The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1
DIXIE

Remington Made In China?

PLEASE tell me the Remington 870 is not made in China by Norinco!

I have heard that from two good gun sources and cannot believe it.

I have some older 870's and they are tops but saw one a Wally Mart which looked like a knock off.

What is true here?

Thanks.
Old July 12, 2007, 05:59 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't know which company is making them in China - and it may vary by model within the 870 line - but I do know the 870 express models are made in China now ( or at least many of the parts are being imported from China ).

I agree - it is sad.
Old July 12, 2007, 06:01 PM   #3
BigJimP

I don't have documentation of it - I should have said, I have heard the same thing from a number of good sources in the industry but I can't prove it.
Old July 12, 2007, 06:02 PM   #4
RevolverLover

Quote:
I do know the 870 express models are made in China now ( or at least many of the parts are being imported from China ).
Source for this information?

Quote:
PLEASE tell me the Remington 870 is not made in China by Norinco!
Its not. There are many 870 clones out there. You probably saw the H&R Pardner pump.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old July 12, 2007, 06:07 PM   #5
mapwd

New England Firearms co. Imports a copy of the 870 from China. (called the NEF Pardner Pump). it is not made by Norinco, I dont remember the manufacture. (Hawk Industries I think). I work in a gun shop and have NEVER heard that any of the actual Remingtons were made in China, and would have a hard time beliveing that. I do own a Chinese made 870 copy from NEF and it functions great, just as well if not better than the actual 870.
Remington has a line of auto shotties and O/U-SxS's that are imported from Russia (baikal) called the SPR453, spr310, etc. maybe thats what you heard?

The NEF guns are are the H&R guns also
Old July 12, 2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Remington makes all their "core" guns in America.
They do import some foreign made guns, but these are well known and not that many.

The 870 is a "core" gun and it's darned well made here in the USA.

The Chinese have been ripping off American and European gun makers products for years.
Usually, the guns copied are no longer covered by patents.

The Chinese, (Norinco) makes copies of several American shotguns, including the Remington 870, the Winchester Models 1897 and the 1887 lever action, and the Ithaca Model 37.

These guns are found with a variety of makers marks, sometimes as Norinco, sometimes as "Factory Number 12" or similar, and often with an importers name.
The 870 "clone" has been sold as the Norinco, Brolin, Interstate Arms, and Hawk, among other names, but the guns are actually made in the same Chinese Army owned firearms plants, no matter what the name.
The Chinese are well known for stamping anything the customer wants on the guns.

Recently the Chinese have begun to alter the outward cosmetic appearance for US importers to make the guns look like something else.
As example, the NEF guns have a "hump back" receiver to alter what is still just a direct copy of the Remington 870.
Old July 12, 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I think Remington 870 is made in USA although there are a number of Communist Chinese knockoffs.

Remington is bringing in guns from our friends who used to be our enemies in Russia and the Yugoslavian part of the Warsaw Pact invasion forces.
Old July 14, 2007, 09:36 AM   #8
oletymer

They are still made in the US contrary to what some of the expert posters imply.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:04 PM   #9
gak1

Customers whine and bellyache about stuff like "buying American", but when it comes down to pulling out the wallet they only buy from China, Japan, Turkey etc. to save a few bucks.

My favourite line with customers who whined about Winchester and complained about Remington getting guns from Russia was: "Ok, can I wrap up one of those Wingmasters for you ? We'll just go to the front to pay for it, then I'll do the paperwork for you."

Every. Single. One. Said: "Uhhh, lemme see one of those chinese ones, they're just as good right ?" Then the only thing that came out of their mouths from that point on is: "Ya, well this china one is good enough for what I need.":barf:

The store stopped getting new Wingmasters completely. Customers insist on only buying from china. No wonder Wal-mart rakes it in hand over fist.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:30 PM   #10
boltgun71

The Remington 870 is made in Ilion, NY. I live about 1 hour from the plant and will also be doing a tour their in about a week.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:56 PM   #11
herbie53

After all the items in the news lately about the chinese products, I have been discarding the made in China items. Sometimes cheap is good, but I have a lot of reservations about the real quality of commercially made Chinese firearms. They want to break into our auto market too.
Old July 14, 2007, 05:10 PM   #12
LICCW

Hope their shotguns are of better quality than their dog food.
Old July 14, 2007, 06:26 PM   #13
Don H

What gives you the idea that Remington makes dog food?
Old July 14, 2007, 06:58 PM   #14
RevolverLover

Quote:
What gives you the idea that Remington makes dog food?
I believe he was refering to the Chinese shotgun clones.

Old July 14, 2007, 07:08 PM   #15
Dfariswheel

From what I've personally seen over the years as a gunsmith, a Chinese made gun is ALWAYS suspect for quality of steel and quality of heat treating, until proven to be good.

This doesn't mean they're junk, it just means quality fluctuates, and you need to watch it if you buy one to make sure a problem doesn't appear unexpectedly, or unnoticed.
Old July 14, 2007, 07:31 PM   #16
biglabsrule

Quote:
This doesn't mean they're junk, it just means quality fluctuates
Wait run that by me again? Sounds like something a polotician would say. If the tolerances and quality are not consistant that makes it a less product, does it not? You pay more for a wingmaster because you know you can rely on them to work, everytime.

ok, maybe not "junk", but not up to par with the tight tolerances exc. a wingmaster has to jump hurdles through...right?
Old July 14, 2007, 10:41 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Quote:
From what I've personally seen over the years as a gunsmith, a Chinese made gun is ALWAYS suspect for quality of steel and quality of heat treating, until proven to be good.
Taurus!!!!!!!!

WildhadtotossthatinAlaska
Old July 18, 2007, 04:11 PM   #18
Running Gunfight

So was an honest to goodness answer reached here? Are parts of the 870 made in china?

edit to add:

Quote:
The 870 is a "core" gun and it's darned well made here in the USA.
I tend to believe this until proven otherwise.

Last edited by Running Gunfight; July 18, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old July 18, 2007, 04:41 PM   #19
Rmstn1580

Outsourcing not only takes away jobs Americans could have, but it kind of takes away pride in your product! I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum, and now that I know it's made in China, I feel bad -_- I want full American made!
Old July 18, 2007, 06:32 PM   #20
Dfariswheel

To be clear.

The Remington 870 is made in America from American parts.
As far as I know, Remington has NO dealings with the Chinese.
Old July 18, 2007, 09:17 PM   #21
RevolverLover

Quote:
I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum, and now that I know it's made in China, I feel bad -_- I want full American made!
The Remington 870 is not made in China.