The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should I do the following about the missing mags
Forget about it and consider it a lesson learned. 7 21.21%
Ask for half the value of the missing mags. 3 9.09%
Ask for the full value of the missing mags. 18 54.55%
Out the guy and tell the mods. 7 21.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
lawdogso

Let the Board Decide

Guys and Gals, I bought a gun from a guy out of state. The mags were going to another address. He claimed he shipped them but I never got a tracking # and he says he threw it away. There has been almost no information from him about this and I have waited a long time for him to do something about it. I posted in this forum a month ago about this and he stepped in and said he was working on it with the post office. I finally contacted him today and this is what I said. " A lot of time has passed and I have been very patient. It is time for a solution to the missing mags. What do you purpose?"

He replied..." I have no idea....tell me how much $ you want and if it's within my means I'll send it to you....This entire deal is wacked and I'm really tired of it. I SENT THE MAGS WHERE YOU SAID TO SEND THEM AND NOW IT'S MY FAULT YOU DIDN'T GET THEM. Just great.

Ok all... what would you do if it was your situation? There are four Glock mags that did not arrive. Give me your opinion.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

You're the one interacting with him and therefore probably the best judge of the situation. If you think he's honestly trying to work with you then I'd keep working with him until things are resolved or break down.

Another option is to work out a temporary solution for the current situation with an understanding that if the mags turn up things change.

For future reference, the staff does not arbitrate disputes over transactions. Actions are taken (or not taken) by the staff based on TFL's rules, not based on who has the best case. As long as the discussion regarding the transaction remains civil and on-topic, generally no action will be taken.
Old July 7, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
RsqVet

Have him send you what 4 used mags from CDNN or other sources would cost, or the mags. He may be on the up and up however it will be an important lesson in CYA when it ocmes to shipping things.
Old July 7, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Tommy Vercetti

was the USPS insurance too expensive ?
Old July 7, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Edward429451

Better to buy insurance than have your name dragged thru the muck online.

He sounds like he's on the up and up. I would prolly tell him to send me what he feels would be right. Then you'll see what he's made of.

When I barter or buy online I figure I have a 50/50 chance of it showing up ok so I either take the chance with no insurance (if the value is below what I'd be willing to replace if it's lost), or buy the insurance if it would strain me too much financially.

Money can be replaced but reputation sticks for a long time.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:25 PM   #6
lawdogso

He claims to have gotten all that. I contacted him about four weeks later asking where the mags were and he said it had been so long since they were sent, he threw all the paperwork away. I never got a tracking # but he claims he had it. I really don't know what to think.
Old July 16, 2007, 09:55 PM   #7
kolob10

Mags

Give the guy a chance to make good on his offer to replace the mags with the assurance that if the mags show up, you will return either the mags or the money. I've had a couple items show up after several weeks due to a USPS or UPS fiasco. On another occasion, the items were stolen by the carrier's employee and held until the trial was completed for evidence. This one I never did receive.
Old July 16, 2007, 10:47 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

It depends upon what your agreement was with him..

Was your agreement when you made the deal that he give you a tracking number (i.e. that he send it by private carrier, not the USPS)?

Was your agreement that he would insure it?

I tend to think though, that I'd ask for the full value of the mags, and if he balks, then ask for half.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:04 PM   #9
lawdogso

Done and over

I have settled this for 50% the mags value. I made the offer and he accepted. Closed.