. I'm *almost* cured of my old-milsurp-turnbolts obsession, too.

But I feel a reloading gear kick coming on, since my income is taking a downward hit in the not-too-distant future. I already have a bunch of gear, but it has gathered dust the last 2-3 years, as I had been too busy to reload. Reloading is going to become more of a necessity now - but a fun necessity at that. Time to start sorting & polishing all this brass here. [I'm guessing throw out the powder that's been in the powder dropper for 2+ years? I'd imagine the chem composition might have changed being in there that long interacting with the plastic sides of the powder drop & air & dust?]

dbgun, oh yeah, I'm a sucker for anything that is camo and/or keeps me warm. If it's both and on sale, then fuggidaboutit.

But, rifles & riflescopes kick is neverending it seems... sigh. Taylorce, I too am a sucker for pretty/fancy wood & blued steel.
Old August 5, 2007, 10:27 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

Anyone else? With some 20K members, I was hoping to get around 1% of the members to vote, giving me 200 votes. So far only 29....
Old August 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #17
robc

Handguns are beginning to eat me alive. I've had a purchase permit for just about a year and I already own seven of them.

I kinda think .22s are their own category as well.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:32 PM   #18
Martyn4802

You left one option off the poll at the bottom; "All Of The Above"!

Martyn
Old August 8, 2007, 05:03 PM   #19
davlandrum

Camo hunting clothes - all the different patterns, have to have some for hot weather, cool weather, cold weather, wet weather, some scent-loc, some for the coast, some for the desert, bibs, jackets, shirts, some for when I am skinny, some for when I am not so skinny....

There has to be a 12-step program for this...

Thank god I earn Cabela's points on my credit card...
Old August 9, 2007, 09:54 AM   #20
gunmoney

How about outdoor clothing and footwear besides just hunting clothing. Stuff such as Patagonia, Arcteryx, OR, Cloudveil, Moutain Hardware, etc. Much of this stuff has replaced my conventional hunting clothing. I have a weird obsession with outdoor type socks, Lorpen, Smartwool, Bridgedale, etc. I must have about 250 pairs of socks. Besides that, as listed, I have an unhealthy obsession with custom/high end tactical knives both fixed and folding. I can never have enough Surefires. Of course, much more of this along with the obvious want for every type of scary, evil, genocidal, firearm I can lay my hands on.
Old August 9, 2007, 02:09 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

Good point, shoulda put that in there - wow, man that IS a lot of socks.

I find it somewhat surprising that even though the poll is *supposed* to be limited to hunters, almost 70% have an obsession with handguns, and yet only 57% chose hunting rifles, and only 28% chose hunting shotguns.

And no one chose tree stands & blinds. I picked my top 10, but if I had picked 11 instead, I would have made stands & blinds my 11th choice. I have around 5 blinds and 4 stands.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:12 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Not on there, but I love my GPS. Don't really need it, but damn I like knowing exactly how many feet I am above sea level.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:33 PM   #23
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I shoulda had it on there as I said above:

Quote:
Dang, I should have added some other choices:

25. "Reactive targets, target stands, rests, and other range gear."
26. "4-Wheelers / ATVs"
27. "Boats - Any kind"
28. "GPSs, 2-Way Radios, Trail/Game Cams, Compasses & other electronic gadgets"
29. "Feeders / Food Plot Maintenance Equipment"
30. "Gun Safes"
31. "Holsters / Gun Cases"
32. Archery Equipment besides Bows - Arrows, quivers, rests, broadheads, etc."
33. "Fishing Gear"
You want to know just how many feet above sea level eh? Do you have an irrational fear of falling into the sea, or what?
Old August 9, 2007, 10:01 PM   #24
22-rimfire

First Freedom: This is one of the first polls I have seen on the forum that I thought was well thought out and there are few people going to say... but I like 41 mags better... where is it?

My obsessions change like most people's. I've been on a rifle kick lately. I have never honestly been interested in scopes other than to just get one I like that is appropriate to the rifle and use.

Been on a knife fixation for the last couple of years. There there is the collector stuff that I can't really afford. The list never gets smaller, it only changes from one thing to another.
Old August 15, 2007, 11:03 AM   #25
jhgreasemonkey

Camo and Ammo!