The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1
pjn003

Glock 17 vs Glock 19

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a 9mm semiauto to get started on. I will use it mostly for target shoooting, learning how to shoot a pistol and everything, but also just to have a firearm at my house for home defense and possibly use for concealed carry eventually once i am very familiar with it.

Which one would you choose? I think the compact models may fit better in my hand i held a 23 and it felt really nice.

Thanks
Old July 26, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Dot_mdb

If you think you are going to carry it concealed than go with the 19.

Bill
Old July 26, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
nate45

I like the size of the 19 personally.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4
pjn003

cc is the least of my concerns. I mostly want a good gun to get started on, what are the pros/cons for both?
Old July 27, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5
nate45

They are both good the 17 holds 17 rnds and weighs 24.75 oz the 19 holds 15 rnds and weighs 23.5 oz.

For target shooting you might like the longer sight radius of the 17.
Old July 27, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
asianthug

If you are a tall person, a 17 is a better choice as it is an excellent range gun, home defense gun, toy guns (for big boys), and potential CCW gun. I am 5'10 and think it is a decent size, especially in winter. A 17 rds capacity is totally worth the extra barrel length for carry. G19 is greater for small folks with very little room to hide it on their person.
Old July 27, 2007, 01:22 AM   #7
RevolverLover

Hold both then make your decision.....you can't go wrong with either.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old July 27, 2007, 01:29 AM   #8
IanS

Personally, I prefer the G17/G34 but the G19 is a nice rounded package for a lot of people. The grips (though they are essentially the same) feel and hold differently between the G19 and G17 frames. Try them both. Either way with the 9mm Glocks you'll be getting the Glocks that established their reputation for durability and reliability.
Old July 27, 2007, 01:44 AM   #9
2afreedom

I own a 19 and was issued a 17 for a week-long firearms course during which we probably shot 1500 rounds. For me the 19 balances and feels better and I shoot better with it as a result. You only give up 2 rounds of mag capacity to go with the 19 and you get a much more concealable gun if you ever do decide to carry. I have had my G19 for six years and Bill Gates does not have enough money to buy it. It is truly a super dependable firearm. I have never replaced a part on it and I have shot thousands of rounds through it. I carry it daily. That being said if the 17 feels better to you then go for it. I am sure it is just as good.
Old July 27, 2007, 02:10 AM   #10
BillCA

As a "starting gun" for a novice, I'll go against the pack here and suggest you check out some other guns before finalizing on the Glock.

Glocks are good guns and I own a G17 myself. It's my opinion, however, that your first semi-auto pistol should have an external manual safety. You might want to check out the Sig, S&W, CZ and Beretta pistols before you commit. I recently held a Beretta 92FS and found it's handling quite nice.

The most important thing, however, is to get some competent instruction on the range. This will go a long way to building your confidence with any pistol you select.
Old July 27, 2007, 05:50 AM   #11
ATW525

I'm with the crowd that says you should try both before making a choice, if you haven't already. At least grip both in your hands. The grip on the 19 is not simply the grip of the 17 with a half inch hacked off the bottom. The compact Glocks have a different finger groove spacing and slightly higher "hump" on the backstrap, so there is definitely a different feel to both.

Also, you technically give up nothing in magazine capacity if you decide the 19 does indeed fit you better, since it readily accepts the 17's magazines and Glock magazines are cheap (it's almost criminal how inexpensive Glock magazines are compared to factory magazines of many other handgun manufacturers ).
Old July 27, 2007, 10:54 AM   #12
IanS

Quote:
Glocks are good guns and I own a G17 myself. It's my opinion, however, that your first semi-auto pistol should have an external manual safety. You might want to check out the Sig, S&W, CZ and Beretta pistols before you commit. I recently held a Beretta 92FS and found it's handling quite nice.

The most important thing, however, is to get some competent instruction on the range. This will go a long way to building your confidence with any pistol you select.
I agree you should consider your options instead of just setting yourself on a Glock. True a Glock does not have a manual safety. It has a 5.5 lbs trigger and before field stripping the trigger must be pulled ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER. Whereas a 1911 has a 4.5-5 lbs trigger with manual safety or a DA/SA gun typically has an initial 10-12 lbs DA trigger and 4-6 lbs SA trigger. But I believe one is either safe around firearms or they're not. One is either trained or not. If the person does not bother to do a chamber check to know the status of the weapon and puts their finger on the trigger what might happen? Whether its a DA/SA gun, 1911, or Glock? And just because a gun has a safety should the person be lulled into thinking its okay to sometimes put their finger on the trigger when not intending to shoot? That's a terrible habit to get into. The basic rules of firearms safety always applies to all guns. Like any gun, a Glock is as safe or as dangerous as the person holding it.
Old July 27, 2007, 12:35 PM   #13
glockman19

Both are good guns. I decided on the 19 over the 17 because it felt better was slightly smallre & lighter and could serve the dual purpose of target & CCW. IMHO Glock makes the best 9mm available. reliable, Accurate and practically indestructible. Parts are readily available amd there are plenty of accessories amd modifications you can make. First would be to switch out the OEM trigger pull for a #3.5.

Here are the differences between teh two:

GLOCK 17
WEIGHT
625 g / 22.04 oz.
LOADED
905 g / 31.91 oz.

LENGTH
186 mm / 7.32 in.
HEIGHT
138 mm / 5.43 in.

MAG. CAPACITY
Standard: 17
OPTIONAL
19 / 33

WIDTH
30 mm / 1.18 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
165 mm / 6.49 in.

BARREL LENGTH
114 mm / 4.49 in.

GLOCK 19
WEIGHT
595 g / 20.99 oz.
LOADED
850 g / 29.98 oz.

LENGTH
174 mm / 6.85 in.
HEIGHT
127 mm / 5.00 in.
MAG. CAPACITY
Standard: 15
OPTIONAL
17 / 19 / 33

WIDTH
30 mm / 1.18 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
153 mm / 6.02 in.

BARREL LENGTH
102 mm / 4.02 in.
Old July 27, 2007, 06:33 PM   #14
Zak Smith

If you take someone new to handguns and run them through a tactical/fighting pistol handgun class, he or she will spend less time fighting with the controls of the Glock vs. the 1911/SIG/Beretta. This results in being able to spend more attention on getting good hits and being safe when using the Glock vs. another pistol that has a more complicated manual of arms. I have witnessed this at multiple classes.

-z
Old July 27, 2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Hallucinator

Glock 19 is a sweet pistol, and so is the 23. I carry the 23 and practice with it weekly. If you get a 23 you'll have to master it. It has a lot of pop for a light gun.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old July 28, 2007, 12:48 AM   #16
SA75

Hi, pjn

You should really try both before you make your decision.

I didn't try both before I bought my G19 but I guess I was lucky... Had the opportunity to try a G17 at the range and to my surprise I didn't shoot it as well as my G19. The recoil was softer on the G17 but I spread the shots more. The funny thing was that the guy I borrowed the gun from shot better with my G19 than his G17 also... :-)
Old July 28, 2007, 06:10 AM   #17
FS2K

Oddly enough, the added barrel length of the G17 isn't that noticable between the 2

And this is coming from a G17 owner of 20+ years! The G19 is a very enjoyable gun to shoot and is very accurate. The only non-Glock 9mm I could compare the G19 to is the HK P7 another awesome 9mm.
Old July 28, 2007, 06:31 AM   #18
stephen426

Quote:
As a "starting gun" for a novice, I'll go against the pack here and suggest you check out some other guns before finalizing on the Glock.

Bill,

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that Glocks are fine for first timers. While they do not have manual safeties, unsafe handling of any gun will lead to unintentional discharges. For Sigs, all you have to do is pull the trigger (granted the DA pull is much heavier than Glock's Safe Action trigger).

I believe Glock's main advantage is its consistent trigger pull. Unlike many DA/SA guns, each pull of the trigger is the same. That is one of the main reasons I switched to carrying Glocks instead of my Sig. By starting with Glock, he will not have to "adjust" to the grip angle.

Glocks are great guns and I believe that you will love yours. The Glock 19 will do almost everything the 17 will while being much more concealable. Heck, you might want to buy the 17 for the range and buy a Glock 26 for carry.
Old July 28, 2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Officer's Match

nineteen
Old July 29, 2007, 12:31 AM   #20
BillCA

Stephen,

We'll disagree then. I think novice users and novices to the semi-auto pistol need to have a positive safety device. I've seen a number of AD's at the local range because newbies don't keep their booger hooks off the bang button.

Notably, all of the AD's were with Glocks, with the exception of one decocker Sig that was still cocked.
Old July 29, 2007, 12:34 AM   #21
Zak Smith

For more or less untrained people plinking at the range, you are probably right.

For someone who is going to train with a pistol for defensive use, I stand by my statement.
Old July 29, 2007, 01:09 AM   #22
Rogueone

I just bought a 19 today and just got back from my range and dumping about 280 rounds of mixed ammo thru it. I had some Winchester 147gr JHP, some Blazer Brass 115gr hardball, just picked up some normal Blazer (aluminum casing) hardball, and bought some Hornaday 124gr JHP and Remington Golder Sabre 124gr +P JHP's.

I had 1 stove pipe in the second mag I shot. I mixed the ammo up in most of the mag loads I did for the first hour, and other than the one SP, it was flawless! I also have a Sig SP2009, and I've shot my friends 19, but until I took this one out there and just shot it, I didn't realize how much I'd like it. I previously hadn't really liked the Glock sights, but after all this shooting, I found I can really site in quickly and naturally. I had some of my best groupings ever tonight. And the Hornaday's were the most surprising. They were dead on, while the RGS's were wildly inaccurate. I was shooting 5 per mag at 2 targets about 20 ft away, one would be the Horns one the Rems. I had no problem hitting near where I was aiming with the Horns. The Rems at first I wasn't even hitting the target (about a 5" shoot n see). I think being the first time I've ever tried +P loads, I just wasn't ready for the extra oompf.

As a beginner, you are very likely to shoot the 17 better. But once you've put say 500 rounds down range, I suspect you would find you'll be almost equally as accurate under 25ft with the 19. Keep in mind, for defensive shooting, statistics show the avg distance is like 7 to 10 ft. And in some places, probably many, beyond 20 yards the law likely won't consider you in imminent danger and if you shoot someone out at say 30 yards, they'll be asking you why you didn't just run away.

Definitely get the one that holds better. But also ask to try on some holsters. Try a couple IWB (inside the waistband) and some OWB and get an idea walking around the store how they rub. Sit down, stand up, bend over, sit in a chair that is like a dinner table style if they have one, sit in something closer to a car seat, and get an idea how much the extra .5" of L and H the 17 carries pushes into you. If none, take the 17. If you get poked some with the 17 and not the 19, you'll likely carry the 19 at times you wouldn't the 17 because of the comfort factor

oh and for a newbie shooter, if you are into this sort of thing, there are .22LR conversion kits for Glocks so you could get in some practice that way for a lot less if ammo costs get you down at any point. I'm planning to get one by next weekend to test out how well it works for getting better at not flinching and with holding the sights on target. I'm hopeful it'll remove my jumpiness when firing