The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old July 4, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
V4Vendetta

Rifle Raffle. Is it legal?

I live & work in NC. I'm thinking of holding a rifle raffle to draw customers to my shop. The item would be a used Ruger 10/22 carbine with 2 10-round magazines, 2 5-round magazines, the rails for a scope if the winner chooses to use a scope & scope.

FTF sales are legal here but I'd like TFL's thoughts as far as legality & if it would look bad on the 2A. I have no FFL license & would like to know if it's possible for me to call in a background check to be on the safe side but not use a 4473. If yes, how much is it & what is the number?

Thanks for the advice.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old July 4, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2
westphoenix

I don't know the law, but if I decided to do something like this I would run it through a dealer. To cover yourself someone should complete the form and have the background check completed.

I do not believe you can call in the background check yourself.
You may be transferring a firearm to a prohibited possessor.
Find a local FFL who will do the transfer, Im sure you can find one who will do it cheap.
Old July 4, 2007, 02:21 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I was a member of a club in SC and we raffled off an 870 Exp. two years in a row. We paid for it and the winner picked it up at the gunshop, did the NIC and 4473 form. No problems.
Old July 5, 2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Doyle

I can't tell you about NC, but I know lots of "organizations" that hold raffles in FL and GA for rifles and shotguns. Ducks Unlimited is one of the biggest. They do it at all their banquets.
Old July 5, 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
EvilAerosolCan

The winner will have to get a permit to purchase a firearm (I'm not sure if that's a 4473) through the sheriff's office, or be a CCH holder. I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about a background check (it's covered through the permit/CCH process), just make sure they have the permit from the sheriff or own a valid CCH.
Old July 5, 2007, 09:38 AM   #6
V4Vendetta

Quote:
The winner will have to get a permit to purchase a firearm

That's only if the gun is a pistol. I'm talking about a rifle. If I do decide to raffle the 10/22, I'll have an FFL do the transfer.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old July 5, 2007, 10:12 AM   #7
EvilAerosolCan

Quote:
That's only if the gun is a pistol. I'm talking about a rifle. If I do decide to raffle the 10/22, I'll have an FFL do the transfer.
I missed that part, but rifles still follow the same requirements. The only exception is that you can only get one handgun with one permit, but you can get any number of rifles with one pemit as long as they are all in one transaction. Oh, and you only have to be 18 to own a rifle. If the winner has a CCH they won't need the permit.
Old July 5, 2007, 10:45 AM   #8
V4Vendetta

In NC, if you want to sell a long gun to some guy & you have to do is get the cash & give him the gun. No permit is neccesary unless your county says so but mine doesn't & I'm not sure that county's have the authority to decide that.

It may be a good idea to only sell a long gun to someone with a CCL but it's not required.

Old July 5, 2007, 08:53 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sure raffles are legal. You may to go through a dealer to transfer the firearm though. In CA we do. It may be better since there some assurance that you took some safeguard that you weren't negligently transferring a gun to the next mass murderer.
Old July 5, 2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Gbro

Here in MN raffles are gambling, and it is done through a licensed charitable gambling organization. Proceeds are strictly controlled.
As for checking out the recipient of the firearm, Our County Sheriff must do a search if say for example i , being a Joe Blow citizen is selling a shotgun through an add in the paper.
Richard Noggin, answers the add and i don't know him from Adam, I ask for his ID and submit the number to the county sheriff, He must do the check and give me a go no-go.
I would be most wise to get a signed bill of sale and keep it forever!
Old July 6, 2007, 07:26 AM   #11
blume357

even though lots of folks in lots of states hold raffles... I

believe the person above is right.. It is considered gambling by most authorities... when done by a group to raize money most LEO would not even think about calling the issue...

You might be okay you might not... depends on N.C. gambling laws as well as how folks who don't like you feel.

I'm sure there is a way to do it and not get in trouble.