The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
tools

First timer

Just getting interested in reloading. I've been reading a bit of this forum, and I have ordered the "ABC's" book. My interest is in reloading .223 for hi-power match competition -- so accuracy is paramount, quantity per hour not so much. That said though, I like the idea of a turret press whcih I think could speed things up a bit.

So, my question is: Is the Lee Classic Turret press capabile of super accuracy/precision? Os should I go with the RCBS Turret? Or is neither one capable of match precision?
Old June 27, 2007, 02:10 AM   #2
rwilson452

in theory the turret press will not be as accurate and a good "O" press. AS I have used the Lee turret for many years I have not seen this. With either press loading for .223 I would suggest you trickle charge each case for best accuracy. Finding the best set of components that your rifle likes is going to be the challenge.
Old June 27, 2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Glennster

I think I tried about 20 - 25 different combinations, between types of powder, amounts of powder, bullets and bullet seating depths to find the magic load for my .308!
rwilson452 is right, you need one of those sweet little electronic powder measure machines, they're fast and easy, and you get a very accurate powder weight each time.
The powder measure on the Dillon 550 that I've got is not real accurate and it's messy, it spills a little powder with each load when I load rifle calibers. But it's great for the 45 ACP and other hand gun calibers..
Old June 27, 2007, 08:24 AM   #4
PeteQuad

I'm not sure why a turret couldn't be as precise as a single stage. Perhaps if you wanted to weigh each individual charge, you can do without the Pro Auto Disk and use your scale, a trickler, and a funnel for that stage, but for the other stages I'm not sure what could be different.
Old June 27, 2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Martyn4802

My oldest Son shoots High Power Competetively.
He uses an RCBS single stage press for depriming and bullet seating, and an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for getting his powder charges right. He seats primers with a Lee Autoprime tool.
Bullet alignment and cartridge case concentricity are important for ultimate accuracy. I personally use Wilson straight line seaters to get this issue handled, with good results too.

Martyn
Old June 27, 2007, 10:10 AM   #6
rwilson452

As an After thought I would remind the new guy starting to reload for the first time. when searching for that "perfect" load for your rifle there are no shortcuts. change one variable at a time. When I ladder up a powder charge I build them in groups of 3 rounds each. When I find a range of loads that looks worth more effort I go to 5 shot groups, and lastly to a 10 shot group. I think you will find with the .223 a +/- .1 grains is about all it will tolerate and maintain accuracy. This is not a hard and fast rule but it's generally true. With my 30-06 A can vary a charge over a range of .5 grains and not see a change. In this case I still do a .1 grain step load process to find the middle of that sweet spot then load at the point knowing if the charge is off a bit it won't matter. How much forgiveness in charge weight I'm sure is a function of case capacity and powder speed. Generally speaking loads that fill the case to near capacity are more accurate than those that leave a lot of empty case. Best accuracy is ususally something less that the max charge possible.
Old June 27, 2007, 03:52 PM   #7
mrawesome22

I don't see how a turret press would speed up .223Rem loading. You only use two dies, and changing them only takes a few seconds.